1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Which one would you want?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by ajk23az, Dec 21, 2012.

1. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,657 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    I'm going to give you 3-5 players at a few positions of need and you pick which one you would prefer at each position. The players that will be listed are approximately projected to where the Cowboys will be picking in rounds 1-2-3 or so.

Projected round in parentheses

QB
    Tyler Bray - Tennessee (2)
    Aaron Murray - Georgia (2)
    Ryan Nassib - Syracuse (2)
    Zac Dysert - Miami (OH) (2-3)
    Landry Jones - OU (2-3)
    Matt Scott - Arizona (3-4)

DT
    Jesse Williams - Alabama (1)
    John Jenkins - Georgia (1)
    Shariff Floyd - Florida (1-2)

FS
    Eric Reid - LSU (1)
    Kenny Vaccaro - Texas (2)
    TJ Mcdonald - USC (3)
    Tony Jefferson - OU (2)

SS
    Matt Elam - Florida (1-2)
    Robert Lester - Alabama (2-3)
    Shawn Williams - Georgia (3-4)

DE/OLB
    Barkevious Mingo - LSU (1) Stock dropping a bit
    Ezekial Ansah - BYU (1-2)
    Alex Okafor - Texas (1-2)
    Sam Montgomery - LSU (1)

OG
    Dallas Thomas - Tennessee (2)
    Chance Warmack - Alabama (1)
    Jonathan Cooper - UNC (1-2)

My preferences:
    Zac Dysert
    John Jenkins
    Kenny Vaccaro
    Matt Elam
    Barkevious Mingo
    Jonathan Cooper
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,399 Messages
    674 Likes Received
    Only differ on Floyd over Jenkins. I think he offers more play making ability. Cooper over Thomas is too close to call because Thomas offers more versatility. If Warmack turned into a C that could handle NTs one on one that would raise him in my eyes.
  3. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,592 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    No list is complete without listing the OTs.

Also if your going to include QB, you should also include RB and CB to be honest.
  4. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,568 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    If we draft a QB early, I will be so pissed. I know Romo won't be yound forever and I was 15 or so when Troy Aikman retired and know how painful and long the search for a franchise QB can be, but I also know you have to strike while the iron is hot.

On offense we have all the talent at the skill position to compete with any team in the NFL. 3 recievers with 900+ yards and a chance for 1000. A RB capable of going for 1000 if he's healthy, and a QB with a 90+ rating in an "off" year.

Green Bay, New England and New Orleans compare and may even be able to out perform, but we blow everyone else out of the water. So why are we a middle of the road offense? Because the o-line sucks. Tyron Smith and Nate Livings are the only guys playing well. Cook is a good depth player, but I'm not sure how good Costa is. Berny is also a good depth player, but he starts. Free has been an absolute train wreck and Parnell has only been meh.

If we can improve the O-Line, we could become a very potent offense, and have a chance at a SB. Drafting a QB early, is one less resource for the O-line or the defense, which when healthy is sooooooo close to becoming a dominant unit itself.

Drafting a QB would be nice if we hit on the pick and end up with a Tony Romo. That would allow us to keep the core together, because many of them are young, but the odds of getting a Romo are slim and as long as Romo is playing at this level, another QB does nothing to make this team better.
  5. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,568 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    As far as the list goes, if you're saying Jonathan Cooper will be there in round 2, I'd take that. No way it happens, but I could almost forgive reaching for a NT, OT, S or who ever if we got him in round 2.
  6. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

2,657 Messages
    450 Likes Received
    QB - Bray or Dysert (I know Bray is a head-case but with 2-3 years of development behind Romo he could be special)
    DT- Jenkins
    FS - Vacarro
    SS -Elam
    DE/OLB - Mingo (just based off upside)
    OG- Warmack (can't go wrong with the other 2)
  7. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

8,554 Messages
    1,845 Likes Received
    Projected round in parentheses

QB
    I don't want a QB in the 2nd. There will be too many really good players in the 2nd this year.

I would consider Dysert in the 3rd.

DT
    Shariff Floyd - Florida (1-2)
    In the 2nd.

FS
    Kenny Vaccaro - Texas (2)

SS
    Matt Elam - Florida (1-2)
    Shawn Williams - Georgia (3-4)
    I like Elam better, but given the choice of Elam in 1-2 or Williams in 3-4, I would take Williams.

DE/OLB
    Barkevious Mingo - LSU (1) Stock dropping a bit
    Ezekial Ansah - BYU (1-2)
    Alex Okafor - Texas (1-2)
    Sam Montgomery - LSU (1)
    Ansah in the 2nd would be a no-brainer. If forced to choose between Montgomery or Ansah in the 1st, I'm going to lean slightly towards Ansah.

OG
    Dallas Thomas - Tennessee (2)
    Chance Warmack - Alabama (1)
    Jonathan Cooper - UNC (1-2)
    Cooper in the 2nd would be the ultimate pick. In the 1st I would take Cooper over Warmack. Assuming that Cooper is not available in the 2nd, I would love to get Dallas Thomas there.
  8. Pessimist_cowboy

Pessimist_cowboy Well-Known Member

1,295 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    Matt Elam
    Dallas Thomas
  9. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,160 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    Floyd is not a NT and Jenkins plays to high and gets moved out way to easy. Jesse Williams is the only one on here I would want as a NT.
  10. supercowboy8

5,160 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    Elam, Williams, vcarro, and Reid are all safties I really like.
  11. supercowboy8

5,160 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    I would take any OG on the list and none of the OLB/DE on the list.
  12. xwalker

8,554 Messages
    1,845 Likes Received
    I just realized he said DT and not DL. To me, a DT is a 4-3 defensive lineman.
  13. Macnalty

Macnalty Active Member

879 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    I would be happy 1st rd with any of the OG's an add of course Barrett Jones needs added to the list.
    I like Elam and McDonald in the second since you do not have any OLB on your list.
    Would really like to see 3rd rd that big Tonka Toy 3-4 NT clogging up the middle so our lightning fast and smart ILB's can play to their pro bowl talent.

If we hit on two positions in this draft it would be fantastic, realistically we just need to make sure we hit a home run on one position and draft some quality backups who are bound to see some significant playing time. What do I mean by home run. Dez, Sean Lee, Bruce Carter, Dan Bailey, DeMarco Murray, Mo(IMO was worth the trade), and Tyrone Smith(a triple till he matures physically) are prime examples. I hope we can keep this draft trend going and avoid regressing to the mean.
  14. Questfor6

Questfor6 Well-Known Member

1,136 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    Read somewhere the other day that Cooper may also be able to play center. If he can play center then he could be extremely valuable to this team.
  15. supercowboy8

5,160 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    I dont think he had ever played center but had the agility and quickness needed to play center as well as the awareness to read the defense
  16. xwalker

8,554 Messages
    1,845 Likes Received
    He played at least 1 game at Center.