1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Where do you rank Tony Romo out of the 32 starting QBs in the league?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Lazyking, Oct 5, 2012.

1. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

616 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    Okay, first of all I said "AS OF RIGHT NOW". 5 touchdowns and 8 Interceptions is not a top 10 QB.

Second...Um...The Giants secondary are the ones who made Rex Grossman look like an elite QB, not ours. We beat Washington both times last year, the Giants did not. Clearly, I do not know what I'm talking about. Also, like I said...THE GIANTS WENT 9-7 LAST YEAR. How on earth does that translate into a far superior TEAM than Dallas? They won 1 (one) more game than we did and it just so happened to be the one that mattered the most. Playing your best football when the most is on the line matters to me; it might not matter to you and it might not be your measuring stick of what makes a good QB but to me, it matters. Troy Aikman NEVER put up big numbers, he only threw for 20 or more TDs in a season ONCE! Yes he had Emmitt to throw hand the ball off to, but he did not put up superstar numbers by any means. Troy, however, was lights out in the postseason. He won went it mattered the most and so does Eli.
  2. anj113

anj113 Member

951 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    yeah agree, its not like the Giants were the 85 Bears last year.. they ahd the same average record we did going down the stretch.. After they beat us the following week they lost to the Redskins... I do agree their D was light years better than us last year, but the Giants barely made the playoffs.. SO its impossible not to give Eli any credit.. SOme people will never face it and thats fine, but Eli is a tremedous QB.. he has grown and matured into a fantastic football player.
  3. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You people really need to get some damn glasses because I never once said Eli wasn't a great quarterback. He clearly is, but you can't deny he had alot of help along the way to his two Super Bowls. Tony's supporting cast has constantly let him down especially last season. I mean how the hell do you blow a 12 point lead in like what five minutes? Guarantee you'd never see that from New York.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,150 Messages
    1,286 Likes Received
    only a moron would not have Romo in the top 10.

Sadly there are a few in this thread
  5. anj113

anj113 Member

951 Messages
    5 Likes Received

Every team has help winning Super Bowls, everybody... YOu base your facts only on numbers.. Which is fine because I defend Romo in that sense.. Romo is very very good, but in my opinion I think Eli is better... WE can all agree to disagree... I think its unfair to say all these QB's arent better than Romo because they have better teams..
  6. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Pretty much and these people expect to be taken seriously?
  7. anj113

anj113 Member

951 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Lets all just move on from this topic... WE all expressed our opinions, but we are at a dead end.. Its just stale at this point... LOL
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,150 Messages
    1,286 Likes Received
    yeah this thread needs to die
  9. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,054 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    First, where did I say Vick has Super Bowls? :huh: No wonder you're having a hard time with this.

Second, stats can say whatever you want them to say. Vinny Testeverde should be in the Hall of Fame if stats are all you're considering.

Third, where did I say he had a horrible supporting cast? Is this how you build your argument by putting words in other people's mouths? If we're going to play the "you act like he had a horrible supporting cast" argument, I guess that could be said about any quarterback (including Tony Romo) if his team makes the playoffs.
    No, Vick powered the Falcons to victory both with his arm and with his legs. It was pretty clear that he was the engine that drove that Falcon team to a championship. And a rusty Vick wrest the job away from McNabb in 2010 and led the Eagles to the playoffs. Remember him ringing up 56 points on the Redskins?

Again, you're a stats man. It's all you've got because Romo really hasn't measured up when it matters. I understand how you feel. However, others can evaluate players more than just stats and recognize those players who give that extra something to get their team to the next level.

Vick has done that to a degree that Romo has not.

Oh, and those are facts too.
  10. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,037 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Alex Smith is #1 in QB rating through week 5. What a strange world we live in.
  11. craig71

craig71 Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam

2,575 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Better watch out there Kilyin. Some around these parts may misconstrue that remark and think that you're knocking Romo...........:)

Craig
  12. tyke1doe

19,054 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

You know all that matters is stats.
  13. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,526 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Statistically, Romo looks like a mid top ten QB - but he's never carried a team in the way that Roger Staubach routinely did. He has next to nothing in the postseason.

He just had a stinkeroo that ranks down there with his worst ever. So many are down on him at the moment (myself included).

He's good enough to win any game but has a history of being snakebit. He is a ratre combination of the dazzling and the boneheaded. If you love drama Tony is the QB for you.
  14. tyke1doe

19,054 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    Tony Romo is Brett Favre minus Mike Holmgren.

Holmgren tried to rein in a mistake-prone Favre and did so enough to get a Super Bowl victory out of him. But when Favre became bigger than the coach and Holmgren left, turnover Favre resulted.

Romo has the same great, ghastly qualities Favre had. The problem for Romo is he's never had someone to rein him in on a consistent basis. Well, he had Bill Parcells, but Jerry Jones ran him off. Jerry and puppet coaches Wade Phillips and Jason Garrett gave the offense over to Romo - a Romo who still has periods when he commits turnovers in bunches or at the most inopportune times.

I like Romo. I still hope he can take us to the NFL Promise Land. But I just don't know if he can do that as a member of the Dallas Cowboys.

Whether it's fair or not, Romo is defined by the Cowboys - for the good and for the bad.
  15. Wayne02

Wayne02 Well-Known Member

1,651 Messages
    224 Likes Received
    Hey Stat Boy, Romo's stats blow Aikman's and Staubach's out of the water too, is Romo the best QB in Dallas Cowboys History?
  16. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,099 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    I think this needs to be posted again.

[youtube]TBEgZBeuHMM[/youtube]
  17. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,723 Messages
    1,062 Likes Received
    You explained him perfectly. The snakebit part was being nice though IMO. He just doesn't use his freaking brain sometimes and that is what causes the epic meltdowns. I mean when you practically hand the ball off to Lance Briggs when you are in scoring position, you might as well expect a big ugly epic touchdown by the other team.
  18. tyke1doe

19,054 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    That was nice. Thanks.
  19. HappyOnions

HappyOnions Datwin

616 Messages
    317 Likes Received
    It just comes down to what measuring stick you use to define a QB's success: stats or post-season success/rings.
  20. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,083 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    Vick? Are you kidding me? Ryan has never won a playoff game so by definition, he cannot be better, that is what I was told re Romo.