1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Who is Bob Lilly? (Don't hurt me, please)

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Tass, May 8, 2006.

1. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I am really enjoying this thread...:D
  2. Tass

Tass Lucky Devil

1,930 Messages
    142 Likes Received
    Asking at the Zone IS my idea of online research.

In the future I'll be sure to screen all my questions with you, ok?
  3. Tass

Tass Lucky Devil

1,930 Messages
    142 Likes Received
    You obviously didn't read my initial post. Yes, I've heard of him. Couldn't tell you anything other than the guy's name, though.

They don't show too many Bob Lilly highlights nowadays...sorry if I miss them.
  4. Tass

Tass Lucky Devil

1,930 Messages
    142 Likes Received

See? I never would have seen this cool story that made me smile if I'd just googled the guy's name. That being said, the fact that so many of you were turds in response to my question probably has ended any chance of me (or anyone else) asking you guys stuff in the future. Those of you that answered with no B.S., thank you. I enjoyed reading your memories.
  5. Pottsville Maroons

Pottsville Maroons Member

705 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    That sign is still there, on the corner in front of the Courthouse. It kind of makes me feel close to the Cowboys history just to be driving through there.

By the way, I'm the same age as the guy that started this thread and I'm glad he asked the question. I have seen the NFL Films shows about the older teams, but the stories that are being told here are just as good.

I think it'd be great to start a thread like this each week, on different players, just to get to read the stories each of us has.
  6. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament...

29,115 Messages
    464 Likes Received
    c'mon guys... we have someone wanting to learn the history of the Cowboys...

Fun jabs are ok, but don't be arses...

A couple of us have been considering starting Cowboys 101 for several months now...

It might be a good idea at this juncture...
  7. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Let me know if you start, I'd love to be a part of it.
  8. royhitshard

royhitshard New Member

945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Who is this Ghandi you speak of? :D
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

80,531 Messages
    4,995 Likes Received
    Ghandi? Thin guy played for Cinn a few years back. :lmao2:
  10. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Totally agree with this post and CBZ's.

He's a young fan that wants to learn more about perhaps Dallas' greatest player. A lot of us love posts like this because we like to relive some of this stuff.

Lilly used to live in the same town I do now and I had the privilege of meeting him and spending a little bit of time with him.

For a defensive lineman, I think his game was surprisingly subtle. His strength was natural and underrated and his quickness was probably his best asset. He was also instinctive and smart.

He was the one player who Landry seemed almost in awe of. He was the perfect player for an innovative defensive mind like Landry.

Lilly also is a great photographer and has been all over the Southwest getting award-winning shots. When I moved here, one of the first things I did was visit his gallery and buy a black-and-white print of a windmill in a wheat field.

And something Thumper alluded to earlier, Lilly has a great testimony.
  11. Doomsday101

80,531 Messages
    4,995 Likes Received
    True about his photography . Funny thing is it all started when he was named to the Kodak All American team, each guy was given a kodak camera and from there Lilly's interest in photography took off.
  12. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament...

29,115 Messages
    464 Likes Received
    He's got an excellent book of his photography of his years with the Cowboys...

It is a picture history of the forbearers of "America's Team"... a must have for those that enjoy Cowboys history...

Warning... there is a picture of Meredith's bare arse wearing a jock strap, so you kids beware... :D

Bob Lilly: Reflections
  13. Doomsday101

80,531 Messages
    4,995 Likes Received
    I have a copy of Reflections and I agree it is a must for Cowboy fans
  14. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,911 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I applaud the idea. The fact that some folks here don't know the history of this team should not be a slight on them. The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked. Perhaps a "cowboy's History Zone" might be appropriate.
  15. Doomsday101

80,531 Messages
    4,995 Likes Received
    I agreed with you up until you said "The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked" Have you heard some of the media interviews over the last few years? :lmao2: Stupid question get asked.
  16. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Who Is Boby Lilly? Who Is Bob Lilly?!!! What?!! What?!!
  17. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,475 Messages
    352 Likes Received
    there are no stupid questions
    only stupid people
    JK;)
  18. Doomsday101

80,531 Messages
    4,995 Likes Received
    But do they all have to work in the media. :laugh2:
  19. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

68,576 Messages
    8,781 Likes Received
    Actually, there is a History Zone. You guys just need to use it. ;) :)

http://dallascowboyszone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20
  20. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,475 Messages
    352 Likes Received
    not all of them. some are actually posting at ES as we speak.:eek: