1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Who thinks we franchise Spencer this weekend?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by BruceLee5450, Mar 1, 2013.

1. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,113 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    I think it is pretty doable if we cut Connor, & restructure Scandrick/Ratliff.. Do you want your best defensive player back next year again on a 1 year deal, or are you ready to move on as a fan?
  2. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,612 Messages
    738 Likes Received
    Little bit of a stretch to call him the teams best defensive player.

If you'd have said last years best defensive player you'd have an argument.

But even playing with one arm ware matched his sack total.
  3. texbumthelife

texbumthelife Well-Known Member

3,485 Messages
    811 Likes Received
    I think we franchise him and I think they spend a great deal of time examining the market for him. I think it's still 50/50 Spencer is here next season. I don't think he leaves without compensation though.
  4. BruceLee5450

2,113 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Yeah, sorry I figured you would get my drift.. 2012's best defensive player, I agree that Lee/Ware are better & now Bruce Carter is looking like a stud that fly's all over the field...

Back to the question at hand, if you are able to get over 11mil in space by Monday, would you franchise him Vanilla?
  5. john van brocklin

john van brocklin Captain Comeback

1,567 Messages
    222 Likes Received

Have to see if we make anymore moves to free up cap money.

I hope we at least trade him, I hate the thought of just letting him walk.
  6. Questfor6

Questfor6 Well-Known Member

1,315 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    With Melton & Byrd getting tagged there are really no top tier Defensive players worth spending good money on, so yes I hope we tag him. I'd much rather have Spencer on a one year deal then just let him walk for nothing.
  7. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,478 Messages
    842 Likes Received
    Super unlikely. Not under the cap enough as of now. Doubtful it all happens by Monday
  8. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,417 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    I would only tag him to buy time to work out a new deal or to trade him. If the market isn't there they can always pull the tag. I don't think I would pay him $11m for one year, maybe a 5/42m. He gets 23m over the first 2 years and cutting him or restructuring after 3 or 4 wouldn't be too painful.

10m sb
    2013 4m salary 6m cap hit
    2014 5m salary 4m roster bonus 8 cap hit
    2015 6m salary 9 cap hit
    2016 6m salary 9 cap hit
    2017 7m salary 10 cap hit

I'm just messing around with the numbers playing Jr GM and it might not even be enough to sign him, but that's what I would do.
  9. BruceLee5450

2,113 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    What mid-tier FA's would you go after then bknight? If you are going to be able to get above 12-13 mil, I see it as a must to franchise Spencer. He is way more valuable than a couple guys who would most likely be playing on situational downs.
  10. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,644 Messages
    5,556 Likes Received
    I thought this thread was about Spencer?
  11. BruceLee5450

2,113 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Yeah, are you too lazy to scan through the posts?? I definitely meant your best defensive player from the 2012 seasons, which he was. I already typed out that both Lee/Ware are better football players & Bruce Carter is coming on as well.
  12. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,963 Messages
    1,522 Likes Received
    If they can clear the cap room, then I see them tagging/signing him...but, if their plan is to go after a FA on the OL, then perhaps they will use the money on a guy like Levitre or one of the OT's that are going to be available via FA...then, the first round pick is on DE to replace spencer....lots-o-options
  13. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,638 Messages
    997 Likes Received
    Ware, Carter, Lee, and Carr are better than Spencer.....so please, just stop
  14. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

7,061 Messages
    1,118 Likes Received
    Yea but they weren't better than him last season.
  15. cheftjpeck

cheftjpeck Active Member

336 Messages
    154 Likes Received
    I personally would not... I mean isn't Spencer the same guy most freaked out about franchising last year at 8.8 million ?
    We have too many other needs to sink big money into one guy who had one stellar season prefaced by a a few good/ok seasons.
    One could argue that spencer was not the best player in 2012 yet rather healthiest... Don't get me wrong ,I do like spencer and wouldn't mind having him back , but the price is too high with cheaper quality options in the draft
  16. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,660 Messages
    269 Likes Received
    I don't want him getting franchised or receiving a big contract. He's been a bust until last season. Maybe I'll get flack for saying that but that seems to be true
  17. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,525 Messages
    1,064 Likes Received
    I'm still hoping for the franchise-trade scenario. I do like Spencer, but for a second, I'd certainly part with him.
  18. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,859 Messages
    2,340 Likes Received
    i guess we can agree on something :)

tag spencer with the intention of trading him for a 2

if we cant find a trade partner, he plays on the tag

no long term deal for a soon to be 30 year old one year wonder
  19. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,638 Messages
    997 Likes Received
    :lmao2:

yeah...ok
  20. LittleD

LittleD Active Member

869 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    There are viable alternatives to Spencer that might cost a lot less while providing the help we need at DE.

My choice, if he indeed hits the market, is Israel Idonije from the Bears...
    The coaches will know a great deal about how to use this DE in our new scheme and he can sack as well as Spencer. My guess is that he can be had for half the money Spencer is going to demand.

Just shake the trees, no need to pile on more wasted dollars on 1 year wonders....