1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

When the Herschel Walker trade went down w/ the Vikings

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by SteveOS, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Trust me, I don't plan to. Aside from the excruciating pain and prayers that death would come quickly, after the pain medication then wears off, you are still sitting there with the Cowboys mess.
  2. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,180 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    I was very excited because of all those draft picks.....and I thought it could really help our team.

But, honestly at the time, I never dreamed just how much it would actually help our team!
  3. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,790 Messages
    1,180 Likes Received
    I think the headline in the DMN was, "The Great Train Robbery". I was thrilled with all of the picks, didn't know too much about the players and got ticked at the RB who refused to come to Dallas.(Nelson?) I was really disappointed in Hershell's play, the oline wasn't good enough at that time to give him a hole and he couldn't make much room on his own. If teams could force him outside they could stop him. He was strictly a straight ahead one cut back.
  4. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,004 Messages
    5,039 Likes Received
    I thought it was the greatest trade in the history of the NFL and would surely bring us at least 3 super bowl victories. Kinda weird how it all worked out huh?
  5. jem88

jem88 Active Member

2,698 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As soon as I saw the immortal #30 in a Cowboys uniform, I knew it was a great trade. The draft picks were nice, but that trade also landed us our catalyst, gave us a CB with swagger, and instantly made us the coolest team in the NFL. Thank you Jimmy Johnson! Thank you for bringing the man to Dallas!!
  6. CowboyMike

CowboyMike Stay Thirsty, My Friends

5,212 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    He re-signed with the Cowboys? I don't remember. Can anyone tell the story? Was it to retire a Cowboy?
  7. blindzebra

blindzebra Benched

9,481 Messages
    743 Likes Received
    I was at the game at KC and was talking to fans that came up from Dallas who asked me about the trade since the Dallas media were ripping on the trade.

I said we'd be in the Super Bowl in 3 years because of the trade.
  8. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,444 Messages
    341 Likes Received
    great trade.
  9. Natedawg44

Natedawg44 Active Member

2,598 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Does anyone remember Walkers first game when he ran out of his shoe on a carry. It was pretty much downhill for the Vikings after than play.
  10. Scotman

Scotman Member

861 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Honestly, I was down. I loved Walker and thought he was going to save the team. In the end, he did. Just not in the way I pictured it.

Once I understood the magnitude of the trade (how many pics and people), I couldn't help but like it.
  11. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,444 Messages
    341 Likes Received
    He played the whole 1997 season for the boys. He was 37 at the time. He even played fullback with him and Emmitt on the field at the same time. Ironically in 1986 he did the same with Dorsett but if was always in the pro set not in the i-formation like he did in '97. BTW we had a 7-9 record that year and fired Switzer at the end of the season. Poor Herchell, he never smelled the SB in Dallas or elsewhere.
  12. KD

KD Active Member

2,090 Messages
    8 Likes Received
  13. JackMagist

JackMagist The Great Communicator

5,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I knew that the Cowboys sucked at the time and as some of you may have seen me say..."RB is not a position that you build around" so I was not devastated to lose him. Plus seeing what we were getting for him even before it came to fruition it was obvious that Jimmy Johnson had just raped the Vikings and left them smiling.
  14. Payton34Smith22

Payton34Smith22 Active Member

1,455 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    LMAO! Nice post! :laugh2: