1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Which positions MUST he addressed on draft day?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by GloryDaysRBack, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,801 Messages
    7,167 Likes Received
    What is the Cowboy way?
  2. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,596 Messages
    3,338 Likes Received
    I wanted to say O, D, and STs but I tried to play it st8.
  3. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    This, maybe 2 or 3 pass rushers.
  4. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,432 Messages
    387 Likes Received

This, is what makes the Ryan Defense work.

Untill we have a pass rush, even though Dallas held opponents to 100 points less in 2011, we havn't even sniffed the results the Ryan D has in store.
  5. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Active Member

4,545 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    You can have a pass rush but, if you don't have CB's to cover their men well enough to prevent a throw, your pass rush isn't as effective.
  6. SilverStarCowboy

7,432 Messages
    387 Likes Received
    Then you havn't watched the Ryan Defense.
  7. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,596 Messages
    3,338 Likes Received
    Yes. They are synergistic but I think the pass rush is more important. I have pass rusher then DB as priorities. They can compete with the present DL but they could get a good bit better there.
  8. SilverStarCowboy

7,432 Messages
    387 Likes Received

Dallas has spent top money on 3 CBs. Scandrix, Carr, Jenkins

Dallas brought in Safetys back to back Offseasons. Elam, Poole

Ofcorse we could just ignore what the actual Cowboys Organization does and preach on how we'd run the team instead.

Which gets us nowhere.
  9. a_minimalist

4,545 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I have actually. I don't think it matters what defense it is. If you are getting after a quarterback and a man is open he will throw it to them. Even the best pass rushers need at least 2-3 seconds to get to the quarterback. If your CB's can't play man and allow the receiver to get open the QB will dump it off rendering your pass rush ineffective. That's just common sense. Yes, every once in a while your pass rush will blow through the line. That isn't going to happen every down, no matter what. If you have CB's who never allow their man to be open you buy your pass rush more time. Scandrick and Jenkins aren't exactly above average DB's. They can do the job but they can also blow it big time, over and over.

Jenkins has the potential to prove everyone wrong, but he needs to get healthy ASAP
  10. a_minimalist

4,545 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    When did they spend top money on Scandrick and Jenkins?
  11. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,256 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    We agree here.

DL/CB are definite priorities.

I think we also need another safety...not confident Poole will hold up physically. With a one year contract, I'd like to develop his replacement.
  12. SilverStarCowboy

7,432 Messages
    387 Likes Received

"They" spent money an Scandick last year during the season.

"They" Drafted Jenkins with 1st round money.
  13. a_minimalist

4,545 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I must have missed Scandricks pay day. Not sure how but that's my bad. It's Jerry's prerogative to overpay players. It doesn't mean they can't or shouldn't be replaced. We all have learned that the amount a Cowboy is paid doesn't always justify their worth.
  14. jswalker1981

jswalker1981 Fact > Your Opinion

2,616 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You mean that "bottom of the first round" money? He wasn't a top 10 pick or anything. He signed a five-year, $9.725 million contract. He is scheduled to make a whopping $1.052 million this season.
  15. SilverStarCowboy

7,432 Messages
    387 Likes Received

Judging by what has been done, it looks like the logical conclusion would be front 7 as the direction the front office is headed....but you never know.
  16. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

772 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Good question. He talks about all the time, but hasn't spent a lot of time defining it to the media. Doesn't really need to, either. As long as he, the FO, coaches and players do. He's mentioned football players that are passionate about the game, motivated and team players, first. He gives the appearance that he doesn't want players that are in it for self aggrandizement.

It would seem inconsistent to hire someone like Jenkins based on the type of person he appears to be and the impression Garrett is establishing to define The Cowboy Way.
  17. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,014 Messages
    164 Likes Received
    None. Center is arguably the position most in need of filling but that's different. If we are in the third round and it is between a very highly rated TE and a significantly lower rated center, you take the TE.
  18. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

772 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Oh - forgot - leader (college captains) and intelligent
  19. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,801 Messages
    7,167 Likes Received
    Yep, they spend good resources on CBs while trying to find Gs and Cs in the bargain bin. DL too.

Makes sense.
  20. SilverStarCowboy

7,432 Messages
    387 Likes Received

It ain't all waiting on you, that's vanity.