When were you glad the team didn't get who you wanted to draft?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Reverend Conehead, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

2,679 Messages
    2,024 Likes Received
    For me that's easy. I wanted Paxton Lynch in this last draft. Man, was Dak ever a better deal. Lynch might end up being a good QB. Time will tell, but Dak was a once in a lifetime find.

Second place is Melvin Gordon. I wanted him after we lost Murray, but Zeke is way, way better.

Your turn. Who is a player you wanted, but are glad we didn't get?

2. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

8,274 Messages
    7,479 Likes Received
    Like many others like yourself, I wanted Paxton Lynch as well, although I haven't looked back since we got blessed with Dak instead. I also wanted Zeke as my #1 pick last year. Needless to say, things turned out extremely well and then some!

I hope either Takk McKinley, Charles Harris or TJ Watt as our #1 guy this year. Give me CB Quincy Wilson as our #2 and I'm well pleased.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Ranching likes this.
  3. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

8,046 Messages
    3,738 Likes Received
    Aaron Hernandez

Too soon?

IrishAnto, ShiningStar, BAZ and 16 others like this.
  4. okstateCowboy

okstateCowboy Well-Known Member

761 Messages
    1,436 Likes Received
    Manziel and Lynch

CowboysWillRise and Bullflop like this.
  5. superonyx

superonyx Well-Known Member

5,176 Messages
    4,850 Likes Received
    RB Ingram
    WR Treadwell

BoysfanfromNY and lqmac1 like this.
  6. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

32,514 Messages
    17,993 Likes Received
    I wasn't be sure about Tyron Smith and actually wanted to trade down for the two-for of Anthony Costanzo and Danny Watkins. D'oh!
    :facepalm:

7. bsheeern

bsheeern Well-Known Member

2,021 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    One of the biggest debates this board had for a while was D Ware vs Merriman. I slightly preferred Merriman over Ware. He was just Nastier at the point of attack vs Ware. Ware was more speed & finesse. Come to find out, it was steroids that made Merriman that way. Glad we got Ware.

sadams, JJHLH1, Eanwen and 7 others like this.
  8. Ranching

Ranching Well-Known Member

6,170 Messages
    14,656 Likes Received
    I really wanted Escobar, oh wait, my bad.

RGV_Clos, robbieruff, BigStar and 5 others like this.
  9. The Quest for Six

The Quest for Six Well-Known Member

11,147 Messages
    4,163 Likes Received

He was so good with the lasso, he was dying to become a Cowboy!!

10. Leadbelly

Leadbelly Well-Known Member

1,984 Messages
    1,228 Likes Received
    Easy. 2013 draft.

Chance Warmack and Jonathan Cooper topped my wish list (and I was far from the only one). Can't miss guys. CAN'T. MISS. Position of severe need. Pair with Tyron Smith and create a dominant OL for a decade.

Unfortunately, they both go top 10. "Dang Jerry. You should have traded up," I said.

BUT WAIT! A top DT in Shariff Floyd inexplicably drops all the way to our pick. We lucked out! Don't look a gift horse in the mouth Jerry. Take the stud DT.

Nope. We trade down. "What the hell is this team doing," I said. We should have picked Floyd.

Cooper busts.
    Warmack busts.
    Floyd busts.

These were the 5th (Floyd), 6th (Cooper), and 8th (Warmack) rated players on our leaked draft board, by the way.

We "settled" for some Center from Wisconsin.

If either Warmack or Cooper dropped to our pick, we don't draft Frederick. We likely don't draft Zack Martin the following year either. We'd still be trying to make it work with Warmack/Cooper. Very different team without those two. Also, the pick we got from the trade down was used on another offensive starter - Terrence Williams.

11. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

34,227 Messages
    11,521 Likes Received
    If we're not taking into account the player not being available when it's our pick, I'd say ...

Ted Ginn Jr., Steve Smith (the former Giants receiver), Rashaun Wood, Marquis Walker, Brady Quinn, Johnny Manziel, James Francis, Reggie Bush.

Bullflop likes this.
  12. haleyrules

haleyrules Well-Known Member

10,885 Messages
    28,851 Likes Received
    JJ Watt...Tyron Smith. It still a close call!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  13. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

2,679 Messages
    2,024 Likes Received
    Almost forgot about Brady Quinn. I wanted him. Thought he would be great. Oh, well.

14. Ranching

Ranching Well-Known Member

6,170 Messages
    14,656 Likes Received
    Close call, but I think Watts back problems give Smith the nod, so far. Knock on wood.

RGV_Clos, JJHLH1, BigStar and 5 others like this.
  15. mrtxstar

mrtxstar Benched

8,214 Messages
    5,209 Likes Received
    Same here, I wanted the Cowboys to draft Lynch and Prescott wasn't even on my radar of consideration. After Moore broke his leg I thought Dak would just get more grooming to be the backup if needed but still never considered him a viable starter. And then Romo got hurt and I wanted to panic but knew if our rookie could produce like he had in the preseason that we might be okay. I'm happy how things worked out... and Lynch is still waiting for is first start in the regular season.

RGV_Clos and Reverend Conehead like this.
  16. Dallas_Cowboys50

Dallas_Cowboys50 Well-Known Member

1,266 Messages
    1,103 Likes Received

Same here. And also as others have said, I really wanted Paxton Lynch lol......

17. Sepia

Sepia Well-Known Member

1,010 Messages
    2,830 Likes Received
    Last year. Wanted Ramsey.

bonafidebanter likes this.
  18. mrtxstar

mrtxstar Benched

8,214 Messages
    5,209 Likes Received
    Hang'em high

19. haleyrules

haleyrules Well-Known Member

10,885 Messages
    28,851 Likes Received
    Yep. Smith is an outstanding Cowboy and it looks like he may outlast Watt. I like them both.

RGV_Clos, JJHLH1, BigStar and 2 others like this.
  20. rbr651

rbr651 Active Member

691 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    It's a loaded question, many of these players would perform differently when playing for different teams. You can't evaluate them based on how they play for another team. I think Merriman would have been just as dominant in Dallas as Ware was.