1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Which positions MUST he addressed on draft day?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by GloryDaysRBack, Apr 7, 2012.

1. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,898 Messages
    2,367 Likes Received
    OC
    DL (NT and DE)
    FS
    PR/KR
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,776 Messages
    10,080 Likes Received
    No position absolutely must be addressed. That's another code word for drafting for need.
  3. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,705 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    Here are the positions I would be interested in seeing drafted...

Center
    Defensive End
    Cornerback
    Safety
    OLB
    WR
    TE
  4. Risen Star

22,776 Messages
    10,080 Likes Received
    Good list, Mikey. :)
  5. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,705 Messages
    3,197 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  6. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    C/G, NT, S or CB
  7. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Can someone explain to me all the CBs on these lists?

Here's my "wish list" that I'd like addressed before any draft resources are spent on a CB........

Interior OL, FS, WR, DE, Interior OL, TE.
  8. a_minimalist

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    Because we only have Carr as a reliable starter. Jenkins is somewhat reliable but still questionable and only has 1 year left on his contract.
  9. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,987 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    BPA means a lot of things because that depends on what criteria's the organization include on coming up with what makes that particular player that BPA.

In saying so, character aside a player like Janoris Jenkins is the most talented corner in the draft but apparently we have taken him off our board, they may only be our 1st round board. I doubt he exits the 1st round anyways.

In saying so again, Mark Barron is seen as a top 10 player football pedigree wise by a lot of teams but he does not play a premium position, however one we are in serious need of. I do agree safety and center are our most glaring needs.

Regarding d-line, Lissemore is seriously regarded by head office more than fans understand and they truly are set on Jay Ratliff remaining as the pro bowl NT he has been. Maybe someone to develop behind him or a veteran to spell like an Abruyo Franklin, but Rat's our NT. So all in all we are not looking for another starter on d-line unless we truly believe Dontari Poe and Michael Brockers are upcoming elite talent. Cox is going to go before them and he doesn't penetrate the pocket like the type of end we're supposedly in need of anyways.

So to sum it all up..............

Baron who I think is rated 1 of the top 10 football talents by our team, who also fills a huge void since Woody, is had with our first pick. I doubt we even trade out of # 14 because a lot of teams right behind us want Barron. Maybe not enough to jump in front of us though.

2nd pick could very well be Zeitler if he is there and he just might be. Unless of course Janoris Jenkins has an unforseen drop into the 2nd, he's too good to pass up. Ragradless of this "we took him off our board" stuff. Maybe we took him off our 1st round board and the rest is fair game.

I see our needs and possibly the best available player actually co-existing in this draft. If a super talent like Jenkins falls to us in the 2nd, the 4th round has centers like Blake and Brewster who are instant upgrades to what we currently have at center.

I don't see this team feeling any of the d-linemen or pass rushers rated first round as more talented than Mark Barron at his respective position. Unless we are all for DeCastro, which I think this team feels it can find a very viable C/G in the 2nd, which we can. Mark Barron will most likely be the pick and at least 1 of our 2 biggest needs will be met in the first 2 rounds if not both.

Ronell Lewis or Irvin will be our 3rd pick in that case ;-). Just my opinions as a fan.
  10. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,302 Messages
    1,417 Likes Received
    A true 'pressure' player on the defensive side of the ball...whether at DE, NT, or OLB....but the team has to start getting to the opposing quarterback.
  11. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,511 Messages
    682 Likes Received
    The position that absolutely HAS to be addressed?

Center. Costa is terrible and I'm not a believer that Kowalski is a long term solution either. Maybe the team has some grand plan that involves Arkin moving to Center, but if not we can't go into the season with the same guys we had there last year. It needs to be addressed.

Outside of that I don't think we have another glaring weakness that HAS to be addressed, but I would certainly like an upgrade at a couple positions.

DL is one of them. Kenyon Coleman started for us last year. I think the rotation of he and Spears is serviceable, but they're not going to be difference makers on D. Hatcher is okay and hopefully he can take another step forward this year, but he's approaching his ceiling as a player and it's nothing to get too excited about. Lissemore is alright for a rotational guy I guess and hopefully Brent can come back off that injury and contribute, but again I wish we had more talent there with our developmental/bench guys. Rat is a warrior but you can see he's been on the decline for the past 2 seasons, he lost some of that athleticism that made up for being undersized at NT. We're due to invest a high pick along the DL, it's been 5 years and the collection of guys we have there shows it.

Safety is the other. We've been staying afloat there by renting 1-year journeymen but you're not going to see anything more than serviceable play if we continue to do that. We don't even have a young guy to develop with starter potential down the road. If the opportunity presents itself, it'd be nice to finally get some real stability there through the draft.

Then there's the less valuable positions like #4 CB, #3 WR, Backup TE... but those can usually be addressed in the mid-rounds or by signing a cheap option in FA. I actually like John Phillips and think he's a fine option for #2 TE, I just don't know if the team feels the same way.

And way down on the "pressing needs" list is OLB, the team franchised Spencer and Butler is a pretty good situational player but they're both in contract years so the team might want to protect themselves by drafting someone. Pass rusher is a valuable position so I can see them spending a high pick if the right guy is there, but I guess technically it's not a "need" for this upcoming season.
  12. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,302 Messages
    1,417 Likes Received
    As the roster sits right now, the offensive line; defensive line; secondary; and linebacker group can stand alone. So, improvements will be in section direction and development at this point.

The team already can defense the run...so it needs dynamics in getting to the quarterback and individual coverage on receivers and tight ends. This is where the brunt of work needs to be done.

Then, if I had a shot at an interior lineman, such as Silatolu, I'd pull the trigger. If I had to, I would train a center...and still go with best player available in the offensive line's interior, with who's already on the roster at this point. Let the best five start...
  13. scottsp

scottsp Well-Known Member

2,289 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    And I am praying the FO is taking this position, though I doubt it. Not to be a total contrarian, but I would hope the folks in that war room not have position at the top of their checklist. The acquisition of best possible talent should be of paramount importance. The good news is, the needs are many. This roster has gaping holes, so it shouldn't be an issue.

It shouldn't be, I say.
  14. Risen Star

22,776 Messages
    10,080 Likes Received
    With the big FA haul in terms of overall numbers, I don't think we'll be needs minded in the draft.

I do think we'll go BPA. Which might cause a lot of three eyed lizard looks in here but I'll be all for it. We do best drafting talent over need.
  15. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Agreed. I'm not only worried about picking a CB for when jenkins leaves , Im worried about picking a cb for this year. I dont know how his rehab is proceding but he had a serious shoulder injury and may not be ready for the start of the season.

I do feel we have other big needs like Center and DL but Cb is top 3 IMO. I also feel like we have some young guys on both lines like lissemore , Geathers , Arkin , Nagy, killer that could step up we dont have that at CB. JMO
  16. jswalker1981

jswalker1981 Fact > Your Opinion

2,616 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Soooo, the entire defense, basically.
  17. a_minimalist

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    :lmao:
  18. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

796 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    It appears we think a lot alike... Nice analysis...
  19. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,867 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    I pity the team that takes Jenkins. He is gonna make Pacman look like a choirboy
  20. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

796 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    Makes ya wonder if he understands that or if he is so narcissistic that he doesn't get it. Anyway, if Garrett were to agree to him being drafted, then that would bring into question his new value system (the Cowboy Way).