1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Where do you rank Tony Romo out of the 32 starting QBs in the league?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Lazyking, Oct 5, 2012.

1. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    This year. NFL website.
  2. venky

venky Active Member

439 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    100% agreed. I'd draft Peyton over any other QB that has played the game.
  3. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,747 Messages
    839 Likes Received
    Romo and the Cowboys didn't spend the offseason going through a bounty gate scandal where the franchise was humiliated and players and coaches were suspended. A major distraction like what the Saints have gone through and are still going through is going to have a major effect on a team.

Their 0-4 start isn't all that surprising to some. Brees is going through a much tougher situation in NO than Romo is in Dallas. Everyone keeps saying how bad Romo has it behind his OL when Brees has been sacked one more time than Romo.

Romo's been sacked 8 times this season which is the same number of sacks Aaron Rodgers suffered in one half vs Seattle. There's teams in the NFL who's OL is worse than the Cowboys so stop acting like it's Romo against the world.

No team has ever had to deal with what the Saints have had to deal with entering this season. Sean Payton is one of the best coaches in the NFL it was a major blow to the organization to lose him for the entire season. Losing him shows what happens when a team doesn't have solid leadership at head coach. The Saints added to their problem by choosing one interim head coach for 6 games and another interim head coach the last 10 games.

That's basically saying they didn't have confidence in Kromer. If the Saints were smart they would have chosen one head coach for the entire season instead of sending a message to their team they don't believe in Kromer. Regardless of what the Saints are going through Brees is still having a statistically better year than Romo.

He's passed for more yards, TD's and has fewer picks than Romo plus his passer rating is higher than Romo's. Brees has had a much better career than Romo care to argue that? His career regular season numbers blow Romo's away and his playoff record is obviously a lot better and you're asking why is Brees better than Romo? :rolleyes:
  4. CowboysFanSince88

CowboysFanSince88 Well-Known Member

4,056 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    If the Cowboys are 3-5 or 2-6 after the next 4 games then it's no way in hell Romo is a top ten QB. Especially if the Offense is not scoring points and please don't say anything to me about some O-line because Romo has thrown INT's when he had time to throw

Ravens

Panthers

Giants

Falcons

Those games will be the biggest of his career and it's time for him to show US HE CAN BALL
  5. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,356 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    This is a misimpression, though. Sure, any qb can lead a team to the Super Bowl. And any qb can win it, if he has a strong team around him. But those are generally one-offs. For the most part, there are about 6 quarterback every decade that have Hall of Fame-ish careers, and about 3-5 win the championships. The rest fight for the few scraps.
  6. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,647 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    Romo is top 5-7!!! The dude the can play.
  7. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,356 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    It's hard to say who the best quarterbacks are because we appear to be in a generational shift between pre-Ryan and post-Ryan quarterbacks.

That said, I don't think people are being honest with themselves about Romo's decline, especially in arm strength. Could be wrong, but I bet he's somewhere in the 10-15 range.
  8. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,772 Messages
    1,194 Likes Received
    I'd put Romo around #10 but he's not getting any younger. I think some of the rookie qbs could pass him in the next few years. I think Ryan, Schaub and Flacco could pass him too depending on how the season goes.
  9. Disturbed

Disturbed A Mere Flesh Wound

1,448 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Romo is probably 15 -20 and declining....he is not improving and making stupid mistakes that even rookies are avoiding today.

Too many rose colored glasses on this forum regarding Romo.
  10. Proximo

Proximo Well-Known Member

1,019 Messages
    674 Likes Received
    You can't be serious, 15-20? Please name 15-20 QBs that are better than Tony Romo so I can have a good laugh. Thanks in advance.
  11. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

945 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    1 brady
    2 Rogers
    3 eli
    4 peyton
    5 breeze
    6 Stafford
    7 Luck ( the kid is working with nothing )
    8 Rg3 ( another rook but he has that something specail)
    9 maddy ice ( geez i hate that nickname but he is good)
    10 Romo
    10a vick

I dont like flacco in the top ten or schaub. The reason i put the two rooks in the top ten is neither aren't working with much and both are doing a great job playing their games. I thought about throwing in TEEEBOOO to freak the board out :D
  12. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,418 Messages
    571 Likes Received
    In no particular order, I'd have these guys above him

Peyton
    Eli
    Brady
    Brees
    Rothlisberger
    Ryan
    Rodgers
    Cutler
    Rivers

Romo would be in that next tier with Flacco, Shaub and Vick with Alex Smith by himself in a tier below them. There are also a ton of good, young QBs in the league now with RG3, Luck, Newton, Tannehill, Ponder, Dalton, etc. that are climbing up the rankings.

So I guess I'd rank him as a fringe top 10 guy. I like him but you can't say he's a top 5 guy when you consider we've missed the playoffs 3 out of the past 4 seasons, will most likely miss it again this year, and are currently 31st in the NFL in PPG, just edging out the Jags for dead last in the NFL thanks to a Orton lead garbage time TD. That's an inexcusable stat with all the weapons we have on offense.
  13. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,010 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Remember when everyone said they'd rather have Romo than Eli? Yeah.

I'd say Romo ranks in the #10-15 range if you are talking about current starting QBs. If you are talking "which QB would you rather have to build around" he ranks lower.
  14. Proximo

Proximo Well-Known Member

1,019 Messages
    674 Likes Received
    10-15?? This board is outta control. Please try and name 14 QBs that are better than Romo right now. Please, I'm sure it'll be a good laugh.
  15. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,010 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Matt Ryan
    Tom Brady
    Aaron Rodgers
    Drew Brees
    Eli Manning
    Peyton Manning
    Matt Schaub
    Matt Stafford
    Joe Flacco
    Rothleisberger

For sure. Then you've got Romo mixed in with the next group along with Phillip Rivers, Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, etc.

I don't know how you can make an argument for Romo to be ahead of any of those guys in the above list really, especially taking 2012 into account.
  16. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,472 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    It is out of control, but its just the same trolls and clueless people.

He's at the top so just laugh and move on.
  17. cowboyz

cowboyz Active Member

1,719 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    here's my ranking for qbs i'd have on the cowboys this year brady rodgers brees eli roeth peyton romo ryan stafford rivers schaub rg3 flacco palmer newton cutler wilson luck fitzpatrick vick alex smith dalton bradford ponder cassel freeman sanchez kolb locker tannehill weeden gabbert
  18. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I take these guys over Romo all day
    Peyton
    Eli
    Brady
    Brees
    Rothlisberger
    Rodgers

Ryan being a young QB with experience looks to be moving ahead of Tony IMO

Guys I take right now over Romo because they are young an up and coming may or may not turn out to be better

Luck
    RG3
    Dalton
    Newton
  19. DMAC

DMAC Member

285 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    The real trolls are the ones who continue to post Romo as a top 5 QB, when everyone knows that is just wishful thinking, or a severe mancrush. It certainly isn't earned on the field.
  20. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    2 -2

4 -0

at this point in time.

I don't care what happened in the past, as of right now, Romo has his team at 2 - 2...

You can summarize Brees's career and boyhood all the way back to when he was born with your long winded posts...that means nothing to me.

As far as Bounty Gate goes...they deserve it! I have no sympathy for a coach that allows his team to do what they are accused of.

Hey, I though it was said by some that Brees is actually a "coach on the field"?

2 -2

4 -0

:rolleyes: