1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

where should we draft a TE?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by GloryDaysRBack, Mar 25, 2012.

1. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,192 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    how big of a need do you guys think TE is? Where would you like to see us draft a TE in this draft, if at all?

Given how often we use two tight ends and given how we use the F-back position, I think TE is a major need heading into this draft..

if we play our cards correctly, it is possible to select a TE who could also operate as our #3 WR..similar to how other teams use their tight ends..

we could essentially kill two birds with one stone..however, it would require using a premium pick on the position..likely, a 2nd rounder..

this team has so many holes it is difficult to decide which holes need to be addressed first
  2. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 RAWR

11,951 Messages
    224 Likes Received
    5-7, preferably a walk on...
  3. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Fleener in Round 2 if the stars align, I would go as far as saying I would even trade up for him ideally after we trade down and acquire more picks from #14.

I agree, TE is a much bigger need then most want to admit.
  4. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,192 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    what about charles in the 2nd? or allen in the 3rd?
  5. AmishCowboy

AmishCowboy if you ain't first, you're last

4,330 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Really Sorry we missed out on Kellen Davis
  6. SDogo

SDogo Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev

13,900 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I like Charles a lot and his stock seems to have taken a hit lately. The 3rd round is probably a prime area for him. He is so intriguing because he can play now but really has only scratched the surface of his abilities. Some team might bight in the 2nd due to the lack of talent in this class.

I would actually say Allen has a better shot at going in round 2 and Charles in round 3 right now.

Actually with Allen there are been some rumors the Giants have taken a real liking to him and would not be afraid to pull the trigger at 32. It seems crazy but there are several other evaluators who do give him a round 1 grade.

IMO, I much prefer Charles to Allen. I think he has much more upside and a higher ceiling. He is also the much better blocker.

If not Fleener, Charles is my 2nd choice and then it's a crap shoot between Ellison, George Bryan and Evan Rodriguez if you want to use him that way.
  7. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,594 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    IMO, Fleener won't make it past the Niners....in fact several mocks show this exact scenario.

Since we won't get Fleener, I say we wait till 5-6 to get Linthicum from Michigan St.
  8. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Where do Fleener and Egnew go?
  9. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,854 Messages
    1,648 Likes Received
    5th, at the earliest.
  10. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,265 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    I would only be fine with Fleener in the 2nd.

Mid round if no Fleener.
  11. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,041 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Are the 9ers playing a 3 TE base offense now? Drafting a TE in the first when they already have Vernon Davis and Delaney Walker seems bit too Matt Millen-esque.

Not smart use of their resources IMO.

Not a great draft for TEs so I hope Cowboys do not draft one until the middle rounds.
  12. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

31,854 Messages
    1,648 Likes Received
    Don't have a QB who can get the ball to anybody so they might as well run an 8 OL formation.
  13. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,120 Messages
    2,967 Likes Received
    If they draft Fleener, can one of the multitude of quick and agile OLinemen on the team function as the blocking TE?

It seems that Parnell would be good at it. Also, he has experience with ball handling since he was a basketball player in college. He should be able to catch a few short passes if needed.

It is nice that John Phillips is decent blocker and decent receiver at TE. This makes for a good backup if Witten is injured; however, it would be easier to draft a top receiving TE if John Phillips was more of a blocking TE.
  14. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    You all are wrong!

He asked where, not when!

The answer is New York City!