1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Who are the five best football players on our team?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Cowboy Brian, Apr 21, 2014.

1. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    is it sad that i have a hard time coming up with 5?
  2. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

5,006 Messages
    1,419 Likes Received
    I wouldn't look at just yards. I would look at what he does for the offense as far as becoming the guy the defense needs to take away opening up other guys. Also the way he makes catches over 2 guys for TDs not many Wrs do that.
    BigStar likes this.
  3. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,610 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    Romo, Dez, Smith, Lee, Witten.

I always rank players based on overall value to the team. To put it simply - if 'this guy got hurt', could we still be competitive.

If Romo went down I seriously think we'd be a 3-13, 4-12 team.
  4. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,502 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    Everyone saying "if Romo went down we'd be a 3-13 team" must have forgotten 2010. That myth was disproved that season. That was a 1-5 team when Romo went down and we somehow managed to go 5-5 the rest of the way, .500 football... Which is what we have been the past 3 seasons.

So please stop saying without him we'd be a 3 win team, has been tried, tested and proven that we aren't.
    jnday likes this.
  5. CowboyStar88

5,006 Messages
    1,419 Likes Received
    True but this team doesn't have the talent on the defensive side of the ball to win 5 games without Romo
    BigStar likes this.
  6. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,502 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    Again, that's just not true. The team was very competitive in week 17 last year and fought the Eagles to the wire for the division title.

Based on that, and what we saw in 2010, proves that Romo is not as invaluable as some like to believe.

He's a good player, but based on what we've seen, this team is not crippled when he's out of the lineup. They've proven to be basically the same team without him as they are with him.
    jnday likes this.
  7. dstovall5

dstovall5 Well-Known Member

2,850 Messages
    1,835 Likes Received
    Try digging deeper as to why we went 5-5 the rest of the way(and 1-5 with Romo), it's already been talked about how the defense stepped up drastically after Romo went down. It doesn't fit the agenda though, so we just won't mention that part right?
  8. CowboyStar88

5,006 Messages
    1,419 Likes Received
    Key phrase was 5 games. Not just the 1 game. I get what you're saying, but over 5-10 games this defense would not hold up like in 2010 they could've won another game or 2 if it wasn't for a RW fumble or another offensive TO.
    BigStar likes this.
  9. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

4,118 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    Unfortunately, JG doesn't game plan to Romo the same way he does towards the back ups. This is what he should be doing with Romo all season. Adapting game-plans to accommodate for the opponent, creating mismatches and funneling the offense almost extensively through (Murray/Dez). It seems JG just wings it with Romo, but witht the backup QBs he does seem to put in a somewhat innovative, adequate game-plan that caters to our talent compared to the opponent to exploit mismatches and "design by play" ways to pick up ugly yardage (screens, RB flat passes, shorter crossing routes, etc.) Something he seems less likely to accommodate when he feels Romo can wing it and win it Rodgers style.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  10. CowboyStar88

5,006 Messages
    1,419 Likes Received
    I wonder how much of that has to do with Romos freedom within the offense to audible out of plays. I'm sure there are different rules when it comes to Orton being able to audible.
    BigStar likes this.
  11. BigStar

4,118 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    Great point! I didn't mention that specifically, but that is definitely tied into that as well. Like the Rodgers style where he has free reign.
    CowboyStar88 likes this.
  12. BigStar

4,118 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    You don't have five players? Who are your favorite players on the team (not trying to be a jerk about it)? Or you saying blow the whole thing up kind've thing? (We're not that far off, @ least on D) I see your point there, but would think Lee or even Melton could be on that list (character issues set aside and strictly talent)
  13. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,564 Messages
    134 Likes Received
    In no particular order...

Romo, Dez, Tyron, Lee & Witten.

On a side note, I am a HUGE Romo fan but I do not understand why some claim we'd be 3-13 without him when in fact we went 5-3 with Jon Kitna.
    TheFinisher likes this.
  14. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,437 Messages
    913 Likes Received
    Of course, it took Kitna's best season (88.9 QB rating) to help make that happen and he still finished with almost as many interceptions as TDs (16 to 12).

So it depends if other positions would step up like they did in 2010 to give the replacement QB the help he needs. For instance, in a three-point victory over Indianapolis, Dallas intercepted Peyton Manning four times, including in overtime to set up the winning points. Also, the final game of the season against Philadelphia (if I remember correctly) featured mostly a lot of backups for both teams, including Stephen McGee at QB, in a meaningless game.

I also think Dallas' improvement that year shows what a waste Phillips turned out to be as a head coach. There was absolutely no reason for Dallas to perform that poorly with Romo at quarterback, and the "lazy" approach the coach instilled in the team was made clear when Garrett took over and lit a bit of a fire under the team.

But I do agree that we can't say how Dallas would do without Romo. Some teams have performed better with worse. It all depends on how the ball bounces and who steps forward to carry some of the load.
  15. barney

barney Active Member

263 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    Bryant
    Romo
    Lee
    Smith
    Bailey
  16. hornitosmonster

hornitosmonster Well-Known Member

4,476 Messages
    455 Likes Received
    No order.

Romo ,Smith, Dez, Lee, Murray

Close are Williams and Frederick
  17. JackWagon

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Not really ... most of the guys are old or injury prone. I like Smith and Frederick ... but the rest ... not so much. You want young talented guys with zero issues that can stay on the field.

Bryant - Head case and took 3 years to learn his first playbook.
    Murray - hurt every year
    Lee - hurt every year
    Romo - old - i dont build a team around a 34 year old QB with 2 back surgeries.
    Witten - old - has a couple years left but his best years are behind him
    Claibourne - hurt - small Cover corner you are asking to now play zone the majority of the time.
    Sarge likes this.
  18. BigStar

4,118 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    I disagree about Dez being a headcase but don't disagree with much of this.
    jnday likes this.
  19. JackWagon

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    I disagree about Dez with most people on this board anyway .. no biggie :) ... i think that move up to get him when we really needed a corner at that point was a mistake by the GM. And when Dez gets his money he will go full on diva. I'm just waiting for it. I really think he takes a step back and struggles this year because Linehan is going to change the playbook and Dez wont be able to handle it cause of his lack of smarts.
  20. BigStar

4,118 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    Or a coach that can relay his primary concepts, route variables, etc.;) Don't blame Dez bc we don't know how to use him to control momentum of games that result in wins. I know he was productive and given many chances. Some creativity wouldn't hurt to open this thing up a bit.