1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Who is the most overrated sports writer/analyst

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by ringmaster, Jun 18, 2014.

1. jday

jday Well-Known Member

3,059 Messages
    835 Likes Received
    It is a tough debate between Goose and JJT - I honestly forgot about JJT because over the years I've learned to avoid his contributions.
    AsthmaField and ringmaster like this.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

16,317 Messages
    7,561 Likes Received
    To be overrated, they would have to be highly rated by somebody or group. I can't really think of any there are rated high enough to be overrated.
  3. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

10,725 Messages
    2,360 Likes Received
    The few that don't stink, yes are far and few between. I am actually shocked anymore when I read a decent article. Even ones with constructive criticism.
    As to over rating garbage, true, but there are different levels of garbage. some stinks more than others. LOL. The longer the garbage [writer] been around, putting out their crap, the worse it stinks...LOL
  4. d_dub88

d_dub88 Active Member

358 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    I thought it was funny when he wrote JJ or JG mental capacity. Somehow this clown is smarter than a billionaire and a Princeton grad.
  5. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,900 Messages
    2,792 Likes Received
    What I would like to know is who in your opinion is a journalist in sports now, and who was this mythical sports journalist of a bygone era since some here think this is a lost art form?

I have been reading the papers about this team since the early 60's, and outside of Blackie Sherrod, and his band of Ft. Worth Press, I see little about the local sports writers that have changed other than the social media and the demand for more content. Which would dilute the sports information.

FT. Worth Press

[IMG]
    Clockwise from top right
    Dan Jenkins, Bud Shrake, Andy Anderson, Jerre Todd and Blackie Sherrod - center,

As a side note, the weekend of the Kennedy Assassination, Sherrod took over as the editor of the Dallas Times Herald for the entire paper. He was a real newsman and started most of these guys in the sports journalist business..

However, there was a man who wrote for the Morning News back in the 60's known as the poison pen sports writer who found nothing about the Cowboys he couldn't turn negative.

History always looks quaint in some aspects, but rarely is as bucolic as it appears from today. I might agree with the thread about this group. But the usual suspect that wrote for papers forty years ago is about the same as it is now, with less content required.
    birdwells1, ringmaster and casmith07 like this.
  6. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,796 Messages
    1,359 Likes Received
    So you may have to hold your pee along time to find one worthy of be extinguished? :)
  7. jazzcat22

10,725 Messages
    2,360 Likes Received
    I think Charean Williams is, and has been one of the better writers out there. She can be objectionable but yet positive. Can be critical but not be a hater. Very good reporting IMO.

One of the worst is the little ball of hate in Jennifer Floyd Engle, is she even still around. Randy Galloway corrupted her big time. When she first started, she was actually decent IIRC.
    Once she got on the hate show of GAC, she just spewed crap after crap.
    CowboyMike, ringmaster and casmith07 like this.
  8. Hostile

Hostile Jason Garrett's Loudest Supporter Zone Supporter

119,427 Messages
    3,683 Likes Received
    Writer...Mike Lupica.

Commentator...Ed Werder

Announcer...Mike Tirico

Analyst...Lou Holtz

Studio talking head...Screaming A. Smith
    ringmaster likes this.
  9. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

7,160 Messages
    2,333 Likes Received
    I don't know about overrated but I have always thought Skip Bayless is awful.

He is a good writer but to insinuate that Troy was gay in one of his books was just wrong.

Troy was ready to beat him to a pulp. Just wrong to spread that kind of rumor.
  10. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,825 Messages
    3,159 Likes Received
    Stephen A. Smith is also one of the most well-connected and respected sports media personalities. When he talks basketball people should listen. The NFL stuff with Skip is just ratings fodder.
    JohnsKey19 and ringmaster like this.
  11. casmith07

27,825 Messages
    3,159 Likes Received
    Chris Berman is inordinately worse than Smith in the studio.
    CowboyMike, ringmaster and mrmojo like this.
  12. casmith07

27,825 Messages
    3,159 Likes Received
    Thanks for that, TwoDeep. You learn something every day.
    ringmaster likes this.
  13. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

2,930 Messages
    1,579 Likes Received
    Wow - I think Johnny Miller is one of the best. He's opinionated and honest to a fault, has walked in player's shoes and won majors. I also know the golf swing having caddied in two US Open qualifiers and sectionals and I don't know how you could possibly say he's speaking gibberish. In fact in the golf circles I know of in Orlando he's held in high regard. Honest, Rich, I'm really blown away.
    casmith07 likes this.
  14. Doc50

Doc50 Original Fan Zone Supporter

1,041 Messages
    401 Likes Received
    Yeah, Bayless used to be a decent writer, but he has devolved into one of those attention-seeking TV blowhards whose very presence equals BS.
    Sick of his whining and sensationalism.
    ringmaster and BoysFan4ever like this.
  15. Hostile

Hostile Jason Garrett's Loudest Supporter Zone Supporter

119,427 Messages
    3,683 Likes Received
    Never heard of him. ~wink~
    ringmaster and casmith07 like this.
  16. RonSpringsdaman20

RonSpringsdaman20 alpha seeing omega Zone Supporter

4,388 Messages
    1,643 Likes Received
    Can I just pick a news outlet?
    ESPN...
    they suck...
    and they aren't news anymore..
  17. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

7,160 Messages
    2,333 Likes Received
    Wasn't there suppose to be some new sports network starting up on cable?
    ringmaster likes this.
  18. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,931 Messages
    2,086 Likes Received
    Rick Reilly
  19. jazzcat22

10,725 Messages
    2,360 Likes Received
    Who was the guy, was decent sometimes, then went off on a tangent [yes it applies to many]
    Jim Rhome, who I believe was Cowboys QB Jerry Rhome's son. Didn't he refer to Jim Everett when he was QB of the Rams as Chris Everett, or Chrissie Everett on his show, and Jim Everett went after him to beat him up. He was livid.
    Anyway, he IIRC was the Skip Bayless of his time. One time decent, then became a d-bag.
    ringmaster likes this.
  20. Doc50

Doc50 Original Fan Zone Supporter

1,041 Messages
    401 Likes Received
    It's Jim Rome -- no relation to Jerry Rhome.

But you're right, he has turned into another mediot. I guess they all eventually drink the ratings potion, and succumb to BS in order to increase their audience. It' kill or be killed out there, man.
    ringmaster likes this.