1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Where is the love for Damontre Moore?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Nov 16, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,691 Messages
    1,498 Likes Received
    As you know, the five finalists for the Bronko Nagurski Award were announced Thursday. Of those five finalists, three -- Dee Milliner, Jarvis Jones and Jadeveon Clowney -- reside in the SEC.

All three have been great and they deserve plenty of attention.

But there's a name missing from the list -- a very important name, mind you. A name that has struck fear into the hearts of many SEC quarterbacks.

It's Texas A&M defensive end Damontre Moore, and although he might not have the SEC history that the trio mentioned earlier has, I don't see how he was left off this list. He's just been way too dominant this year.

The award is given annually to the nation's best defensive player, and Moore has certainly been one of the best defensive players in the country this season. He might be one of the best overall players, too.

Let's take a look at some of his key stats from the season:

Tackles: 74 (leads team)
    Tackles for loss: 20 (leads nation)
    Sacks: 12.5 (tied for first nationally)

Moore has three more tackles for loss than Jones and Clowney. He also has two more sacks than Jones and three more than Clowney. He also has way more total tackles than either Jones or Clowney.

As for the other two finalists, Moore has 4.5 more sacks than Florida State defensive end Bjoern Werner and 7.5 more tackles for loss. Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te'o has been an absolute beast. He has 92 tackles right now, with 5.5 for loss. He has also recorded a team-high six interceptions.

But Moore deserved to be on this list. He's just been too good this season. He's been almost unblockable and has true game-changing ability.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/colleges/post/_/id/4680810/where-is-the-love-for-damontre-moore
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,691 Messages
    1,498 Likes Received
    If this guy isnt top 5 om the Cowboy draft board somebody needs to be fired.
  3. JeffInDC

JeffInDC Well-Known Member

1,013 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
  4. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,291 Messages
    243 Likes Received
    I would love to add Moore.
  5. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,796 Messages
    5,952 Likes Received
    He'll get plenty of "love" on draft day.

Moore might be the best overall 3-4 OLB prospect.
  6. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

946 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    Absolutely. I'd love for him to become a Cowboy.
  7. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

3,099 Messages
    676 Likes Received
    Unless we are planning another trade up Moore is most likely irrelevant to talk about because he's going top 10. Kid is a beast for sure.
  8. robert70x7

robert70x7 Active Member

1,055 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Moore was the consensus 4th overall prospect if you combined Kiper's and McShay's rankings. He will be long gone.

We can all thank Von Miller.
  9. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,636 Messages
    365 Likes Received
    The guy is a beast and i would love to add him but I read where he wants to return to school and isn't even thinking about the nfl
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,691 Messages
    1,498 Likes Received
    Somebody better show him the Lattimore injury, bet he changes his mind.
  11. respectdatstar

respectdatstar Member

685 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I've seen him mocked as high as #2 overall. He's most likely out of reach for us. Mingo is a better bet as far as availability goes.
  12. Dankers

Dankers New Member

12 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Moore is a stud, but the best 3-4 prospect I see in the whole draft, especially for the Cowboy's needs, is Dion Jordan. The closer we get to the draft the more love this kid will get (think JPP or Chandler Jones). He has everything we want out of a SOLB. Burst and length to rush the passer (he's like 6'7" 270), coverage ability (he was recruited as a TE and I've seen Oregon put him on slot receivers), and the strength to hold up against the run.
  13. supercowboy8

5,636 Messages
    365 Likes Received
    I dont see Jordan as a 3-4 OLB. He isn't 270, look it up, he is 240. Also way to tall and he is just ok vs the run. He is a 4-3 DE and that's it IMO but to each his own.

Jarius Jones and Moore are the two best 3-4 OLB in this draft for the strong side. But Spencer has played very good al around football and the chances we are low enough to get either Moore or Jones is slim.
  14. supercowboy8

5,636 Messages
    365 Likes Received
    Mingo is a gamble pick. He is a great athlete but hasn't shown anything on a consistent basis. He would be a project and has a high bust rate.
  15. supercowboy8

5,636 Messages
    365 Likes Received
    Comparing stats from Jones and Moore is really fair as Jones has missed two maybe three games.
  16. Dankers

Dankers New Member

12 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You're right on the 240, I got his and Ezekiel Ansah's weight mixed up. (was looking at them at the same time). I still think he's the best replacement for Spencer in our system, and I see his athleticism transitioning very well. I don't see why you think he's better suited to DE though. He plays well in space from what I've seen. How does being tall hurt his ability to play OLB? It gives him length to keep blockers off his body and disrupt passing lanes.

Jarvis Jones is better than Jordan right now, i'll give you that, but I think in time Jordan will be better, he hasn't played the position long and is still raw in comparison. As far as Moore goes, he is a stud when he gets to pin his ears back all game, but that's not what our SOLB does, I think he's the one better suited to playing 4-3 DE.