1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Whitney Mercilus among National Football Post draft tracker's Junior Prospects on the

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Feb 5, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Junior-prospects-on-the-rise.html

Junior prospects on the rise
    Underclassmen who could move up draft boards with strong post-seasons. Wes Bunting
    February 04, 2012
    QB Brock Osweiler: Arizona State (6-8, 240)
    I’m not a huge fan of Osweiler. I think from a pure talent standpoint he’s probably worth a third round grade. However, when breaking down his tape, his overall performances and grade as a quarterback doesn’t warrant much more than a later round pick. However, he’s a strapping kid with sneaky athleticism for his size and a strong arm. And with some of the struggles of the senior quarterback crop, Osweiler is a guy who could seize momentum throwing vs. air at the Combine -where I expect him to excel- and become the draft’s third rated QB.

ICONOsweiler has the talent to move up draft boards.

TE Orson Charles: Georgia (6-3, 241)
    The mismatch tight end is becoming the “must have” postion in the NFL now. A guy who can create down the seam and separate from the slot vs. safeties/corners warrents quite the price tag in today’s NFL. Charles is a gifted athlete who runs well and has the type of athleticism needed to create vertically and run after the catch. He’s going to be the most athletic tight end at the Combine this year and likely will end up being the top rated “off the line Y” prospect in the draft., which could allow him to sneak into round one.

DT Dontari Poe: Memphis (6-5, 350)
    There aren’t many men in the NFL that possess Poe’s combination of size, power and athletcism. And that right there will likely cause him to get drafted higher than his play warrents. The big man flashes on tape there is no doubt about that. However, he doesn’t have that kind of play-to-play passion you look for, as his motor is inconsstent and he doesn’t make a ton of plays on the football. I’d feel more comfortable taking this guy somewhere in round two and giving him more time to mature.. However, the talent is elite and when it’s all said and done I can see him getting over drafted because of it.
  2. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    I'd take Mercilus over Ingram or Upshaw.
  3. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,889 Messages
    478 Likes Received
    yeah mercilius just seem to look like a JPP/aldon smith type rusher. And boy do we need rushers. Heck I would be happy if we could drop into the low 20's and pick up a 2nd or 3rd and still be able to get Mercilius because we need passrush asap.

The best tackles he faced he abused. He has the length and athleticism that scares offensive lines and QB's. But alot of scouts are saying he is tight in the hips and that kind of scares me along with him being a 1 year wonder (Didn't they say that about aldon smith?).

If he has a good combine he will fly up the draft board.
  4. Primetime42

Primetime42 Well-Known Member

2,937 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    I think the production of JPP and Smith pushes him higher, and that's not even taking into account his combine performance. He's Day 1 for sure.
  5. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,643 Messages
    1,479 Likes Received
    I am a little leary about this guy. He was a 3 star prospect in HS and basically has a career year this year.