1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Which Pass Rusher Has The Chance To Be Elite?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by NeonDeion21, Feb 9, 2012.

1. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,837 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    Yeah I don't like it either. Still think he is the best in the draft though.
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,386 Messages
    2,275 Likes Received
    I think the guy could be a very good pass-rushing DT in the 4-3.

But he doesn't have the first-step quickness to be a great pass rusher as a DE in the 4-3 IMO.

And with his build I don't think he would make for a good 3-4 DE.
  3. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Major redflag in my book too. It's the main reason why I don't like Vontaze Burfict with anything higher than 4th rnd. pick.
  4. Skerr41

Skerr41 Member

111 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have a feeling Bruce Irvin may become the best of the bunch.

Like Realtek though, I'll be waiting to see the 3 cone drill results at the combine, that says a lot about a rushers ability to bend and not lose speed coming off the edge.
  5. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    Not to start the 3-4/4-3 debate again , but I think there are many great prospects that don't fit the 3-4 ? Curry and Coples are just a couple . I am starting to favor the 4-3 for this reason .
  6. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,130 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    Cowboys already play the 4-3. Don't you read Kirwan?
  7. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

15,691 Messages
    791 Likes Received
    Myself, granted, but I still tend to seperate college attitude to one gained at the professional ranks. Unless that involve criminal indecisions as well...
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    frankly a guy making 'business decisions' in college means a lot more then some want to admit

I think he is a definite possibility to be a guy that puts out in his rookie year, then slacks off until his contract year. And with the shorter contracts now that is even worse.
  9. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

15,691 Messages
    791 Likes Received
    Naw, at the collegiate levels, some decisions still revert back to emotional and mood...and that hits the sporting venue due to lack of intellectual associations as well. That lack of mental association could require intensity levels as well as peer example to grasp and command commitment to. But if there are criminal types of decisions as well, then ethics is more of a problem than without those.

Base levels of athletic ability can be molded at the professional levels, as even at the collegiate levels there is an adult level of accomplishment requirement for successes. Even if not yet at the professional levels.

That is about the age transitional point that a buck sergeant would then become a staff sergeant and hopefully shortly later, a career sergeant, and sergeant first class. Career developments requires a progression over time. All time lines for good Senior NCO's are different. Same and comparably for an athlete coming from the collegiate to the professional levels. Different time lines and arrival points.

Even at advanced skill levels in the NFL, when money is the draw solely for production, the team elements diminish. Skills develop with time, but where lack of commitment and ethics are not the stopping part, then they will eventually arrive there as well. That's why even Bill Parcells had a three year window, and before drafting any player, the motivational reasons for that player are explored through the Combine, Pro Days, and invitations to Valley Ranch before the draft. Either that or they are observed in their professional careers and part of the professional scout system.

As to Coples....you have had lots of conversations with him, huh? Maybe were a coach or talked with several players before arriving at your view? Perhaps a former teacher or coach for him, you know, to validate your coarse view of him...right?

But if he goes top fifteen, what would teams then be stating concerning what you state you already judge?
  10. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    first rd picks are held to a higher standard; and this guy worries me. Because his problems would appear to be in his head; and those are the worst kind of problems. NYET.
  11. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    there are no pass rushers this year that remind me of Von Miller last year; and frankly I do not see any of them really worthy of our first rd pick.
  12. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    J . Russell had motor problems at LSU . Same problems followed him to Oakland . If anything , I think money makes these problems worse .
  13. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

1,982 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    For me, the standard doesn't need to be Von Miller. He was the #2 pick in the draft for a reason, he is special. Even Aldon Smith who is a pass-rusher only right now was selected in the Top 10.

I think we should be looking for a guy similar to Smith however. For me, I would like to see a guy who has a bunch of untapped potential, similar to JPP and Smith, and see how he develops. If that means only being a 3rd down rusher I am okay with it.