1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Where do you download your music....legally?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Wheeltax

Wheeltax Well-Known Member

1,115 Messages
    644 Likes Received
    I'm a Spotify subscriber also, it's great. There is a lot of pretty obscure stuff on there. I stopped using Sony's Music Unlimited because its selection couldn't touch Spotify's.
  2. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,915 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    What sold me on Spotify v. competitors besides the downloading functionality (which is A+ for those without unlimited data, just download when you're on wifi) is the HQ sound, unlike other services where HQ sounds exactly the same Spotify's HQ sounds freaking amazing!
  3. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

2,547 Messages
    678 Likes Received
  4. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,915 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    She said legal. C'mon, stealing entertainment is just a prick move at this point. It's all about economies of scale, 100M subscribers each to Netflix (video) & Spotify (audio) like companies combined with leftover income from relic mediums virtually erases the revenue gap from the pre internet era. It's priced so that you can work two hours per month at a McDonalds and afford both, it really isn't even "frugal" to avoid signing up anymore, it's just being cheap. Sean Parker was absolutely right in saying that in order for entertainment mediums to defeat the rise in piracy they need to excel on three grounds - legality (given), cost (must be very low), convenience (must be exceptional). It should be encouraged and expected of any consumer of any form of entertainment to do their duty and subscribe, you're only hurting the artists and creators nowadays, the profit margins of the large entertainment companies have been so minimized that "sticking it to the man" isn't really a thing anymore.
  5. PJTHEDOORS

2,547 Messages
    678 Likes Received
    Then SEARCH for music that is known to be legally available for download. It's a filesharing site for all things Einstein. Duh. You want to preach, then find a mirror and look.
  6. PJTHEDOORS

2,547 Messages
    678 Likes Received
    Happy now?

Public Domain Music: 12 Free Online Resources
    http://websearch.about.com/od/publicdomain/tp/Public-Domain-Music.htm
  7. NorthTexan95

NorthTexan95 Well-Known Member

1,251 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Forget this new fangled interweb thingy. Get a good, portable 8-track player. That's all you need. Now get off my lawn you kids!

Actually, it's not a bad idea to buy CD's. MP3's lose some audio quality in the compression. As internet speeds increase and file storage becomes a minimal cost, I suspect people who currently buy MP3's will repurchase their music collection. That maybe a decade or so down the line, though.
  8. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,209 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    lol the idea that some swat team is going to raid your home and confiscate your cheap PC for illegally downloading music.
  9. PJTHEDOORS

2,547 Messages
    678 Likes Received
    I downloaded some illegal Shirley Temple songs. Romo 2 Austin will prob preach to me about that soon.
  10. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,613 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    itunes and amazon.
    WoodysGirl likes this.
  11. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,140 Messages
    6,923 Likes Received
    I was joking...I'm way too square for something like that to happen.

I'm sure there are tons of site where you can download music and other things for free and if I looked I could find them. But I asked specifically for legal sites, because if nothing else, I know that the quality of the file will be good.
  12. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

941 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    The right piracy services typically gives you better file quality. At times even much better.

Just pointing out. I know you asked for legal sites.
  13. WoodysGirl

67,140 Messages
    6,923 Likes Received
    And I'm sure you're correct. I look at it like this. I've tapped into several free sites over the years, so I'm not completely ignorant to it. I've downloaded some good quality music, but I've also ended up downloading music that had DJ riffs on it or there's static in it, or it's just a bad quality file. There's a lot of hit/miss on some of those sites. While I'm not opposed to visiting some free sites in the future. Right now I just wanted referrals for legal sites just to see what sites were out there besides iTunes.
  14. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,600 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    You are kidding yourself if Spotify/Pandora is a moral high ground.

Artist earn almost nothing on plays there. For someone who wrote and performed a song, a million plays comes out to maybe $100 on Pandora. More on Spotify (like $250).

You aren't really hurting the artists if you substitute streaming for illegally downloading - most see only pennies on streaming.
  15. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Buy a turntable and real speakers.

Then buy vinyl. Your ears and heart will thank you.
  16. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,518 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Is downloading from youtube illegal? If not just do that
  17. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,102 Messages
    1,299 Likes Received
    Those poor, disenfranchised multimillionaires :)
  18. WoodysGirl

67,140 Messages
    6,923 Likes Received
    Well to be honest, not all musicians are multimillionaires.. So every dollar counts when you're collecting royalties.
  19. Phoenix

Phoenix Well-Known Member

5,461 Messages
    575 Likes Received
    WoodysGirl likes this.
  20. WoodysGirl

67,140 Messages
    6,923 Likes Received