1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

who is actually worth a top 18 pick?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by JoeyBoy718, Mar 3, 2013.

1. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

3,619 Messages
    1,255 Likes Received
    I think there is only about a handful of players worth the #18 pick. If one of these following guys doesn't fall to us, I say trade back instead of reaching. Who would you add or take off?

OT: Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson
    OG: Cooper, Warmack
    DT: Floyd, Loutlelei
    DE: Jordan, Werner, Ansah
    S: Vaccaro

I just want to add. Dion Jordan can play that Von Miller 4-3 SLB role who is an elite pass rusher.
  2. Cowboy_Ace

Cowboy_Ace Member

129 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Not a fan of sheldon richardson? Outside of him being added to ur list I think I mostly agree with the trade back, I also think vaccaro is iffy...jmo tho :)
  3. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,474 Messages
    973 Likes Received
    Many would likely disagree, but I think Moore may be worth a Top 18 pick. Yeah, he had an awful combine, but the guy dominated against SEC competition.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,263 Messages
    1,836 Likes Received
    Moore is a classic case of overreation. He was probably overrated (almost certainly since many had him as thr 2nd or 3rd pick) but he's being dropped too far, imo.
    Classic case of " I guess we'll see in a year or two".

I'm assuming this thread mean who is worth th 18th pick for Dallas.
    If so, he has it pretty close.

You sit at 18 and see how it plays out. Once your board is empty of players worht the top 18-20 pick, you trade down. I think one will be there though.

Plenty of people would say Patterson, Moore, Jones, Mingo, Allen, Richardson, Ogletree and Rhodes are worth 18 too. Each team will have it differently. Afew here that would argue strongly that even Tavon Austin is worthy.
  5. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,730 Messages
    731 Likes Received
    I'd add Mingo, Richardson, and Jarvis Jones.
  6. tm1119

tm1119 Well-Known Member

2,939 Messages
    545 Likes Received
    Take out Vaccaro and add in Richardson and that's my 11 I want. 12 if Jarvis Jones' medicals are good enough to feel comfortable drafting him.

I think we have a real shot at getting 1 of those 12 too. The only problem is that we may (or may not) have a GM that thinks our current crappy o line is good enough and won't take 1 of the guards. Hopefully I'm wrong, we'll see I guess.
  7. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,671 Messages
    152 Likes Received
    I would add:

Damontre Moore, Jarvis Jones, Mingo, Richardson and Patterson.

People may fuss because WR is not a huge need for us but Tavon Austin has the talent and could be heavily utilized in the slot and on returns for us. He would be a mix of Wes Welker/Percy Harvin for us.

I know we're rolling with Romo and we should be, But if Geno Smith falls to 18, which he won't, he's still worth the 18th overall pick.
  8. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,474 Messages
    973 Likes Received
    If Geno Smith falls to us, we better be on the phone. I would love to land a first next year.
  9. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,313 Messages
    1,203 Likes Received
    +1

if smith is there, there are teams that could trade us their 2nd this year and their 1st next year to get him (their first having already been selected prior to #18, KC, jax, cle, az, buff, nyj)...that might be worth it...although, I would prefer staying at #18 and getting the best OL available...I could see a small trade down to pick up more, but we have to go OL in the first round...there really aren't too many teams that pick after us in the first round that need a qb
  10. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,835 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    I was a huge fan of Jordan in a 34 but worry about him in a 43. I take Ansah out and add Richardson. I really don't think Ansah is a first round guy.
  11. kevinhickey

kevinhickey Member

320 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    I like Jordan a lot. He could get into the weight room do to his shoulder injury. I think he could add the weight and play 4/3 end. We are not going to get him at pick 18.
  12. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

886 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    Agree with you.

Seriously, do people even know for sure when Ansah is born? I believe Dane Brugler said he found out. But still.
  13. DFWJC

22,263 Messages
    1,836 Likes Received
    You guys are right about fair value.
    Our 18th pick, value-wise, is about the same as 2nd rounder this year and a 1st next year, if you assume those picks will be in the top 10-12 picks in both rounds.
  14. DFWJC

22,263 Messages
    1,836 Likes Received
    Really?

I can't imagine Ansah not being in the 1st round, and I'd be very surprised if he's there at 18.

I agree on Richardson. The latest he goes is to us at 18, but odds are that he may be gone before then.
  15. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,352 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    Cooper
    Warmack
    Richardson
    Vaccaro
    Fluker
    L. Johnson
    Ogletree
    Jarvis Jones
    Kawann Short

Could all be in play at 18 and would all make sense for us.

Arthur Brown is another guy who some scouts view as a top 15 talent, depends on how the team grades him out but he wouldn't be a bad pick either. NFL.com grades him as the 11th best player in the draft.
  16. ABQcowboyJR

ABQcowboyJR Well-Known Member

2,835 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    I'm not saying he won't go in the first, I'm sure someone will take a chance. The guy is a huge project and a 1st rounder is too rich for a project IMO.
  17. Questfor6

Questfor6 Well-Known Member

1,237 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    I hope he's there and the Raiders call, I'd take their 3rd this year (no 2nd available) and there 1 & 2 next season. That alone would probably net us Clowney next season but the only way I do it is if all our top guys on the board are gone.