1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Who is the best fit at runningback to replace Felix?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by 1Star5Rings, Feb 17, 2013.

1. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,602 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    I honestly think we were surprised to see him and Mendenhal on the board. I honestly think we expected to be choosing between Felix and Stewart. I think we'd scouted both so extensively that we sold ourselves on Jones
  2. durrrr

durrrr Active Member

719 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    drafting a RB > signing one in FA
  3. durrrr

durrrr Active Member

719 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    A lot of reasons. I think drafting a RB is a much better option than signing one, especially one that's not really going to help our ground game. In my opinion, we need a back that can pick up the tough yards behind a mediocre offensive line and is capable of carrying the load if Murray is injured.
  4. daschoo

daschoo Slanje Va

2,385 Messages
    159 Likes Received
    Tashard Choice is a free agent :D
  5. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,987 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    How about a rb with durability and can carry the rock 25 times a game if Murray goes down for several games?

A guy who can block and catch a bit out of the backfield?

Run fairly balanced inside, with enough explosion around the outside?

Oh, how about a rb who can convert on 3rd and 1's, 4th and 1's?

Oh, oh.... A rb that has a nose for the end zone?

If Murray can stay healthy, he can definitely be all of that. But we need someone on the field who can do that all the time. No harm in creating competition with another viable option.
  6. MissouriCowboy

MissouriCowboy Well-Known Member

1,294 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    Woodhead is not that good. Try not let a Patriot type of hype get to you sir.
  7. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,514 Messages
    2,391 Likes Received
    They are deep.

Recall that after the 2010 season they added Darren Sproles and used a 1st round pick on Mark Ingram. Plus they already had Pierre Thomas, who is also very solid. Ivory was odd man out.

He's a good player but nothing special.
    Like some have said, drafting a back in the later rounds may not be a bad idea--if we drop Felix.

I think Dunbar and/or Tanner are still in the mix as possibilites for RB3.
  8. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received

we have the winner

Rex Burkehead
  9. JDSTAR

JDSTAR Active Member

218 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    What about Dennis Johnson from Arkansas? I know the compliment back from Arkansas burns a bit, but the tape I've watched on him seems good. Maybe a 6th. Note- he was snubbed from the combine.
  10. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    It was reported that Wade Phillips wanted Chris Johnson.
  11. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,514 Messages
    2,391 Likes Received
    Can't imagine how good Johnson would be on a team that can routinely pass for > 300 yards in a game. He's no AP, but defenses do load up on him pretty heavily, yet he still has averaged 1360 yards each year (5 straight >1000) in the league. Almost as importantly is he has never missed a game due to injury.

And then guys like Ray Rice, Jamaal Charles and Matt Forte all went much later..and they were all more productive that Felix in college and have been better pros.
    Oh well.
  12. dart

dart Benched

811 Messages
    31 Likes Received

being only 5-8

Like many successful kick returners, Johnson's success in this realm has more to do with his vision, lateral agility and burst than pure straight-line speed. Whether as a running back or returner, he is quick to and through the hole, has a nice stutter-step to get defenders leaning and, due to his low center of gravity, always seems to fall forward.

Johnson certainly isn't going to generate the attention of his teammate Davis (nor should he) but with NFL teams increasingly on the lookout for versatile playmakers, he could earn consideration in the late rounds

don't get me wrong I'd love to have him

he may go UDFA
  13. DMAC

DMAC Member

285 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Felix was in the backfield with McFadden, so his touchs were less than those others. But his yards per carry blow all of those listed out of the water.
  14. Maxmadden

Maxmadden Active Member

999 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    These attributes have more to do with being successful than straight line speed. Speed is nice for the big plays but you really only have to get 10 yards. It's the 2nd gear that separates most backs. Emmitt was nearly slow but he could accelerate to full speed in 5-10 yards. Dorsett had the gear also but he had the extra high gear too.
  15. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,141 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    I'll take Lacy...
  16. durrrr

durrrr Active Member

719 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    1st round pick on a RB? yeah, no thanks
  17. JDSTAR

JDSTAR Active Member

218 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Thank you for the info. I don't know much about him other than the few videos they have on YouTube. Looks appealing for the later rounds or UDFA as a compliment to Murray.
  18. GoCowboysGo

GoCowboysGo Active Member

981 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    I don't understand why we need "complimentary" players? Why not just get a player who is as good, if not better, to create competition? I think that's why there's this perception that there is complacency within the Cowboys organization. Perception is reality fair or not.
  19. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,419 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    I agree, Murray is more than capable of carrying the full load and can stay on the field all 3 downs. We don't need a "scat back" or third down change of pace guy. We need a guy capable of replacing Murray when/if he gets hurt. Tanner and Dunabr can fill in for a series or two, but not more than that.
  20. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,265 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    get Bernard from UNC and Theo Riddick from ND, or take a flyer on Lattimore with one of the aforementioned guys.