1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Who is Bob Lilly? (Don't hurt me, please)

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by Tass, May 8, 2006.

1. dwmyers

dwmyers Well-Known Member

2,049 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    And like Randy White, Landry misplayed him at a position he wasn't good at until switching him back to DT.

With Randy White, it was LB. With Lilly, it was DE.

David.
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
  3. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received
  4. DA FAN

DA FAN Active Member

1,081 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have met him several times at autographs sessions and had the opportunity to chat with him briefly on every occasion.

I can tell you, he is THE NICEST guy around. He is always glad to sign your items and THANKS YOU. (that's right) He THANKS YOU for stopping by.

Very, very freindly. [IMG] [IMG]
  5. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,482 Messages
    342 Likes Received
    Wow...that question sure makes me feel old...but very lucky, too.
  6. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,986 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    I like this story...

http://www.sportsjunkie.info/

Story of the Week
    BOB LILLY
    It remains one of the most memorable throws in Super Bowl history, though the object was not a football, and the toss fell incomplete. Bob Lilly, the Cowboys’ defensive tackle, punctuated the dramatic conclusion of Super Bowl V by heaving his silver helmet 40 yards through the Miami sunlight.
    As Dallas’ first-ever draft pick, its first Pro Bowl representative, and its first consensus all-pro, Lilly was especially devastated by the Baltimore Colts’ 16-13 victory. The Cowboys had been derided as "Next Year’s Champs," and their stumble against the Colts in a game pockmarked by mistakes would prolong the stigma.
    Dallas had every opportunity to win this game. In years to come, and in retrospect, Bob Lilly stated that he feels the infamous helmet toss was his feeling of frustration about the Cowboys finding another way to blow a big game.
    The fact that they had been in a position to win the game was a tribute to Lilly, who joined the Cowboys in time for their second season in 1961 and became a cornerstone of their famed Doomsday Defense. He earned his first of 11 Pro Bowl trips as a defensive end, then moved to tackle after his second season.
    Lilly was remarkably agile for such a tower (6-5, 260) of strength, and, according to a former teammate, he had the kind of vision associated with great running backs. Per fellow lineman Ron East, "Most defensive tackles have trouble just keying on the offensive guard, but Lilly keys on the entire offensive line and the ball at the same time."
    For years, the Dallas coaching staff forwarded game films to the league office, accompanied by play-by-play sheets with alleged holding infractions against Lilly circled. Former umpire Pat Harder testified to the fact that Lilly got held as much or more than any lineman he ever saw. Former Cowboys line coach Ernie Stautner, himself a Pro Football Hall of Fame player, frequently told Lilly that it was the opposition’s only chance to neutralize his great talent.
    A Texas native who starred at TCU, Lilly was a Lone Star legend well before Dallas drafted him. He added immeasurably to the reputation of playing in every one of the Cowboys’ 196 scheduled games during his 14 pro seasons, and returning three opponents’ fumbles for touchdowns. But the individual achievements paled in comparison to the fulfillment he realized in Super Bowl VI.
    One year after temporarily losing his head in a rage, Lilly got even as his team thumped Miami, 24-3. Fittingly, the play that symbolized Dallas’ domination featured Lilly, who burst through the Miami line late in the first quarter, and teamed with Larry Cole to chase Dolphins’ quarterback Bob Griese back, way back into his own territory and tackle him for a stunning loss of 29 yards. That play was poetic justice for the frustration felt by this great Hall-of-Famer just one year earlier.

I also remember reading a story about Lilly in the Cowboys Weekly many years ago testifying to his natural strength. The story goes that when the TCU recruiter came to his home to offer him a scholarship, Lilly was lifting an engine out of his truck with his bare hands. The recruiter was amazed....
  7. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Did he not know how to enter "Bob Lilly" into a search engine? Jeez.
  8. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I don't......what the heck is a search engine???????:eek:

He received a better answer by asking the question here.
  9. vicjagger

vicjagger Well-Known Member

2,140 Messages
    64 Likes Received
    If you know of a search engine that can provide personal memories, opinions and even some direct experiences directly from Cowboy fans, let us all in on it.

Until then, you belong here:

10. ElPanadero

ElPanadero Member

139 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I tell you what...normally when a thread is this long, I'll read the first couple of posts and skip on over to the next thread. I read each and every one of these and enjoyed each story. Thanks.
  11. flashback

flashback Real Man of Genius

707 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I was only 4 when Bob Lilly retired, but to this day, he is my all-time favorite Cowboy. His dominance on the field and class off it, the fact that he was the 1st draft pick this franchise ever selected, he spent his whole career with the club, he was a native son, he delivered the first championship.

Remember that movie Jerry McGuire, when Cuba Gooding, Jr. was talking about "the quan"? Well, whatever that is, Bob Lilly had it. No player is bigger than the team, but Bob Lilly comes about as close as you can get.
  12. dwmyers

dwmyers Well-Known Member

2,049 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    This story is very very similar to an urban legend told about Jimmy Foxx and Bronco Nagurski. You can check out the explanation in Bill James' The New Bill James Historical Baseball Abstract in the section on Jimmy Foxx.
  13. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,894 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Thank You! I had not scrolled down that far on my list. I still maintain that we need to encourage questions here. My questions have generally been met with positive, helpful reponses. That's one of the reasons I come here. WG, I hold you up as one of the best examples of that. :bow:
  14. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think that if the initial post/header/question had been worded differently then people would have responded in a more positive manner. Something like: "Can anyone share some information on Bob Lilly? I'm too young to have seen him actually play and I would appreciate hearing from those who did." Most here would have jumped at the chance and not treated the kid as if he were an infidel.

Personally, I relish any chance I get to talk about my hero and was thankful for the opportunity to share my own experiences and knowledge of him.

I guess I should visit the History Forum more often as well.
  15. Joe a Cowboys fan

Joe a Cowboys fan New Member

1,005 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If Willie Nelson had known Bob Lilly better he would have sung "Mommas let your babys grow up to be Cowboys". He was a dominant DT, a genuine nice guy and he set a standard for Cowboy's players that remains today. A lot of people think about the Boys double clutch shifts at the line, Coach Tom's inovations or the truely tough plays many of the early Boys made, but Lilly set the standard for coming to work every play and every day. All of the Boys Superbowls started with having a killer D and all the killer D's started with having a stand up player. Lilly was the first one. He made all his team mates play better and that in my opinion is what makes a SuperStar.
  16. THUMPER

THUMPER Papa

9,522 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Something to remember when people talk about Terrell Owens being a "SuperStar". He is simply "SuperTalented" but he doesn't make his teammates play better. Alienating your QB in two different cities is not what teammates do.

If Bob Lilly is what all Cowboys players should aspire to be then Terrell Owens is the antithesis.

Sorry to take this thread in a different direction but the dichotomy just hit me as I read your post.