1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Who is our strength and conditioning coach?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Arik2, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Arik2

Arik2 Member

77 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Does it seem like the past couple of years, there has been ALOT of hamstring issues with our team???? Who is running our strength and conditioning? I gotta believe that this program they're following isn't working... This is getting ridiculous...
    Blackspider214 likes this.
  2. KevinU

KevinU Active Member

353 Messages
    47 Likes Received
  3. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

2,678 Messages
    991 Likes Received
    Wow I came here to post this exact thing. Beat me by a few minutes. This team is flat out soft. I know injuries happen but these are ones that can be avoided. Hamstrings is something you can avoid. Yet we never do. And when Newman left, don't think he had any groin issues with the Bengals. It's always something with this team. We are 2 days into camp and we have a ton of guys that are not out there. And then we wonder why when the season comes along, they are rusty.

Don't worry, Miles, Lee and Murray will be next. Spencer already hurt and may need knee surgery that could put him out up to 3 weeks. Ratliff can't even pass his conditioning test.

Different season, same story. It's getting old.
  4. BoysFanInAustin

BoysFanInAustin Active Member

315 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    The guy has 6 rings. IJS
  5. popp1234

popp1234 You will never outwork me, you talented bum! Zone Supporter

3,253 Messages
    276 Likes Received
    His former players give him much props for playing a significant role in them getting their rings, so......
  6. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,943 Messages
    4,497 Likes Received
    Well to be fair it does seem like there are a lot of hamstrings. Having said that it is one of the more common injuries. Never did football but some hockey which had its share. I'll bet if you look at all the lists on all teams you'll see a common pattern.
  7. popp1234

3,253 Messages
    276 Likes Received
    I'm more inclined to focus on stretching and hydration more than conditioning, with regard to these hamstring injuries.
  8. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,943 Messages
    4,497 Likes Received
    There was a time when having a balanced hamstring and quads were important. But I agree with the hydration and mostly the stretching. You must also warm your muscles before exercise as well no matter how well stretched. So a good bit of this is dependent on the players as well as the trainers. You have to watch some like a hawk.
  9. popp1234

3,253 Messages
    276 Likes Received
    I agree, some individuals need more attention during pre-practice/game activities. Obviously, this will never completely eliminate hamstring injuries, but I think it will go a long way in minimizing the aforementioned usual causes of the injury.
  10. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

2,567 Messages
    1,142 Likes Received
    Maybe I shouldn't be surprised some of you didn't know who Wociak was because you're young but the guy is probably the premiere strength and conditioning coach in the league and yeah he has six rings.

He has dedicated his entire professional career to his craft so he knows what he's doing. I'm sure he has gone over every aspect of every injury -- sometimes it's just bad luck and yep we've had more than our share.
  11. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

7,542 Messages
    678 Likes Received
    There were plenty of injuries before Woicik returned to the Cowboys. People wanted to blame that coach as well.
  12. unsportsmanlikeconduct

unsportsmanlikeconduct Active Member

430 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    Probably more to do with the new restrictions in the current CBA. Those that choose to be lazy in the off-season can be and then they will suffer injuries due to not being in prime shape. Maybe the coaches try to make up for the lack of off-season work by going too hard at the beginning of training camp.
  13. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,900 Messages
    7,647 Likes Received
    I wish we followed a team with a lot tougher hamstrings. I want hamstrings like rawhide on every player we draft from here on out. Also, I think we're mentally weak when it comes to hamstrings. And I think Garrett's long snap count might have something to do with this, too. Also, Jerry should have drafted some guys with a history of strong hamstrings in college.
  14. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    He also had Jimmy Johnson and Bill Belichick as his coaches...
  15. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    Oh good lord.
  16. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,525 Messages
    1,064 Likes Received
    Every team has these issues. You just happen to follow the Cowboys, so the situation is exacerbated in your eyes.
    Nation likes this.
  17. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    So he was hired by two of the best head coaches ever? Man, he must suck at what he does..
    CowboyGil likes this.
  18. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    I'm just saying, you can't correlate that he's one of the greatest strength coaches in the history of the NFL because it takes a collaborative effort and Woicik has been surrounded by plenty of Hall of Fame players and coaches.
  19. cbow44

cbow44 Member

596 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Mickey and Bryan speculated that the soft field might have something to do with the hamstring issues. On a side note Rat passed the conditioning test even with his hammy and Spencer has a bone bruise. Not sure how a bone bruise can be laid at the feet of the strength coach.
  20. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,748 Messages
    669 Likes Received
    If you've held a job in the NFL for over 20 years straight and counting and you've won more super bowl rings than you can fit on one hand, becoming the coach who's won more super bowl championships than any other, winning multiple awards in the process.. i think you're probably doing a pretty good job.