1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Where is Arkin?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Verdict, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,367 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Our line is decimated by injuries and we aren't getting great play from the replacements, yet Arkin is not playing. I'm not saying he should play .... but I am wondering why we are using up a roster spot on a guy who isn't good enough to even get spot duty on a team with a weak line, no depth AND is decimated by injuries.

Does he have SOOO much potential that next year he will compete for a starting position? If not why keep him? Are we going to redshirt him next year too?
  2. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have the same questions.
  3. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,190 Messages
    4,296 Likes Received
    two years in a row this guy can't see the field when our oline is trash.

read btw the lines.
  4. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,363 Messages
    827 Likes Received
    Every team knows it can only dress 46. You reserve some of those last 7 spots for guys you hope to develop. Small school guy with no weight program needs time. Now if he's not good enough to dress next year he won't make it out of camp. But right now we are doing what you do with developmental guys
  5. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,610 Messages
    103 Likes Received
    Yeah either he stinks or they just have too much loyalty to vets as we have seen in the past at other positions. Hard to believe Arkin is worse than Dockery, but when they are trotting a guy like Tree out there ahead of Harris or Beasley, the coaching staff's allegiance to vets definitely has to come into question.
  6. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,452 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Sure doesn't look good.

Next year is his make or break I would think.
  7. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,822 Messages
    2,673 Likes Received
    Yep. He can't play.

Even after the magical full offseason with Woicik. :cool:
  8. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,739 Messages
    674 Likes Received
    Ron Leary was supposed to be a 3rd round pick.

Arkin was a diamond in the rough.

Brewster was, uh, a nice guy?

We can go on and on and on. The team doesn't invest high picks in interior lineman because they feel they can find trash in the later rounds and coach 'em into diamonds. This is one of the biggest problems with the franchise. This garbage-shopping philosophy has really held us back.
  9. rlgiv

rlgiv New Member

196 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I wouldnt be surprised after the last two weeks if we continue to see less and less of Tree
  10. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    yet we can get a costa or kowalski undrafted and they seem to be at least halfway decent. seems we should either draft olinemen real high, or just not at all and pick them up as UDFA, because the mid round guys we take blow and we could use the pick on another position.
  11. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,452 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    It seems clear that they need some scouts who can find offensive linemen because as it stands now, they do not have them.

A recent 'kick in the pants', the Browns drafted Mitchell Schwartz - who the Cowboys' 'braintrust graded as a late round pick - in round 2 and the rookie has helped solidify the right side of their line.

The most recent of many 'under-estmates' made by the Cowboys' scouting department.
  12. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,184 Messages
    455 Likes Received
    Would Costa or Kowalski start for any other team besides the Cowboys or Bears? Color me not impressed with either of those guys either.

The only hope on this O-Line is Smith and we will see if he is better suited for LT or RT, the jury is still out on that one.
  13. rocboy22

rocboy22 Active Member

1,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I totally understand your point, but they CAN get on the field here, while Arkin can't even dress. I am not saying I am satisfied with UDFAs all over the line, I was just saying that it seems we can't draft a mid-late rounder and ever have them even make it to the field, but our UDFAs can. Total waste of draft picks.
  14. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,354 Messages
    1,990 Likes Received
    not there yet

after all this is garrett's rookie season so woicik is not even really here this year ;)
  15. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,184 Messages
    455 Likes Received
    Gotcha. Amazing how bad the FO and scouts are with OL. Until they get it fixed, I see another 17 years of .500 ball.
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    I have heard that as regards O line the boys usually have the prospects graded a full round lower then any other team. Has been that way for years. Yet no change. Typical of a Jerruh run team.
  17. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,514 Messages
    4,752 Likes Received
    Is he still on the practice squad?

I completely forgot about our eighth round draft choice Jerry Jones was just beaming about the day after the draft.
  18. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,514 Messages
    4,752 Likes Received
    They had Anthony Davis of the 49ers with a third round grade. Rodger Saffold as well. Edwin Veldheer of the Raiders who has a future was tabbed for the sixth round.

[IMG]

Ah.

Memories.
  19. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,100 Messages
    220 Likes Received
    Just another Robert Brewster...nothing to see here. He'll go away quietly by next year, if not already :eek:
  20. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,828 Messages
    433 Likes Received
    Teams miss on guys all the time, let's not pretend Dallas is the only team to do so.
    Wonder how many bad picks the Browns have made over the years compared to the "hit" on Schwartz??