1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Where our players fit in the Tampa 2

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by supercowboy8, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,753 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    Well, granted those team measurables aren't always reliable. I do think he has the frame to carry plenty of weight to be a legit strong side DE in our new scheme. I don't think he's undersized at all for it. I was assuming he'd actually have to lose a little weight maybe to play on the edge.
  2. rojan

rojan Active Member

1,486 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    That had more to do with the LBers crop and Bob always being injured then it did with the DE's, IMO.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,753 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    I wouldn't be surprised if Wilber starts either. This new scheme is better for him, IMO.
  4. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,917 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    The size of his De's at usc should give us a idea of the size of de's he like. But then again you have to go by talent
  5. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,049 Messages
    2,278 Likes Received
    I think we have to stay big on defense. At least in the front 7.

I don't think an undersized cover 2 defense stands a chance at stopping San Fran or even Washington.

We just need to run it like Seattle is doing.
  6. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,405 Messages
    537 Likes Received
    So I'm assuming you mean Wilber starting at SLB? I didn't have much of an impression of him this year, but does he have the coverage skills for a LB in Kiffin's defense?

If he and Crawford could be solid starters at those two positions, that'd be a huge bonus.
  7. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,917 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    I could see this. But then who woud be the big oversize De?hatcher? There strong side DE is@320lbs
  8. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,049 Messages
    2,278 Likes Received
    We just need someone that looks about like Greg Ellis.

Okafor from Texas seems like a good fit.
  9. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,663 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    Yeah its really up in the air with him, he might be able to play either spot. Also, I'm not saying he can't be good out on the edge, its just an ability that he has to show to the staff that he can do it on at this level cause this ain't Boise St. anymore.

I certainly hope he has it, and if he does, I figure Spencer is definitely gone.
  10. Deep_Freeze

6,663 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    Yeah, the biggest winners in the new scheme might be Crawford and Wilber....very good coming out of this last draft to get two guys that fit so well.

Coverage is actually Wilber's best attribute, pass rushing was where he struggled which made him a bad fit in the 3-4. In the 4-3 at SLB, it should really fit his skill set well.....hopefully he steps up gives and Albright a run for his money.

I will say, I'm much more comfortable with Albright/Wilber starting over Coleman/Spears.....and it shouldn't be close for anyone and makes this scheme change actually make sense....now if we can actually get the safeties to run it effectively....
  11. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

2,140 Messages
    436 Likes Received
    Would Jason Babin fit in as a DE? I don't know if he's a free agent but the eagles cut him. And someone else picked him up.
  12. da_whiz_kid

da_whiz_kid Active Member

870 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    Is it possible Dallas looks to Spencer as SLB, With Lee at MLB, and Carter as WLB?
  13. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,049 Messages
    2,278 Likes Received
    No.. He'll make a lot more money as a DE / 3-4 OLB.
  14. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,279 Messages
    2,469 Likes Received
    If the Cowboys can find a free safety and three technique tackle this offseason, they will field top ten defense next season, even if they lose Spencer.
  15. da_whiz_kid

da_whiz_kid Active Member

870 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    True. Is it possible Spencer may be willing to take the pay cut so he can stay with his teammates? But more importantly, do you think his skills suit the position well? I think they do, but it's true, money is calling. It would be interesting becauuse they could probably move him from that position at times and rotate him with Ware.
  16. Deep_Freeze

6,663 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    I agree on safety, and if we lose Spencer, Crawford could decide that. Kinda weird that the kid just drafted would determine so much, but if he is a 3 tech then our need there decreases with Hatch and Crawford. Now if Crawford can play DE and become an edge rusher, then our needs on the DL are still there but decrease slightly in the short term while still needing upgrades for the long term health of the position.
  17. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,613 Messages
    2,499 Likes Received
    If we don't keep Spencer then I would like to see Hatcher at the LDE and Ratliff at the 3. Then either sign a FA 1 or draft one really high. There is good DT depth in this draft especially at the top.

1. DT
    2. OG/C
    3. S
    4. RB
    5-7 absolute BPA outside of a kicker.
  18. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,770 Messages
    5,922 Likes Received
    Strong Side
    Spires 6-1, 265
    Freeney 6-1, 268
    Spencer 6-3, 250

Spencer is a strong run player and might be OK as an undersized player at the position; however, he is going to be very expensive.

Spencer's best fit would be on the Weak Side but that's where Ware will play.
  19. Deep_Freeze

6,663 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    I worry about Hatch out on the edge, its alot different than him rushing with Ware beside him, he will be out there all by himself at LDE. Even in the nickel he moved inside, and I just don't see the edge quickness, bend, and speed out of Hatch.

I would like to see us try everyone out there if we lose Spencer, heck we wouldn't have anyone for the position. Just don't know if Hatch can get that done especially at 305 pounds.
  20. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,770 Messages
    5,922 Likes Received
    2012 Bear's, 2012 Seahawk's and 2008 Buc's Front-7 players.

[IMG]