1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Where do you rank Tony Romo out of the 32 starting QBs in the league?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Lazyking, Oct 5, 2012.

1. DMAC

DMAC Member

285 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    I hate Vick. And I believe Romo is a much better QB than Vick ever was, or ever will be. But Vick and Romo play two different styles, so passing stats are not necessarily apples to apples. You seem to always confuse passing stats with the greatness of a QB. There is MUCH more to being a championship QB than passing stats.

You WILL figure that out one day, as you understand more of what you see.
  2. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We're talking about who's the better quarterback which Tony unquestionably is. We're not talking about who's better running with the football or who's the better athlete. If you read my entire post I said very clearly that Vick is the superior athlete, but once again that's not what we're arguing here. We're arguing who is the better NFL quarterback and in that aspect Vick can't hold Tony's jockstrap.
  3. DMAC

DMAC Member

285 Messages
    14 Likes Received

So to you, an NFL QB is simply a thrower of a ball, and should be ranked soley on his completion percentage or number of TD passes?
  4. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lets just say I'd rather who can throw the ball effectively and is mobile than a guy who can't throw the ball effectively at all on a consistent basis and is a running back essentially.
  5. DMAC

DMAC Member

285 Messages
    14 Likes Received

So would I, and that is why I say Romo is much better than Vick. But again, to be elite, he has some issue between his ears he needs to fix.
  6. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    What is your definition of elite? If it's top 10 quarterback then Tony is definitely that.
  7. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Active Member

2,563 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Elite is probably top 5 at your position.
  8. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't agree with that because the quarterback position is so incredibly deep and talented. I think top 10 is elite and Tony is at the every least top 10. I stil, have him in my top 5.
  9. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,785 Messages
    859 Likes Received

My definition would be a QB that has the career resume that puts them amongst the top 5 QB's in the league.
  10. DMAC

DMAC Member

285 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    When the game/season is on the line, an elite QB is one that takes the field, and his team/fans know they will win. And the competition gets a little nervous. Tony has never projected that feeling throughout his career. He needs to put this team on his back, and lead them. No more mistakes, particularly when the game is on the line.

He has the physical tools. He just needs to understand when to take risks, and what risks to take when. Clear now?
  11. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,785 Messages
    859 Likes Received
    There's a only a few QB's in the league that are capable of carrying their team on their shoulders in a critical game and leading them to a championship. The "elite" QB's in the league have all been there and done it.
  12. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

5,010 Messages
    257 Likes Received
    no, he's definitely in the top 15, top 11 even.

I will say this, no QB in the league does more to bail out his Oline than Tony Romo. If the offense could just bring it together, he'd be top 2.
  13. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,616 Messages
    1,569 Likes Received
    to me elite is TOP 3 so no Tony is not elite

He is around 7th or so

(by the way those claiming that Rivers is better than Romo need to look at last nights game- that is TYPICAL of rivers the last couple of years)
  14. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He also needs some help just like any quarterback does to win a Super Bowl. He needs time to throw the football down the field. He needs a defense that can come in and get clutch stops consistently. That's what Eli Manning had last season. He payed terrific last season, but would he have won a Super Bowl without that solid and steady offensive line and tough defense? Absolutely not and he'd even admit that.
  15. DMAC

DMAC Member

285 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    No doubt about that. But instead of blaming the "goat of the year" he needs to elevate his game, and also elevate the players around him. As the leader of this team, that is his job.

Hell, if you had an who's who of talent at all the other positions, me or you could be a sucessful QB in this legue. Well, you probably could. I'm too old and fat these days.
  16. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's hard to make worthless/talentless scrubs like the ones on the offensive line look any good. I don't think a quarterback in the league outside of maybe Aaron Rodgers would be able to do any better against this high school caliber offensive line.
  17. Big Blue Joe

Big Blue Joe Member

130 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And when Romo lead his team to a playoff victory in 2009, the Cowboys had the second best scoring defense in the NFL and a top 10 rushing attack. What's the difference?
  18. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Where was that great defense and supposedly solid offensive line against the Vikings in the next game? They sucked. They got torched by an ancient 40 year old Brett Favre. The offensive line got owned at the line of scrimmage like always and got Romo killed. One of the worst performances by an offensive line in recent memory.
  19. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,057 Messages
    423 Likes Received
    1. Tom Brady
    2. Aaron Rodgers
    3. Drew Brees
    4. Peyton Manning
    5. Eli Manning
    6. Tony Romo
    7. Ben Roethlisberger
    8. Matt Ryan
    9. Matt Stafford
    10. Joe Flacco
    11. Andrew Luck
    12. Michael Vick
    13. Cam Newton
    14. Robert Griffin III
    15. Jay Cutler
    16. Phillip Rivers
    17. Matt Schaub
    18. Carson Palmer
    19. Alex Smith
    20. Christian Ponder
    21. Andy Dalton
    22. Ryan Fitzpatrick
    23. Jake Locker
    24. Ryan Tannehill
    25. Sam Bradford
    26. Mark Sanchez
    27. Josh Freeman
    28. Brandon Weeden
    29. Russell Wilson
    30. Blaine Gabbert
    31. Matt Cassell
    32. Kevin Kolb
  20. Big Blue Joe

Big Blue Joe Member

130 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ok. So how does that make Romo any different from Joe Flacco? Both of them have shown they can lead teams to postseason success when the rest of their supporting cast plays well.