1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Where is Thompson ?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Dallas, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Fred needs to get off his bum and clearly state his intentions to run or not to run. It's getting late in the game. Sooner or later fundraising is going to be an issue. He is polling great. Most states have him at near 25%, putting him hard on the heels of Rudy.

I hope the coger get's into this and soon like.
  2. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,628 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    I don't get it myself. The only thing I can say is whatever his strategy is, it's working wonders. He doesn't have to debate on the issues, but receives a ton of positive press. He doesn't even have to comply fully with the campaign finance laws he helped implement since he is still an undeclared candidate.
  3. Danny White

Danny White Winter is Coming

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Last I heard, he's now going to wait until September to announce.

He said something like: "Nothing happens in August, so why should I announce then."

I guess his theory is that people will be paying a lot more attention after Labor Day... and he's probably very correct about that.
  4. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,628 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    I think he also wants to see how his weak stance on abortion plays out, how his lobbyist ties plays out, and how his role as a Nixon insider plays out.

He can get an idea of that while still going off an "exploratory committee". Plus, he doesn't have to committ to some issues until we get a beeter idea of what they report in Iraq. He isn't a flip-flopper when he can avoid taking a stance.

Or maybe the rumors about him being a lazy unmotivated guy are true? Either way, he is the only "front runner" I could even possibly see voting for - and that is pretty iffy.
  5. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,232 Messages
    4,556 Likes Received
    I have said this before but not sure if people caught it.

They were speculating, and I don't have a clue if they were right or had sources that gave them the idea, one night on Fox. I think it was either the Hannity and Colmes show or the Spin Factor. I want to say Hannity and Comlmes.

Anyways here goes. It was speculation and I have no clue if it is legit or not.

They were saying that there was talk that he would wait until the new season of Law and Order started.

I know that sounds crazy, I thought the same thing when they said it.

However they tried to explain. Still not sure how all of this works so i may be getting it wrong.

I guess for some reason if he officially announced he was running for President they said there was some kind of rule in place. Once again I don't know about this stuff.

They claimed that if he ran for office than the current Law and order shows being aired (re-runs I think) would be effected.

They could not show him in the shows. So they would either have to cut his parts out of the shows OR they would have to quit showing the shows all together.

They probably would not want to cut his parts out of the show as it would take away from parts of the episodes.

They speculated that he did not want them to quit airing the current ones (re-runs before the new season started) because he would lose money but more importantly the other cast members, the show and network would lose money.

I guess the actors get paid when they re-air shows (re-runs) so much and if they completely took it off the air they would not get the money.

So they speculated that he would wait until they quit running those re-runs once the new season started and at that time he would officially announce that he was running for president.

Now again...Have no clue if that is true, I don't know the rules they were talking about and I may have gotten some of it wrong. But that was what they were talking about on the show a few weeks ago.
  6. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    BP, I've heard that as well.

It could be true, but I hope not. I hope he's considering larger issues than the summer re-run schedule. :D
  7. BrAinPaiNt

61,232 Messages
    4,556 Likes Received
    Well think about this.

It is not just his money he would lose.

It would be the money of the other actors on the show and the network for having to put another show its place or the money it would take to edit him out of it.

So they were not saying it was just him being greedy for himself. I don't think they implied that. If anything they implied that he was a good guy that was doing it for others.

Now I don't know if that is true.

However if he wanted to have some probes sent out on him possibly running. If he wanted to let the other Republicans snipe at each other for some time, if he wanted a shorter campaign run later....I could see him also holding off for the new season while he waits.

So it might not be the main factor, but it could be a factor.
  8. BrAinPaiNt

61,232 Messages
    4,556 Likes Received
    I do have an odd ball question Danny.

Does Fred smoke?

Not just cigars but a cigarette smoker?

I was wondering as I have seen him smoke in some movies, but maybe that was just part of the character.

And if he does, when was the last president a smoker?
  9. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    He definitely smokes cigars (as did Clinton, of course!). But I don't know about cigarettes.

I know he drank Jack and Pepto in Cape Fear... but I think that was just for the movie! :p:

Apparently Obama smokes, and that's some kind of story:
    http://mediamatters.org/items/200701180010

I know that prior to Reagan, they allowed smoking on Air Force One, but he ended that practice. But I don't know the most recent Prez who lighted up in office.
  10. Danny White

12,345 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    OK, here's your answer from the SanDiego Reader:

11. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Clinton had better things to do with Cigars than smoke them.:D
  12. BrAinPaiNt

61,232 Messages
    4,556 Likes Received
    Good info.

13. BrAinPaiNt

61,232 Messages
    4,556 Likes Received
    He did not inhale.:D
  14. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  15. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,105 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    Toker or smoker ?

Didn't Martin Sheen smoke in that TV series where he was the Democratic President ?
  16. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received

First I'd ever heard of marinating cigars in that particular manner... :D
  17. BrAinPaiNt

61,232 Messages
    4,556 Likes Received
    You will have to do a search and look for the memo/letter that Fred Thompson sent to Bill Clinton over that situation.

Danny has seen it but it is a little questionable for the site so I did not post it.

It is pretty funny though and shows Fred's sense of humor.