1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Where Would We Have Been W/O Jerry The Past 25 Yrs?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WPBCowboysFan, Apr 17, 2014.

1. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    Sadly you lost you're own argument by the facts you gave. lol
  2. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,393 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    Jerry, is that you. :)
    cajuncocoa likes this.
  3. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,933 Messages
    2,126 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  4. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    It's better than ignoring the past and creating a world where Jimmy Johnson owned the Cowboys
    I think you guys are looking for the thread on selective memory, this one is about an owner that turned a loosing franchise into a juggernaut.
  5. WPBCowboysFan

5,933 Messages
    2,126 Likes Received
    Its been a bad 17 yrs no doubt, but living that 90's experience was great. No team had done anything like that in a 4 yr period. Wouldnt trade it for anything football wise. Even the Pats run wasnt near as good as ours.
    Vanilla2, Boyzmamacita and OhSnap like this.
  6. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,591 Messages
    721 Likes Received
    As bad as 3 5-11's and 3 8-8's were I would still take em if it meant winning 3 outta 4 again.
    Boyzmamacita likes this.
  7. BulletBob

BulletBob The Godfather

2,174 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    You only listed 10 of the 32 teams in the NFL. List all 32 teams with the same stats. Then when you look at the list, not only do we look "special" but we look like we're in elite company. Of the 32 teams in the NFL over the period you specified, we're one of only 3 teams to have won the Super Bowl 3 times.

I'm not at all justifying Jones as a GM (especially over the most recent past!). Just pointing out that the lens that you look through when presenting certain statistics can be skewed easily just by looking at the numbers a different way.
    Boyzmamacita, Coy and Erik_H like this.
  8. WPBCowboysFan

5,933 Messages
    2,126 Likes Received
    And only TWO teams have a 100% for a winning percentage - and we have 3 wins, while the Ravens have only 2. Even more elite company. And we are at the top of that list.
  9. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,956 Messages
    1,389 Likes Received
    Tell me in another decade. By then I probably won't even remember those SB's. As great as those SB's were, this mediocre just sucks. and it seems like it never ends. We joke about the Eagles not winning a championship since Eisenhower was President. It's funny because most of us weren't even born then. The Cowboys will be in that company if we don't turn it around soon. There will be many Cowboy fans who won't even remember those SB's.
    cajuncocoa and Chocolate Lab like this.
  10. daveferr33

daveferr33 Well-Known Member

464 Messages
    588 Likes Received
    I swear, some of us have stopped being fans of the Dallas Cowboys and are now just fans of Jerry Jones and the Jones Family.

He's an owner. Just one of the lucky 31 people rich enough to buy into the cartel. I don't get why people are mesmerized by that.
  11. Venger

Venger Well-Known Member

2,489 Messages
    422 Likes Received
    I will rest my case on the undeniable fact we aren't even the most accomplished team in our division. I think we all agree on Yay, we aren't the Browns, and the list does not change materially including them, any more than it does by including Rams (2 appearances, 1 win).

I am not specification searching, because if I was, I'd re-weight the data to show our complete and utter impotence over the last 10 years. Or point out the percentage of the US population who have no living memory of a Cowboys championship (25%). But then, that'd probably be about the same effort as hog-tying Jones and tossing him in my trunk, so I want to make sure I direct my efforts in a more rewarding endeavor.
  12. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,222 Messages
    2,014 Likes Received
    I can't stand Jerry. I would love to live in that parallel universe where there is no Jerry. Those long ago SB's were great I guess for those that can remember them but I've never read anything that will convince me that wasn't due to Jimmy.
    cajuncocoa likes this.
  13. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,585 Messages
    727 Likes Received
    Lets make a Landry/Johnson thread and compare that to the last 18 years too.

Then we'll do a Satubach/Aikman thread followed up with Texas stadium/AT&T Stadium.

Would it be fair since the above mentioned haven't ruined the team and are GONE?

I think we still have like 492 coaches left out of the '500' that can take this team to a superbowl tho.
  14. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,585 Messages
    727 Likes Received

Didn't you READ the OP?

We have the bestest stadium. It guarantees wins, BABY!!

Of course we lost the first game there............but we got chicks dancing on columns, twelve dollar beer and 16 dollar sandwiches.
    cajuncocoa, pjtoadie and daveferr33 like this.
  15. Floaty

Floaty Well-Known Member

914 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Agree.....

Ain't nothing like a Jerry Jones apologist.

and what is even funnier is he almost did it again under Parcells. Bill builds a winner.....and as soon as Jerry has a new shiny toy to play with he thinks he can put the finishing touches on it by signing the franchise killer T.O. And ends up running Bill out of town because of the circus atmosphere.

Question is can Jerry find another sucker to build him a new toy? Because this one is just about too old and broken down.
    cajuncocoa, MikeT22 and Risen Star like this.
  16. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,435 Messages
    1,939 Likes Received
    There is nothing wrong with your monitor.
    Do not attempt to log out.
    We are controlling bandwidth.
    We will control the horizontal and vertical aspect.
    We can widen the zoom or sharpen it to crystal clarity.
    For the rest of the thread, we will control all that you see and read.
    You are about to experience the awe and mystery which reaches from the inner mind to

The OuterCowboysZone Limits

Please stand by

REDVOLUTION likes this.
  17. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,326 Messages
    1,252 Likes Received

The problem with this thread is simple.

It is a tale of at least 3 era's (actually more but these 3 will make my point).

1. Organizational low
    2. The rise and domination
    3. Delusional timeline

Now, because 1 and 2 netted some real good fruit. We are asked if we still like that Jerry bought team for 1 and 2 and eating the rotten fruit that is 3 now.

So, it is better to have eaten good fruit than to have eaten rotten fruit for 25 years plus straight.

Did i mention that this was a good thread. Oh yeah, i didnt.
  18. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,742 Messages
    906 Likes Received
    Perhaps the alternative would not be a Bum Bright clone but maybe a Robert Kraft/Peter Holt type. You know the type that relishes winning above all, and hires the very best there is to ensure this. Maybe the alternative would have looked at the past at the 20 straight years of winning seasons, 18 of 20 years in the playoffs, and bring that back.

The Cowboys were America's team long before Jerry arrived and were the TV spectacle of that era just like they are now. To believe that no one but Jerry as owner would have brought us 3 of 4 super bowls in 5 years, is just stupid. Perhaps another owner brings Jimmy Johnson and gets out of the way and wins 5 straight, or 8 out of 12.

I think Jerry is a great owner, and should be just that, the owner. He can market his team, his stadium and his brand all he wants. But he should hire the very best to run the football operations.
  19. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,845 Messages
    10,150 Likes Received
    Great post.
  20. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,964 Likes Received
    15 straight super bowls won with nothing but offensive guards and defensive tackles on the roster, Go Cowboys.