1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

who was our greatest president? and give an example

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by cowboys#1, Oct 22, 2008.

1. cowboys#1

cowboys#1 Finish!

2,407 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    tired of obama/mccain threads....something diffrent and to kill time at work:D

I say it was FDR pulled us out of depression and led us to victory in WWII mostly confined to a wheelchair.:eek:

well, led the handoff to truman for victory. :)

FDR:bow:

[IMG]
  2. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would say George Washington (even though I have some problems with his personal life).

I don't think people realize just how fragile the early United States was and the guy flat out held everything together.

I remember my AP History Teacher told us a story, but some of it is kind of fuzzy.

He said there was a group of soldiers I believe that wanted to make George Washington king or something. While in the meeting, George Washington took off his whig and his false teeth and told him that he was basically too old and basically it was a horrible idea, or something along those lines.

Also, you got to remember back in those days, it was all about obtaining power and keeping it, George Washington could have been President until he died, but chose to walk away from power and set a huge prescedent.

[IMG]
  3. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,645 Messages
    398 Likes Received
    Reagan

[IMG]

He made the U.S. the most Powerful Country in the World.

He gave Americans back their pride.
  4. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,697 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    Can you elaborate? I haven't heard much about anything in his personal life being questionable, other than he likely smoked pot...

I find anecdotes interesting...
  5. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Where have you gone Ol' Ronnie?
  6. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,697 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    That is a great picture... and I loved Ronald Reagan...
  7. cowboys#1

cowboys#1 Finish!

2,407 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    yeah he was great...i miss his toughness and sense of humor:(
  8. CowboyPrincess

CowboyPrincess Priceless

4,610 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree and he also brought an end to the cold war which was huge to me as a teen that was living close to a nuclear power plant and was afraid Russia was going to attack and nuke us. I had frequent nightmares about that. After I saw his speech... they were gone

General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!

R.I.P Mr. President. Wish you were here to help us through this crisis as well
  9. Maikeru-sama

Maikeru-sama Mick Green 58

14,547 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He owned slaves.

I have to disagree about Reagan, I think winning World War II made this country great...even though I couldn't have voted at the time :).
  10. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,449 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    I have to say that he set a great example for the burgeoning republic, not to mention his single-minded determination to keep the continental army in the field in the face of overwhelming odds.

But I wonder, despite not losing the war and stepping down from power when the time came, what was Washington like as president?
  11. Big Dakota

Big Dakota New Member

11,875 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Actually, i think it was opium.
  12. bootsy

bootsy Benched

892 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Reagan yuck. Where is the vomit smilie when I need it. I have lived through 4 presidents and I can only go by what I lived through, what my family and friends lived through. The best president of my lifetime has been Clinton so far.
  13. VCDefectors

VCDefectors Benched

1,080 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I've always been a big fan of Lincoln and Jefferson. But I doubt they could lead in today's times. Their contradictory personal lives, particularly Jefferson, wouldn't get past the headlines.
  14. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,619 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    The answer is, obviously, Franklin Pierce because (like myself) he is originally from New Hampshire :D

[IMG]
  15. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bill Pullman, "Independence Day."
  16. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    no doubt any list of the top-10 President's we make are all currently rolling over in their grave with what may happen in two weeks and the direction our great country may end up taking.

as others have said, Washington has to be close to the top if not #1...Lincoln should be on there...Teddy Roosevelt...Reagan
  17. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,385 Messages
    165 Likes Received
    Agreed, the speech on the runway about saving our existence!!!
  18. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,842 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    Lincoln is always at the top....or close to the top of most lists....as is Washington...and FDR.

Funny about Lincoln. He was ridiculed and hated by most Americans at the height of his presidency. It wasn't just Southerners that despised him...Many Northerners thought him a good man, but not up to the task.

One of Lincoln's advisors even lamented at Lincoln's "imbelicility". George McClellan called him the "original gorilla".

Lincoln's most unpopular act was the Emacipation Proclamation....which didn't free a single slave (that was the thirteenth amendment). He was certain that he was going to lose the election of 1864.

The point is, we often look so quickly at a President and we want to place them in history immediately. But often we need time to step back and see how good, or bad a President is.

Lincoln was a great president. He was dealt a terrible hand at the start of his presidency....yet in spite of shouts and cries to cut the cancer away, Lincoln held the country together.

I think I would rate Washington as the best President though. Our country was a mess after gaining independence. The Articles of Confederation was a limp, worthless government. We were 13 countries...not one....Many Americans scoffed at the idea of a National Government....but Washington helped to calm those fears. He also helped provide the blueprint for how the office of president was supposed to be run. He was the one that started the idea of a Cabinet.
  19. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,976 Messages
    1,221 Likes Received
    Amazing at the ignorance of people about Washington. Smoked opium, smoked pot. Do you people have a brain at all?
    As for the slaves- he inherited them from his brother and freed them in his Will. Trying to judge people 200 years ago by standards NOW is the height of arrogance and stupidity.

Washington turned down absolute power 3 separate times. In early 1777, in 1782, and by refusing a third term as president. He would have been president for life and might have set a bad precedent and made sure that it did not happen. He wanted a clean, clear democratic hand off of power after his term to show everyone it could be done- since it had NEVER done before.
    I have great admiration for Lincoln- but Washington had to BUILD everything; there was very little government at all and he had to put it together and make it work. NOTHING is harder then that.
  20. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,068 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    Lincoln for winning the war that kept your country together.

Washington for leading the war to ensure you had a country.

FDR for getting you through the Great Depression