1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Who gets cut for Tanney?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by cowboyz, Aug 18, 2013.

1. cowboyskid29

cowboyskid29 Member

224 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Totally true.

Look at the first game he played. He was 5-10 but at least three of those passes were easy catches that were dropped. If he has similar success in the next two games there is no way we cut the guy. If we were willing to hold on to McGee for as long as we did why wouldn't we keep Tanney? As aforementioned, Tony is 33, so finding his replacement is, or soon to be a priority.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,996 Messages
    7,740 Likes Received
    I'll stick by what I said earlier: if they're giving the guy halves of early preseason games, it's because they're looking at keeping him on the active roster and not because they're hoping to stash him. QBs are just way too valuable to lose a good one trying to sneak him onto the PS.
  3. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

4,413 Messages
    777 Likes Received
    They're giving the guy tons of playing time because what other choice is there? They know what they have in Romo and Orton, why risk them? So these 3rd and 4th string guys gets tons of time. If one of them shows particularly well, he makes it to the PS. Mind you, no other team really has any idea how he's looked in TC, only our organization does. So do you really think some team is going to waste a highly valuable roster spot for someone whom they really have no idea about? I sure don't. This guy is going to the PS (at best), mark my words.
  4. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

6,067 Messages
    982 Likes Received
    I guess I do understand your inclination to overuse canned phraseology, but not your aversion to potentially retaining a relatively young and inexpensive QB prospect because he is two or three years older than your average college graduate. He might not ultimately be worth a roster spot from a skill perspective, but being a 25 year old shouldn't bright line him.
  5. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,392 Messages
    1,357 Likes Received
    you mean kind of like Matt Moore?
  6. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,556 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    yeah, unless your name is Moore of course o_O
  7. RW Hitman

RW Hitman Well-Known Member

2,556 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    ditto
  8. CooterBrown

CooterBrown Well-Known Member

1,621 Messages
    329 Likes Received
    Do you really believe that? You don't think other teams scout our training camp just like we do theirs? Other teams don't know how he has looked in meetings, but you better believe they know everything he has done on the field.
    CowboyStar88 likes this.
  9. snapper

snapper Active Member

259 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    If what is being said about Tanney's rapid development is true, I see no reason why they would risk losing him for a special teamer.
  10. bulldozer

bulldozer Member

31 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    One hit away from Orton starting and that scares me! I vote to keep Tanney, develope his talents. Orton seems to be about as effective as Tebow .
  11. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

5,010 Messages
    1,422 Likes Received
    Obviously there is a reason Tanney got the amount of playing time he did against AZ and Nick didn't get a snap. I would venture to say that maybe Dallas only goes 3 at RB Murray, Dunbar and Randle and that spot goes to Tanney.
  12. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,179 Messages
    353 Likes Received
    I think so.

I'm not sold on him..playing 3rd string offense

and playing against 3rd string.defenders.

Slow down on this..really.

You guys think because he's resorting to YouTube to get a try means he's got something.

Whoa.
  13. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,392 Messages
    1,357 Likes Received
    The book is still out on Tanney, I want to see how he looks these next two games. He appears to stare down his receiving targets and that's something to keep an eye on.
  14. CooterBrown

CooterBrown Well-Known Member

1,621 Messages
    329 Likes Received
    Yeah, let's cut Tanney and keep Beasley. (I'm joking, please don't start "Beasley" debating in this thread too.)
  15. AZ_Cowboys_Fan

AZ_Cowboys_Fan Member

516 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Dd you say the same thing about some Romo guy from Eastern Illinois in 2003? It's a QB driven league. When you find a QB worth developing you keep him. Anyone sitting on their couch at home can see that Tanney has more potential than Stephen McGee ever had. Tanney has the tools you cannot teach.... pocket awareness, arm strength and accuracy. He can learn everything else from coaching and game experience. He'll be on the 53 man roster.

16. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,891 Messages
    2,361 Likes Received

agree with you
    finding a good developmental QB on the chap would be great
    lets give him more time in the next 2 games against 1st and 2nd string to get a better sense
  17. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,382 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    It doesn't really apply to the QB's.

Tanney simply isn't ready to be a starting QB for at least the next 2 years. If he gets picked up, it's probably due to QB injuries from another team or that team is scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as QB's go.

Teams are more likely to go after non-QB players because they can have some impact on the team from a special teams standpoint.

YR
  18. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,382 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    Romo was a different case.

He was two years younger. We had Quincy Carter and Chad Hutchinson in front of him. Kyle Orton is better than either QC or CH was back then. In fact, Sean Payton wanted to start Romo in 2003 but Parcells rebuffed him.

Romo also was a stud player, but for a small school. He won the Walter Payton award *twice*.

Two completely different scenarios.

YR
  19. ware1manarmy

ware1manarmy Member

77 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I want to see more as well. I like the potential and you never know when a NFL career will come to a sudden halt. Injuries end careers all the time. If you can get him to the 53 without sacrificing any real talent, why not but I really do want to see more for any real opinion
  20. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,996 Messages
    7,740 Likes Received
    Teams without pickup QBs they think even have a shot at developing. I agree, obviously, if they see a guy cut at another position who can actually give them ST snaps this season, they'll grab them. But, if you're carrying 3 QBs anyway, and think you can upgrade your developmental QB with a player you want to take a look at, you're going to pickup a guy who's shown you something on tape. When you've got playoff teams putting Joe Webb in with the season on the line, it tells you all you need to know about 2nd and 3rd string QB depth in the league right now.
    ware1manarmy likes this.