1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Whitney Mercilus or Stephon Gilmore in any order

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Bigtommyb, Jan 7, 2012.

1. Bigtommyb

Bigtommyb Member

369 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    This won't be the last time you hear this, i want either of these guys. Depending on who's there or gone. Mercilus from ILLINOIS is a high motor guy. As for Gilmore, he is 6'1 decent speed. New's replacement. With Whitney Mercilus, 6'4 265 sets records with 8 ff, 16 sacks, however projected to play OLB at next level.
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,329 Messages
    2,209 Likes Received
    I'm not even sure both are certain 1st rounders. No way would I take either at number 14... yet.
  3. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    If DeCastro and if one of the top 2 CBs are already gone when we pick, I'm thinking it may be better to trade back to the early 20s (around 21/24 area) and pick up an extra 2nd or an extra 3rd and 5th rounder.

We could probably still get C Glenn at OG at that spot, and he should also be a Day 1 starter. With the extra 2nd or 3rd, we could get a quality Center as well.

We could use the other two picks on a CB and maybe DL/OLB.
  4. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,000 Messages
    136 Likes Received
    This. Either of those guys at pick 14 is a huge reach.
  5. MichaelWinicki

31,329 Messages
    2,209 Likes Received
    I agree.

I'm not thrilled with any of the OLB/DE types at #14. They look like "Anthony Spencer" to me or maybe even a step down.

If DeCastro and the two top corners are taken, I'm all for bailing at #14.
  6. neosapien23

neosapien23 Well-Known Member

2,763 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    I seriously doubt Mercilus would put up Spencer numbers. Spencer only had 3 sacks his senior year at Purdue and the most sacks he ever recorded was 7.5 his junior year. I do agree with him being a huge reach at 14 though, but he will be a sure first rounder most likely in the mid 20s.
  7. MichaelWinicki

31,329 Messages
    2,209 Likes Received
    I'd recheck those stats on Anthony Spencer from Purdue.
  8. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,746 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    Totally agree.....though I don't even think Decastro is the right pick at #1 to be honest...not because he isn't good, but taking a guard that early just doesn't feel right....especially with a monster like Silatolu available later on.

Defense does need to be addressed in a BIG way.
  9. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    yeah that guy doesn't know hoe to read or is just another Spencer hater so they miss read stats on purpose.
  10. supercowboy8

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    really, how are you so wrong. You should really do research before posting.

In 2004, Spencer played in 12 games and started in 11. He registered 33 tackles and finished third on the team with 7.5 sacks and 9.5 stops for losses. He also batted down six passes and forced three fumbles, earning All-Big Ten Conference honorable mention.

Even though he started all 11 games in 2005, Spencer failed to match his 2004 performance due to several minor injuries. He was limited to 23 tackles, three sacks, and 7.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage. He caused three fumbles and recovered another while also deflecting one pass.

Spencer had a great senior season in 2006. He finished the season ranked second in the nation with 26.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage, the fifth-best season total in Big Ten Conference history. He finished second on the team with 93 tackles and first with 10.5 sacks. He also caused five fumbles and recovered another while batting away six passes and blocking one kick. He was named the Purdue football team's Most Valuable Player.
  11. Bigtommyb

Bigtommyb Member

369 Messages
    4 Likes Received

Mercilus is defenitely a first rounder. Do your homework. Now Gilmore maybe a top to mid second rounder, but Mercilus is a solid first rounder.
  12. Bigtommyb

Bigtommyb Member

369 Messages
    4 Likes Received

Mercilus had 16 sacks and 8ff, was a finalist on all defensive awards. As far as production he has already succeded Spencer in college. If Decastro is there, while i like him i'd rather go defense. We need a guard with a little experiece. Your right about Mercilus projected around low 20's. However with Upshaw and Ingram gone at 14, him and Curry from Marshall are the next best things at OLB.
  13. supercowboy8

5,201 Messages
    280 Likes Received
    Gilmore is way to slow for me. They guy doesn't even look like he knows how to backpedel. He just shuttles his feet and plays way to high.
    Plays a lot of zone/bail and almost always uses shuffle technique rather than the traditional pedal. Appears to be at his best when the action is in front of him. Shows very good recognition skills in zone coverage. But doesn't look like a man cover CB to me. I would rather have Boykin than Gilmore.
  14. Bigtommyb

Bigtommyb Member

369 Messages
    4 Likes Received

I agree i'd go the FA route with a little experience for a guard. Defense in my opinion needs to be addressed with first three picks OLB,CB,ILB or CB,OLB,ILB! I agree guards needs to be addressed but that should be our main priority in FA!
  15. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    You might want to read Vela and Bunting talking about Mercilus at Cowboy Nation .
  16. Bigtommyb

Bigtommyb Member

369 Messages
    4 Likes Received