1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Which OT does this sound like?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by btcutter, Apr 24, 2011.

1. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,796 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    POSITIVES: Intelligent and athletic blocker who can be used at several spots on the offensive line. Bends his knees, plays with leverage and patience. Stays square, adjusts to defenders and effectively uses blocking angles in pass protection. Technically sound, displays solid footwork sliding laterally and effective with his hands. Mentally on top of his game and works well with teammates. Displays the ability to block in motion and effectively uses body positioning to wall defenders from the action.

NEGATIVES: Lacks the top size for a blind-side tackle. Not a dominant drive blocker and gets minimal movement from run blocks.

ANALYSIS: A hard-working lineman who plays with great intelligence, Mankins has been very productive on the college level. Performed well at the Senior Bowl at guard and significantly improved his draft stock.

Which of the top tackles this years have similar traits and I'll take him because this was the scouting report for LOGIN MANKINS.

POSITIVES: Outstanding blind-side protector with excellent size and upside potential. Quickly sets in pass protection, immediately gets his hands into defenders and extends to keep them from the action. Strong in his upper body, displays good hand punch and bends his knees, staying low to the ground throughout the play. Easily controls opponents once engaged in a block, knocking them back off the ball. Effective position blocker who walls opponents from the action. Displays good movement skills, can slide in space and fluid shuffling out to protect the edge. Blocks down or engulfs opponents. Keeps his feet moving and anchors in pass defense. Easily adjusts picking up stunts or blitzes.

NEGATIVES: Tries to outguess defenders and gets beat. Lazy with his hands. Must make better use of blocking angles and learn to play with balance. Does not play with a nasty attitude and by no means a dominant drive blocker who opens big holes for the running game. Work ethic has been questioned.

Which tackle has these negative traits?? Avoid at all cost....This is report for ALEX BARRON!!
  2. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,195 Messages
    2,792 Likes Received
    From this I get that size can be acquired with diet and weight training... intelligence cannot.

Go with the smart, hard working football player who has some limitations rather than the uber athletic potential player who doesn't play smart and has some lazy traits.

Of course there will be exceptions to that... but overall I think the smart guy turns out much better most of the time.
  3. btcutter

2,796 Messages
    244 Likes Received

Laziness only gets worse in Pros especially after a big fat $$ contract.

Intelligence and drive to get better is uber important as you need to motivate yourself in the Pro level! That's what separate great from good and failures.
  4. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,859 Messages
    2,340 Likes Received
    completely agree with this

smarts and work ethic are critical
  5. btcutter

2,796 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    Does anyone realize that the report of Logan Mankins rated him a THIRD round prospect and Pats picked him with the last pick in the 1st.

Dallas would have been crucified if that happened.
  6. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,907 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    sounds like were thinking constanzo(sp?) here...

Is Tyron Smith a lazy player with questionable work ethic? if so give me constanzo or carimi (in a trade down) in the first if we go oline.
  7. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,552 Messages
    352 Likes Received
    sounds similar to Castanzo but Mankins isn't a OT he is a LG. So if Castanzo turns out to be Mankins great, but you don't take a OG that early.
  8. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

11,195 Messages
    2,792 Likes Received
    I don't think Smith is a lazy player and I don't think he has a bad work ethic, although I haven't heard that he's an exceptionally hard worker either.

I honestly can't speak about how smart Smith is (or not), but I do know that Castonzo is exceptionally smart and hard working.

When I wrote what I did, I wasn't really thinking of anyone in particular. I was more speaking in general terms about what I hope the Cowboys will be looking for in their prospects.
  9. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,280 Messages
    1,228 Likes Received
    I don't anyone has described Tyron as being lazy.

The closest I've seen is that he doesn't display much fire on the field, but that doesn't mean he's not a hard worker.
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,841 Messages
    1,687 Likes Received
    yeah those that hate Smith are really digging deep for something and there is nothing outside of the fact that he does not have the collegiate expereience of the other tackles.
  11. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,290 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    Mankins was flying up draft boards that year.
  12. burmafrd

41,841 Messages
    1,687 Likes Received
    Outside of Huff my dream FA period would have Mankins as the other signee.
  13. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,962 Likes Received
    Logan Mankins is a guard.
  14. btcutter

2,796 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    We are all cheering for the same thing...that the Boys pick someone who will handle OT for the next decade at a high level.

All the OTs in this draft have fairly big question marks. One of Smith's is that he doesn't have multiple years of starting experience. Nothing wrong with questioning that.

We all hope Boys make the right decision and not draft purely on "potential".

I've always said that 1st rounder needs to be able to START right away and have the potential to get to pro-bowl level.
  15. burmafrd

41,841 Messages
    1,687 Likes Received
    But if the other guy will be much better two or three years down the road, how do you justify that?
  16. unionjack8

unionjack8 Well-Known Member

2,001 Messages
    299 Likes Received

he started 2 years at RT, one as a soph in which he beat out a 2 year older matt kalil for that spot, as an 18 year old kid.
  17. btcutter

2,796 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    If it's certainty then sure but the problem lie in "potential" again. Look back at past drafts. How many 1st rounders end up being busts?? Many are picked in the 1st because teams believe in their "potential".
  18. burmafrd

41,841 Messages
    1,687 Likes Received
    And why would not Castonzo be thought of in the same way as T Smith. Tony Mandarich was supposed to be a sure thing. So was Robert Gallery.
  19. btcutter

2,796 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    I think we can poke holes with every prospect. Mandarich was a steroid junkie so don't need to discuss him. I think even pre draft there was already talks of him being a better G or RT than franchise LT.

Castonzo has question marks as well as many have pointed out on the board. But he has 4 yrs of films to be judged and was already regarded as a first rounder by most before the year began. He did nothing to disprove that status. Smith is a fast riser over the past several months. But is Smith really worth the 9th pick? His meteoric rise is mostly based on potential, am I not mistaken?I probably won't have so much trouble with him in the teen as with Castonzo...but at #9??
  20. burmafrd

41,841 Messages
    1,687 Likes Received
    There is no doubt that Smith is the better athlete. None at all. Now when it comes to playing, Castonzo clearly has more experience. But Smith was voted all pac-10 and that is not a small thing. So to claim Smith has risen just because of his Combine and such is not the whole story.