1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Where Would We Have Been W/O Jerry The Past 25 Yrs?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WPBCowboysFan, Apr 17, 2014.

1. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,684 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    If that had been the case, then at least Jerry would have the lion's share of credit for two maybe three super bowl wins. He would have proven that they could rebuild and win it all. As it is, the Cowboys had a coach in the 90s who arguably controlled personnel decisions, and since the players he put in place have left, the team has had no ultimate success. So it's understandable how some Jerry haters would exist under the current scenario no?

Playoff wins matter because at least fans can fool themselves into thinking this team is a contender and is building toward something. Right now, that's just about impossible for anyone who is objective.
  2. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,264 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    then it's a hell of choice.
  3. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,062 Messages
    1,973 Likes Received
    Bum Bright didn't like Tom because he wouldn't give him the time of day & he felt disrespected. You know how those rich old coots are. BOW BEFORE THE KING.
    Coach Landry was just a quiet introspective man. Tom & Jerry didn't like each other either. Can you imagine 2 men more different so that's no great shock.
    yimyammer likes this.
  4. MikeT22

MikeT22 Active Member

412 Messages
    224 Likes Received
    Thank heaven Jimmy was the coach and in charge of personnel those first 5 years.
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  5. iceberg

28,264 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,923 Messages
    9,009 Likes Received
    Yeah, that was pretty pointless. Hey, what if the Cowboys would have won while Jerry was an active GM? Would the haters go away?

Yes. You got us there. I am sickly burned.
  7. theranchsucks

theranchsucks Well-Known Member

1,028 Messages
    357 Likes Received
    Even the morons who support Jerry still know it was all Jimmy.........Actually if you think about it Jimmy Johnson may have been the greatest head coach of all-time. I mean think about it, did Vince Lombardi ever have to overcome Jerry Jones.
    cajuncocoa, MikeT22 and BoysFan4ever like this.
  8. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

2,529 Messages
    1,364 Likes Received
    To answer the OP's question. Without Jerry there is no Jimmy. Together they built the NFL's last true dynasty. Working together they were unstoppable and in return the league slaps FA and the cap on us or we'd have more Lombardis.

Their two ego's were too big to go side by side and in the end the fans lost out. I hate the fact that they both built and tore down what was a franchise for others to envy.

Today we are still waiting for the glory days to return. The problem is Jerry doesn't have those resources he did when he first took charge. Our franchise is no longer innovative as it once was. The last few drafts have given some hope and we need a few more to be on track to sustain a long tenure of success.

Without Jerry, we have no Jimmy and without Jimmy, we have 2 Lombardis.
    iceberg and OhSnap like this.
  9. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,736 Messages
    1,958 Likes Received
    Maybe still the saddest day in Cowboys history - when Jerrah bought the team.
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  10. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,766 Messages
    594 Likes Received
    Funny that I think you are right. What if someone buys the team but let Jimmy do his thing? Someone who isn't petty and insecure?
    daveferr33, tantrix1969 and JustAGuy like this.
  11. iceberg

28,264 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    did other fans have to overcome such rantings of hate?

it was not all any one thing. if it was ONE person then jimmy would have won in miami.

it's a collective effort *morons* try to single out to a modular solution.
  12. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,409 Messages
    703 Likes Received
    You are validating my point that it's the players and not the coach. Miami won before Johnson and they kept winning after Johnson. They had they best athletes in the country. And Dallas went to the NFC Championship and won the Super Bowl with Switzer(who was also a very, very successful college coach) but he gets zero credit because of the Triplets. I doesn't make any sense. I personally think Johnson is very over-rated and he never put it on the line after the Dolphins. You can hero worship all you want, I choose not to. To put Johnson in the group you quoted is laughable to me.
    WPBCowboysFan likes this.
  13. iceberg

28,264 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    johnson, after leaving dallas, said shula should win it all. it's as if johnson wanted to retire in miami.

so he set the seeds, and people sucked it up. made him coach, and he couldn't take a team he said should win it, to the goal.

revisionist history sucks.
  14. iceberg

28,264 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    you can't hold a singular view then excuse singular failure.

unless you have an agenda.
  15. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,409 Messages
    703 Likes Received
    So how does any of that make Johnson a legend? He failed to reach the lofty goals he set and then walked away forever. If he stayed in Dallas and won four or five Super Bowls, then yes he would be a HOFer.
  16. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,499 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    There was a very strong Football Culture in Dallas with Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson which has deteriorated and soured to one of the worst or weak almost non-existent Football Cultures ever especially outside the AFL.
    cajuncocoa likes this.
  17. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    What if?..........Jimmy stayed

And Jerry went to Miami?
  18. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,062 Messages
    1,973 Likes Received
    Jimmy has forgotten more about football than Jerry will ever know.
  19. iceberg

28,264 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    oh, i was agreeing with you and arguing against "it was all jimmy".
  20. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    and where do u rank amongst both of them?

Jerry: captain of Arkansas National Champion Football

Jimmy: on same line, not a team captain