1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Where to go from here?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Plankton, Dec 31, 2012.

1. punchnjudy

punchnjudy Well-Known Member

1,118 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    Stronger doesn't equal strong. They ran the ball effectively against NY in '07. Wasn't enough to keep them off Tony when they threw it. The more talented teams can rush in ways that attack the run and the pass. Jim Johnson excelled at it. It's not as simple as beefing up the line and running it more. It will help some, but that's not enough.
  2. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,672 Messages
    691 Likes Received
    I completely and fundamentally disagree with the idea that the game was a complete breakdown by the team. We had quite a few players show heart with Romo being the most notable to have a complete meltdown.

The players were there and ready to pay for the most part. And a few f them, such as Murray and Harris showed up ready to ball.
  3. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,184 Messages
    600 Likes Received
    280 rushing yards, 1 sack, no turnovers! Yeah, it's all on Romo!
  4. Westcoasthabsfan

Westcoasthabsfan Active Member

2,300 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Me too
  5. IrishAnto

IrishAnto Well-Known Member

1,013 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    I agree.
    You need to draft a least one OL in the first two rounds.

Throwing draft picks at this defense has not yet worked in Dallas so why would anyone think it will now?
  6. IrishAnto

1,013 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    I'd like us to give that a try too.
  7. Dave_in-NC

Dave_in-NC Well-Known Member

10,879 Messages
    41 Likes Received
    I hope Jerry thinks the same.
  8. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

1,679 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    I would call the breakdowns in pass protection, poor ball placement and defensive recognition by the QB, poor tackling and run gap discipline by the defense and a lack of adjustments by the offensive and defensive staffs as being a complete breakdown. The only phase that the Cowboys won in this game was special teams.

I think the players played hard. They just didn't get it done.
  9. Plankton

1,679 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    One thing to keep in mind with drafting offensive linemen. If you look around the league, offensive line play is as bad as it has ever been. The NFC East offensive line play was horrible for 3 of the 4 teams, and merely average for the fourth team (Redskins). In the NFC North, 3 of the four teams had subpar line play (only the Vikings line was in the average to above average category). In the AFC, many supposed "contenders" had bad lines (Steelers, Chargers), and others were lousy at best (Jets, Titans).

I think we are now seeing the "benefits" of the spread offenses from college. Linemen are now playing as poorly as they have ever played before, and I believe that the spread schemes are producing players unprepared for playing the pro style on the lines. If the NFL adopts more of the college concepts, it may help the transition, but drafting guys high, and expecting an immediate return is not wise based on what we have seen of late. There are exception cases, but I would trust centers more than the other positions, especially in the run game.
  10. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,637 Messages
    3,559 Likes Received
    If we get rid of Miles Austin who is our 2nd receiver? I love LOVE harris, but in no way shape or form do i see him as a 2nd receiver.

I agree with you though, this team needs lots of help on the dline. if tyler wilson some how drops to the 2nd round i take him there too.
  11. Plankton

1,679 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    Witten is the second WR (just happens to play TE).

Hanna should get a bigger role flexed out in the slot.
  12. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,000 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    Austin really isnt a number 2 anyway. When he had all his success he was playing in the slot.

We need a burner to play that number two position, someone that can stretch a defense. Miles aint him.
  13. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,171 Messages
    1,798 Likes Received
    this has been the book on the cowboys since garrett became OC

1) they are not physical and will wilt if punched in the mouth

2) they cant adjust to the blitz

nothing has changed and it rests on the HC and the GM

i like your ideas on FA and the draft and have posted similar stuff earlier, however, if we trade soencer, we need to go OLB high in the draft because ware's effectiveness next season is unknown so we cant get a LB who "needs to learn to rush"

the keys are:

1) build OL, DL, safety, running game

2) get a real OC
  14. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,171 Messages
    1,798 Likes Received
    jerry is an idiot of the highest order

so, no, he is likely scouting for a QB or CB
  15. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,000 Messages
    484 Likes Received
    If you want to beat the Cowboys offense, blitz blitz blitz and bring it up the middle it works everytime.
  16. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,511 Messages
    2,043 Likes Received
    Where to go? You just hope you can add enough talent that it overwhelms our mediocre, stale management on the sideline and off. Our coaching isn't going to provide any advantage so we just have to hope our players can.

It's very discouraging.

BTW, I completely agree with your comment on the officiating. Why can't more officiating crews allow the players to play rather than interjecting themselves into the game so often?

Though I think I know the answer to that, and his initials are R.G.
  17. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,003 Messages
    555 Likes Received
    I don't think Jerry's going to view the current state of this team like most other GM's, coaches and/or fans would. Jerry has become reactionary; he's not a GM that has any clue about building a team. That should be painfully obvious to any fan at this point of our extended futility. He sees what works in today's NFL (ie: makes a splash/money) and acts on it. Right now he's thinking about charging up the fan base by looking for an RGIII clone. Gino Smith or a comparable QB scares me because it wouldn't surprise me if Jerry went in that direction should he fall in the draft.

Want an Aikman clone to try and re-live the glory years? Bring in Hutchinson and trade for Henson. Want to copy the Eagle's success with McNabb? Bring in Anthony Wright, Tony Banks and QC. Want a Novachek clone? Bring in Bjornson or LaFleur. Want a hard hitting safety like Woody? Bring in RWI. Need to replace our speedy LB core? Bring in Coakley and Ngyyen.

If anyone thinks Jerry is going to have a plan to rebuild this team in the traditional sense without any "flash" or "wow" factor, they're going to be sadly mistaken.
  18. IrishAnto

1,013 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    What you say has merit however you can still get players that can contribute quickly and allowing as many of the OL to “grow” together as possible allows the OL to develop continuity which is essential to producing a good line.

Dropping free agents into the OL is an expensive way to build a line and we’ve not had great success.

Drafting an OL high seems the only way the Boys have hit on good players.
  19. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,637 Messages
    3,559 Likes Received
    even we does stretch the field on occasion, he is terrible at adjusting with the ball in the air.
  20. Plankton

1,679 Messages
    424 Likes Received
    I completely disagree. The Cowboys have been abysmal at drafting OL. With free agency, at least there is a track record of success at the NFL level to pull from.