1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

which one would you take

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by HoosierCowboy, Feb 25, 2013.

1. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,107 Messages
    41 Likes Received
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,310 Messages
    4,844 Likes Received
    Difficult decision:

Richardson if his character issues check out; otherwise Ansah or Johnson

Sheldon Richardson DT Missouri: Perfect fit at the 3-tech, but reported to have "multiple character related issues"
    Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma: Has as much upside as any of the OTs
    Ezekiel Ansah* DE BYU: Freak athlete, could probably be in the rotation immediately
    C. Patterson* WR Tennessee: Has as much upside as any player in this draft
    Barkevious Mingo* DE LSU: Would be a Weak-Side DE (backup to Ware) and Nickel pass-rusher, something about him just feels like a bust

Medical:
    Jarvis Jones* OLB Georgia

The 3rd LB is not a priority position in Kiffin's scheme:
    Alec Ogletree* ILB Georgia
    Manti Te'o ILB Notre Dame

Too early:
    Sylvester Williams DT N. Carolina
    D.J. Fluker OT Alabama
  3. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,201 Messages
    152 Likes Received
    Jarvis Jones and I couldn't get my pick in fast enough.
  4. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Would be happiest with Richardson if the background risks aren't an issue, followed by Lane Johnson or Jarvis Jones. My reactions on draft day would roughly be:

Very happy:
    Sheldon Richardson
    Lane Johnson
    Alec Ogletree
    Cordarelle Patterson
    Jarvis Jones

"Meh":
    DJ Fluker
    Ezekiel Ansah
    Barkevious Mingo

"Seriously?? :banghead: ":
    Sylvester Williams
    Manti Te'o
  5. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,194 Messages
    1,542 Likes Received
    If they're all there I trade down a few spots.
  6. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,899 Messages
    2,034 Likes Received
    Lane Johnson.
  7. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,393 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    Only these five will be there. Sylvester Williams is the safest and best of the five but you can get probably 25-30. Ogletree is the most intriguing. For some reason Jerry is investigating T'eo hard. I would hate that pick. Dont think Jones is a fit. Too high for Fluker IMO.
  8. L-O-Jete

L-O-Jete Member

894 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Lane Johnson OT Oklahoma
    Sheldon Richardson DT Missouri
    Try trade down
    Ezekiel Ansah* DE BYU
    Jarvis Jones* OLB Georgia
    C. Patterson* WR Tennessee

Tade down at all costs...

Barkevious Mingo* DE LSU
    Sylvester Williams DT N. Carolina
    Alec Ogletree* ILB Georgia
    Manti Te'o ILB Notre Dame
    D.J. Fluker OT Alabama
  9. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Sheldon Richardson DT Missouri

just because we well DT with out 1 st IMO
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,904 Messages
    4,266 Likes Received
    The made the changes on Defense and I think they want to give Monte a bone. I hope that bone is not Vaccaro (sp?) in the first....so I will go with S.Richardson to help start the change.
  11. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Surprised at the general aversion to Ogletree. What am I missing? I like this kid.
  12. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,194 Messages
    1,542 Likes Received
    I think its just that some people don't find OLB to be a pressing need.

I'd love to have him, but getting him in the first probably means missing out on either a DL/OL/S prospect....especially when there are guys available later who will provide similar production.
  13. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,597 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    j

I def agree with Williams and Fluker. Too early. As for Te'o, if the rumors of Jones interest are correct, then he will not be brought in to play SLB or 3rd LB.

Te'o would play MLB and Lee would play the most important LB spot in a Kiffin scheme, the Will (only front 7 guy uncovered). Carter would shift to Sam where he will be responsible for coverage on TE as well as setting the edge/rushing the passer in certain sets.
  14. XxTDxX

XxTDxX Active Member

748 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    Probably Richardson or Lane Johnson.
  15. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,108 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    I like Ogletree too as a player, but the guy just got arrested for DUI a week before the combine I believe.. I don't think that would be a smart investment after Brent & Ratliff's arrests.
  16. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,310 Messages
    4,844 Likes Received
    When I say 3rd LB, I'm not referring to specific positions. In Chicago Urlacher (MLB) was the star player with Briggs the 2nd best player.

Back in Kiffin's days with Tampa, Derrick Brooks (WLB) was the star and the MLB was the 2nd best player.

The Jimmy Johnson concept was that you only have limited resources and putting too much into 4-3 LBs is not a good strategy.
  17. Dmoore Esq

Dmoore Esq Member

170 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm torn between Lane Johnson, Patterson, and Ansah.

Lane Johnson immediately upgrades our o-line, has as high a ceiling as anybody in the draft, and at 18 you don't usually get the opportunity to get a guy like that. I'd be easier for me to pull the trigger on a tackle instead of a guard.

Patterson looks like a legit top WR. He could be a difference maker. I think he'd help Romo out immensely, take pressure off Dez, would be insurance in case Austin or Whitten breaks down. You can fill holes with our later picks if you think this guy is a premium talent.

Ansah seems like a lottery ticket. I think he'll end up being a good one, but if he flops it'd really set us back.

I'm glad I don't have to actually make decisions like these. If we stayed in a 3-4 jones would have been my pick without to much debate.
  18. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,393 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    In case? I wish I could get it as a prop bet in Vegas.
  19. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,501 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    clearly Jarvis Jones is the BPA in that scenario so if our docs feel he's good to go it should be him. Otherwise, I'd take Lane Johnson bc finding a starting T is expensive in FA and very difficult in the later rounds. A solid OL will do more for our team than any other unit upgrades.
  20. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,597 Messages
    569 Likes Received
    So I intuited correctly. Sam would be the 3rd LB spot in a Kiffin D. Personally, I would rather take Dion Jordan to play the "3rd LB" spot because he has the upside to grow into a weakside DE. This is my choice if Cowboys wanted to invest in the LB corps with their first pick. Jordan may not be available tho.