1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Who is the highest paid retired NFL player? The answer will likely surprise you

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Mr Cowboy, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Mr Cowboy

Mr Cowboy Well-Known Member

8,586 Messages
    836 Likes Received
    Take a break from Jerry bashing and draft ideas..............
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...er-answer-likely-surprise-203235589--nfl.html

Bet not many of you guessed Roger Staubach.

Staubach was a Heisman Trophy winner at Navy, the Super Bowl VI MVP for the Cowboys at quarterback, also won Super Bowl XII with the Cowboys and threw for 22,700 yards and 153 touchdowns in his nine NFL seasons. He was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1985. And he was just as successful after he was done playing.

Staubach was 12th on the list at $12 million for 2013. He does some stuff for USAA promoting military awareness but isn't a well known pitchman or anything. So what gives? Staubach hit the jackpot in real estate.

According to Forbes, Staubach started a real estate company in 1977 as his Cowboys career was coming to an end. He owned 12 percent of the company when he sold it to Jones Lang Lasalle in 2008. The multi-year payout totaled $640 million. The 72-year-old put half of his share into a trust for his children, Forbes said, and the last payout from the sale was last year.

For all the current NFL players, Staubach provides quite the lesson: Invest wisely now, it might pay off big later on in life.
    JackWagon and khiladi like this.
  2. Afigueroa22

Afigueroa22 Well-Known Member

1,014 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Good to know he's well off. I remember on the America's Game DVD set Bob Lilly said in the old days some players had side jobs to stay afloat financially. It would be kind of awkward to call up a plumber and have D.Harris show up.
    Corso likes this.
  3. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

2,375 Messages
    1,527 Likes Received
    Deserves every penny.
    Amazing player. Amazing ambassador for both the Cowboys and the game of football.
    Gave many a fan many amazing memories.
    Give that man every penny he's due. Not an ounce of hate from me and I suspect many others like me.
    unionjack8, jobberone and khiladi like this.
  4. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

11,930 Messages
    1,984 Likes Received
    Legend...
    jobberone likes this.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,740 Messages
    3,936 Likes Received
    Great guy. Glad he made it big. He did it the old fashioned way....he earned it.
    Corso likes this.
  6. bark

bark Well-Known Member

2,288 Messages
    961 Likes Received
    He and tom are the best ambassadors the cowboys have ever known. Great qb and a better man. Good for you roger.
  7. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,776 Messages
    397 Likes Received
    My brother in-law worked for him on a resort project he was developing. It king of hit the skids with the economy though.
  8. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,686 Messages
    1,625 Likes Received
    Roger Staubach is one of the rare people who are every bit the person you expect them to be.
    jobberone likes this.
  9. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Frankly this doesnt surprise me at all ... Staubach has been a winner his entire life.