1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Who has the most Game Winning drives in a Dallas season?

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by big_neil, Dec 11, 2005.

1. big_neil

big_neil Benched

902 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    With this being Drew's 4th Game winning drive (half our wins), with a GW drive defined as leading your team to win after the start of the 4th quarter when your team trails or the game is tied. (@SD,@SF,NYG,KC), I'm wondering if any Dallas QB ever had more?

Anyone?
  2. big_neil

big_neil Benched

902 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Drew needs to average 315 YPG to set the all time Dallas yards record. He needs 322 YPG to reach 4000. He had 332 today...
  3. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    know much about the Cowboys do you?

Roger Staubach - Captain Comeback. 23 victories while trailing in the fourth. 17 of those with two minutes or less. 13 of those with one minute or less.

I don't know of anyone statistically who is noted for this type of a career and I can't find the stats for it. These numbers comes from an extensive blurb on Roger as one fo the "famous Texans".
  4. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received

My guess would be Roger Staubach. Here is a quote snippet from a very good historical Cowboys book.

But....

Roger Staubach has been quoted as saying that Comebacks are kind of overrated because heck if you had played better in the beginning then there is no need for a comeback at the end.
  5. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/2004playoffsQB.html
  6. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

4,946 Messages
    292 Likes Received
    I think Neil's only question was what the record is in a single season.
  7. big_neil

big_neil Benched

902 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    So Roger set the standard of perfection there. He played 131 games. So he had 1 GW drive ever 5.7 games.

Drew had played 185 games (95W-90L) and had 31 GW drives, or one every 5.9 games. So Roger was in fact better than Drew there, but it's close. Drew needs 2 more GW drives in the next 3 to match Roger at exactly 1 every 5.69 games.

I'm not saying Drew is as good as Roger or Troy, I'm just using the standard of excellence that you already set.

Actually I was reading up on Roger today at:

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.jsp?player_id=201
  8. big_neil

big_neil Benched

902 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was asking for single season numbers BTW. Note that in his Dallas 13 games, Drew has 1 GW drive every 3.25 games. Nearly twice the rate as "Captain Comeback", or himself for that matter. How many more can you expect?
  9. Maikeru-sama

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Let's see Drew get us to the Playoffs first before we start putting him in the same light as some of these other guys.

And dont forget about Don Meredith and Danny White either

- Mike G.
  10. big_neil

big_neil Benched

902 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Two out of 3 with 1 against the lowly Rams (hitting new lows today) and 1 against the lowly Redskins (as far as recent history vs Dallas) and 1 versus the now beatable at Carolina panthers (Drew is 7-3 in his last 10 road contests). I'm liking our odds of 11-5 now. This is 1996 all over again.
  11. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...to oranges.

Anyone who has followed the NFL over the past 15 years know that there have been groundbreaking rules changes that have favoured the offence and receivers.

They range from hits, to equipment to even the lowly spike of the ball to stop the clock. At one time that was considered intentional grounding and would have been loss of downs.

Staubach had very little at his disposal compared to modern day QBs, and on top of that the league at that time was heavily run oriented.

To put it into perspective the speedster of his day, Bob Hayes, led the 1970 Cowboys with 34 catches for 889 yards for an incredible 26.1 yards!

For the 1975 Cowboys Drew Pearson had 46 catches for 822 yards and a 17.2 yard avg. That year Drew was the leading scorer with 8 TDs and Doug Dennison the FB was second with 7 TDs.

The game is much more balanced towards the offence rule and equipment wise. When two minutes used to pretty much signal the end of the game nowadays one minute is considered enough time to score twice.

It was much harder for Staubach to accomplish what he did than what Bledsoe has done.