1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Who are you rooting for in the Post Season?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Fastphilly, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Fastphilly

Fastphilly Member

244 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Interesting read. I would add Joey Galloway as another one of Jerry's free agent picks that didn't pan out. He gave up a #1 draft pick for him right? Though if I remember right it was more to do with him being injury prone than his on field talents so I can see why he wasn't mentioned in your post. Still he had a track record in Seattle of always being on the bench injured so Jerry should have weighed in that factor before signing him.
  2. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

4,967 Messages
    399 Likes Received
    i like the way the seahawks team is playing, i'll route for them. I think The Broncos win it all though and that will be a great comeback story for manning.
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,877 Messages
    2,136 Likes Received
    No, he gave up TWO number one picks for Galloway. :laugh2:
  4. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

37,502 Messages
    3,808 Likes Received
    Clemson won last night. Gamecocks are winning. Whoever plays ND.
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,416 Messages
    8,310 Likes Received
    I can only think of one splash move he ever made that made any positive difference with the team. Deion.

Everything else has been swing and a miss. You don't build teams with flash but substance. Deion only worked because the team was already built. Making a splash move this offseason like he did in the cornerbacks gone wild offseason last year would do nothing to improve the team.

They don't need a superstar jersey seller. They don't need a big name coach. They don't need a new play caller. The Cowboys need a nice, quiet, non-sexy spring where they upgrade the ho-hum trenches.

They need several seasons of that, actually. Let's get started now.
  6. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Active Member

2,563 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Same here
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,468 Messages
    6,173 Likes Received
    Was Herschel a Jimmy-thing? That was pretty splashy. Charles Haley, maybe?
  8. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,878 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Who gets Comeback Player of the Year, Manning or Adrian Peterson? I'd go AP but what great candidates this year.
  9. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,416 Messages
    8,310 Likes Received
    I'm only referring to the time period where Jerry actually had influence in personnel. So post-Jimmy. When he took over and ran the team right into the dirt.
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,468 Messages
    6,173 Likes Received
    AP deserves OPOY. He deserves them both, frankly.
  11. Fastphilly

Fastphilly Member

244 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Ouch!!!
  12. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,764 Messages
    851 Likes Received
    All the moves I mentioned were "splash" moves. Haley was an established player who won rings in SF. That was clearly a splash move as was the trade ups for Dez and Claiborne. Any move to bring in a big name player to help elevate your team and generate fan excitement is a splash move. The Cowboys need something to excite the fans and bring some optimism to a team that continues spinning it's wheels at 8-8.

You can't market an 8-8 team and keep fans hopeful by bringing in quiet, non-sexy mid tier free agents from losing teams. To market a team you have to generate excitement amongst the fans giving them some hope. This is why teams fire coaches, GM's and bring in big name players it's all about putting butts in the seats and that takes winning.
  13. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,040 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    At this point I don't care about anything but the Redskins losing in some horrible fashion. I hope Seattle dominates them.
  14. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,877 Messages
    2,136 Likes Received
    I'd like to see them lose too, but don't count on it. Seattle is very beatable on the road.
  15. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,863 Messages
    1,750 Likes Received
    Ya, I just don't get how some Cowboy fans aren't rooting against the Skins. That just doesn't make ANY sense.

To each his own I suppose. :(
  16. Fastphilly

Fastphilly Member

244 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Completely agree. They put up 50 burgers on some dreadful teams on the road but for the most part they are beatable on the road against any team with a decent defence.

Give them credit though, they are world beaters at home. They crushed my boys pretty good on Sunday Night.
  17. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,764 Messages
    851 Likes Received
    The trade for Galloway was another desperation move by Jerry like the trade for Roy Williams a few seasons ago. Jerry gave up two #1's for Galloway in an attempt to give Troy Aikman a weapon. That move was a result of Jerry passing on Randy Moss a couple of years earlier and losing Michael Irvin the following year to a career ending neck injury. Galloway never panned out because he and Aikman only played one game together. Galloway was lost for the season with an ACL in his very first game as a Cowboy.

Aikman was released after that season and when Galloway returned from injury the following year he was stuck with a rookie Quincy Carter and a series of other scrubs at QB. Galloway was a deep threat who stretched the field so being stuck on a declining team with a poor QB situation led to him not panning out with the Cowboys. He was swapped for Kesean Johnson a few years later who was a better fit for the Cowboys because he was a big bodied possession receiver. Galloway went over to Tampa and had some nice seasons there.
  18. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,416 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Using the Red State - Blue State selection process, I'll be supporting the Texans, the Colts, or the Falcons.
  19. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,040 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Seattle has actually been playing better on the road down the stretch. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them dominate the Redskins. They just got Browner back too, so their secondary is loaded. I will say for sure they won't get suckered on that option play all day long like we did, I guarantee you that.
  20. Fastphilly

Fastphilly Member

244 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    You would think not, but if there is any weakness in Seattle on defence it's their linebacking corp that has problems covering the underneath routes.Still they are quick and do a good job as of late containing those inside runs. They were having problems earlier this season with up the middle runs but it looks like they ironed that out as of late. Redskins need to drum up a different gameplan if they want a chance at advancing.