1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Where our players fit in the Tampa 2

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by supercowboy8, Jan 13, 2013.

1. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,536 Messages
    351 Likes Received
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,663 Messages
    5,817 Likes Received
    The one I don't know about is Spencer (6-3, 250) at the Strong Side DE.

Strong Side Defensive Ends on Kiffin Inspired Defenses:
    Kevin Carter (6-5, 290) - 2008 Tampa Bay Bucs
    Corey Wootton (6'6, 270) - 2012 Chicago Bears
    Red Bryant (6-4, 323) - 2012 Seattle Seahawks
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,586 Messages
    9,760 Likes Received
    Tyrone Crawford. He's the guy for that spot, IMO. Minus another player being brought in.
  4. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,422 Messages
    5,975 Likes Received
    he needs to gain some weight. i saw him at a bar recently, i was not impressed with his size.

claiborne too is a guy who needs to gain some mass this offseason. he needs to tackle more next year.
  5. Risen Star

22,586 Messages
    9,760 Likes Received
    He's listed at 6'4" 285 lbs. I wouldn't want him any heavier than that to play DE in a 4-3.
  6. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    :hammer: X2
  7. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,401 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    Yep, the move to 4-3 could really be an opening for him.
  8. rojan

rojan Active Member

1,486 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    What about from 2001-2007 when Kiffin had Greg Spires (6-1 265 lbs) and Simeon Rice (6-5 268 lbs) as his DE's

Or all the years that the Colts had Mathis (6-2 245lbs) and Frenney (6-1 268) as DE's
  9. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,917 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    I think so, too. We know they think he has starter-talent because he was drafted in the 3rd. It would also allow us to let Spencer go elsewhere in free agency and use the cap space on other positions.
  10. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,422 Messages
    5,975 Likes Received
    I'm shocked to hear that weight. With the eye ball test, he didn't look more than 275 lbs.

Wilber was with him and he needs to put 10 lbs of mass this offseason.
  11. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,422 Messages
    5,975 Likes Received
    Yeah but were those colts defense really that impressive?
  12. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Well I'm hopeful that Crawford can take the spot, although I have seen him more as a replacement for Hatch when he leaves than a candidate for DE. Guess the staff will make this decision on where best to use Crawford, with a determiner being his ability to turn the edge as an edge rusher at this level. If he has the body lean and bend to get around the edge, I'm sure the job is his to lose, and if he does indeed have that ability you will see this staff definitely let Spencer walk.

Either way we will still need to address the DE position this offseason, as Ware, Spencer (if here) and Crawford are really our only options for the position at the moment, and that just can't happen at a premium position that is probably the most important on any defense.
  13. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,595 Messages
    2,474 Likes Received
    Then youre blind. His upper body and bubble make his weight pretty apparent to me.
  14. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,347 Messages
    1,391 Likes Received
    I think Bryant is a DT. Irvin and Clemons are the starting DE's at Seattle. I think Kiffin generally favors speed over size at both DE spots. Greg Spires was 6'1" and 265 pounds.

YR

YR
  15. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,795 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    Our personel will actually transition fine. Big issue is that the DL needs youth and depth. To play a good to great 4-3, you need to generate pass rush and run containment. That wears DL out. Gmen rotates tons of players in as did the Cowboys of the 90's. That's the recipe for a successful 4-3.

Our LB's will excel in 4-3 as they will not have to take on as many OL as they did in 3-4. Lee and Carter would be less prone to injuries.
  16. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,536 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    NO sorry but your wrong. Bryant is the SDE. You should go look up their depth chart or watch game.
  17. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    Bryant is a DE.

And Irvin is a backup (CLemons backup if I'm not mistaken).
  18. Risen Star

22,586 Messages
    9,760 Likes Received
    I just think Crawford has more of a DE body than DT. I think he may be pretty good out on the edge getting to the QB.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with him. Maybe they resign Spencer and do play him at DT.
  19. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    http://www.seahawks.com/team/depth-chart.html
  20. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,980 Messages
    2,000 Likes Received
    IMO Crawford is going to be starting in 2013. Guy has the perfect size and skill set to be the type of strong side DE for Kiffins defense. I think Dallas has to start him in 2013 and see if he is an answer along the DL. Sign a vet FA to a one yr deal and let him push Crawford and have him as insurance. If Crawford isnt then you go into 2014 with that as ur top priority.

Ratliff and Hatcher will be starting in 2013. Unless Ratliff is released which now i dont really see that happening. Im sure Dallas will draft a DT but IMO one isnt needed in the top of the draft. a 3rd or 4th round pick will suffice for this yr.

Safety IMO is the biggest need after OL. 1st round OL and then in round 2 it should be safety.

LBer and Cornerback are locked up and i have no worries.