1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Who Will Win The NBA Championship?

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by Cowboys&LakersFan, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There's usually five teams who have a legit shot at the championship every year. In no particular order I would those five teams are the defending champion Dallas Mavericks, the defending East champion Miami Heat, the former two time champion Los Angeles Lakers, the young up and coming Oklahoma City Thunder, and the Chicago Bulls.

I'll be a homer and say the Lakers :D

On a serious note I really think they can bounce back. Everything that I'm hearing is Kobe is feeling great. His knee according to sources and also his teammate Derek Fisher is in the best shape it's been in years. There have been reports that Kobe has been doing 360's and in between the legs dunks. He hasn't been able to do that in years. If Kobe and Gasol can get back to their 2010 form so can the Lakers. People are saying the Lakers are done which is fine with me, but it's just funny to me how people forget the Lakers won back to back championships just a year and a half ago. I just don't see how you can say a team is done after one failed playoff run. The Mavs beat the Spurs in the 2006 playoffs in the 1st round and people said they were done. The Spurs won the title the very next year.

Although my pick is the Lakers I wouldn't be shocked if the Mavs repeat or the Cheat win it.
  2. The30YardSlant

The30YardSlant Benched

24,279 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Oklahoma City. You could see their potential last year, and they are so incredibly young and athletic. The Lakers are on the downswing, Kobe clearly isnt what he once was and is entering the jumpshooting phase of his career that every great scorer eventually hits. Gasol, Odom and Artest can all see their best days in the rearview mirror. The Mavericks and Spurs are both very old and the Trailblazers don't have an identity at all. The Grizzlies will be interesting to watch, but IMO they are the Thunder with less top end talent. Very young and athletic, though.

The East is largely insignificant, as the Bulls don't have the firepower on offense to win the title and the Heat will never win a title with a bunch of scrubs standing around and watching Lebron, Wade and Bosh try to score 80+ combined every game. If they couldnt beat a Mavericks team that was outclassed athletically by a huge margin, they won't beat the up and coming Thunder. Everyone else is just playoff fodder in that conference.
  3. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,844 Messages
    70 Likes Received
  4. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Kobe has clearly declined? He averaged two less points than he did the year before and that's only because he played significantly less minutes. He hasn't declined significantly as you claim. Kobe actually led the league in points per minute at almost 30 a game. Gasol although he played poorly in the playoffs still had a very solid season 18 points and 10 boards. He's still in his prime. Odom had the best season of his career last year and won 6th man of the year. They still have Bynum who is one of the league's top centers when healthy. Like I said you can't write off the Lakers acted one failed playoff run they won two NBA championships for a reason. They're still a great team and not just gonna fall off.

As for the Thunder they are way overrated IMO. Yeah they made the West Finals, but then they got smacked by Dallas in 5. The only reason they made it was because they had an easy road. They played a very under talented Denver team who doesn't have one single all star on their roster and a Memphis team playing without Rudy Gay. OKC has issues of their own. Their bench outside of Harden isn't very good, they're undersized, and don't have a low post threat. They also have the whole Westbrook/Durant issue. Westbrook is a ball hog and takes way too many shots.
  5. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,740 Messages
    253 Likes Received
    The short season will favor older teams like the Mavs and Spurs, if the Mavs re-sign Chandler i say Mavs repeat
  6. kev8822

kev8822 Member

226 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    It will be interesting to see who goes where in free agency. Lakers want to add Baron Davis and Rashard Lewis when they get the amnesty cut.

I also want to see if the talk about Kobe's knees are all BS or true. He went to Germany and had some procedure done. Steven A Smith said he was jumping out of the gym when he saw him.
  7. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,899 Messages
    731 Likes Received
    I'm going with Mavs repeating, tenatively, at this point.

I do think my Oklahoma City Thunder are going to make some noise but I'm not sure if they're quite ready yet to take that next step to become champions.

I hope they are.
  8. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,476 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Bulls or Heat
  9. Keystone_Heavy

Keystone_Heavy Member

275 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I'll say the Heat.

I don't believe in OKC. They just seem like the Houston Texans of the NBA. They have been a trendy pick for like 3 years now and have done nothing but establish themselves as the 4th best(or so) team in the Western conference each year. Yeah they made the conference finals last year, but ***** did they have an easy road there. I'm just starting to get tired of the hype.

I hope my Clippers get a 7th or 8th seed though.
  10. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,066 Messages
    2,484 Likes Received
    The Heat, Thunder, or Lakers.

I think it's hilarious people are now saying the Mavs can't win without Chandler. I thought Dirk was the greatest of all time.
  11. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    West -

LAkers - Old and slow with a new coach ... (yea Kobe is gonna love this) ... i predict Kobe gets brown fired.

Mavs - Old ... but if they get chandler may be the team to beat.

Spurs - Old ... but still have Timmy.

OKC - great young team but i hate their point guard. Takes too many shots.

East -

Heatles - I wish nothing but doom and gloom on this group.

Celtics - Older than the LAkers

Bulls - Need someone besides their PG to make buckets he cant do it alone ... even Jordan needed a team.
  12. trickblue

trickblue Old Testament... Zone Supporter

28,755 Messages
    196 Likes Received
    Mavs will be fine... and they'll fill any holes and be in the mix again this year although I doubt they win it all... I'm thinkin' Heat/Thunder finals...

Dirk isn't the greatest of all time... that's Bill Russell, but Dirk is an NBA great... and a certain Hall of Famer...
  13. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,933 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    The Big 3 will win it all.

Amar'e
    Melo
    CP 3
  14. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Dirk is the greatest Maverick of all time ... for sure. Name someone better.
  15. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If you are saying people call Dirk the greatest Maverick, that is correct. If you are saying people call Dirk the greatest baseketball player, I don't think anyone is saying that. Certainly if anyone has they represent a micor-fraction of fans and not any common way of thinking.

As for needing Chandler, no great player can do it all alone. Not Kobe or Jordan or Jabbar or Russell or Chamberlain. Nobody has ever claimed Dirk could do it alone either. Having a physical presance in the middle was always a weak spot for the Mavs before Chandler, so why would anyone take it as a negative toward Dirk to say we need that presence back?
  16. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,066 Messages
    2,484 Likes Received
    There are certainly people on this very forum that said Dirk was the greatest PF of all time. But now all of a sudden the greatest needs Chandler to win another title.

If they can keep most of that team together, at their age, with a shortened season, it will help them compete.
  17. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Michael Jordan is the greatest of all time.
  18. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Again, I don't get your point about needing Chandler. Regardless of how anyone ranks Dirk's "greatness", when has it ever been said the greats didn't need help? Besides, nobody is saying Chandler is bigger piece of the puzzle than Dirk, they are merely recognizing the Mavs need for a strong inside presence.
  19. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,491 Messages
    1,480 Likes Received
    I think that it's going to be interesting this year. Older teams are going to have an advantage this year because the NBA is not going to play a full season. That's a big advantage for teams like Boston and the Lakers.

I think that the comments on Kobe slowing down are not as accurate as many may think. Kobe's stats were down last year but he played fewer minutes. His actual points per minute lead the league last year. I think that the Lakers absolutely need a point guard. If they can acquire Paul or Williams, get Gasol over his love sickness breakup issues, keep Bynum and Kobe intact, I think they are the odds on favorites to win the West.

In the East, I think it's the Heat again. To much talent not to be the favorites IMO.
  20. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,491 Messages
    1,480 Likes Received
    Jordan was great, and I'm a North Carolina Tar Heel fan, but I don't think he was the greatest of all time.