1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Who would be on the Short List for Texas?

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by ABQCOWBOY, Dec 11, 2012.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,377 Messages
    1,402 Likes Received
    Just for the sake of discussion, and please don't everybody get all bent out of shape for suggesting Mack is gone, if Mack Brown were to step down or get promoted, who would be on the short list to replace him?

Thoughts?
  2. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,532 Messages
    808 Likes Received
    Jerry Gray.
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,442 Messages
    1,910 Likes Received
    I suspect that might make a pitch toward Peterson.
    But with only 50-50 odds of getting him, they may not want to risk the look of getting turned down.
  4. ABQCOWBOY

34,377 Messages
    1,402 Likes Received
    I would guess that Texas might look for a big name coach.

Would Les Miles consider Texas?

Would Brian Kelly consider Texas?

Would Muschamp consider Texas?
  5. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,090 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    It will be the usual suspects - Petersen, Patterson, Saban, etc.
  6. ABQCOWBOY

34,377 Messages
    1,402 Likes Received
    Jerry Gray would be a guy that I would love to see Texas consider but I am not sure that they would. I really like Gray.
  7. ABQCOWBOY

34,377 Messages
    1,402 Likes Received
    Peterson I don't know. Patterson just signed an extension for more money and Saban, I don't see him leaving Bama. Why would he? They can offer as much as Texas and he's already got it going there.
  8. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    ESPN was on a Saban to the NFL kick on Monday. I don't think he would go to another school but moving back to the NFL with the right team would be a possible move

How about Briles? He can recruit and knows how to play a Big 12 offense. With the right DC he could do big things at Texas.
  9. ABQCOWBOY

34,377 Messages
    1,402 Likes Received
    Briles doesn't fit Texas IMO. Texas loves Mack because he has the right personality, reflects Texas well and makes them a lot of Money. Briles, he's not that guy and I think Texas would rather have that. Besides, Briles can't coach defense and that's a problem.
  10. MC KAos

MC KAos Well-Known Member

7,494 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    I think Saban would be a candidate. As rich and powerful as bama is, Texas is the only school in the country that could offer him a 2 or 3 million dollar raise.

Outside of that chip Kelly would get a call, so would guys like Jon gruden, Texas would go big time to replace Mack
  11. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    This Saban talk is just pure comedy gold. No offense to my longhorn friends here, but be serious.

Saban would never sniff an offer from Texas and Texas would never pay him nearly 8million / year. You are out of your minds. :D
  12. MC KAos

MC KAos Well-Known Member

7,494 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Maybe the idea of Texas spending that much on a coach is far fetched, but the fact is they can afford it and nick Saban would more than just sniff it
  13. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,350 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    I would love to see the Oregon offense at Texas because I think we have better personnel to run it than they do but idt Texas considers him because of of the street agent shenanigans with him.

Muschamp is where he wants to be imo. Saban is waiting for the right opportunity for the NFL imo, he has proven he is the best in CFB and a guy like that isn't content with being the biggest fish in a lake, he wants to be the biggest in the ocean. Much like pete carroll.

I do wonder if urban meyer could be swayed like the kiffen debacle in Tennessee
  14. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I just find it funny why you think he would. Championships out the boots @ Alabama and you already are saying that Texas spending that much is far fetched. Please tell us what is it about Texas and its program that would entice Saban so much? If it isn't money, why would he leave a place where he walks on water and is pretty much the top program in the land year in and year out w/ him at the helm right now.

I am being serious here.
  15. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,350 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    honestly the biggest difference would be ease of recruiting, more money, and the city itself
  16. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,954 Messages
    4,037 Likes Received
    our next head coach is about 200 miles north on i35. seriously there isn't a coach with better connections in texas high school football than gary patterson.
  17. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    You texas fans crack me up ... Saban would never take your job no matter how much money you throw at him. Chip Kelly ... maybe ... but you would be in a bidding war with Phil Knight which im guessing you lose. Muschamp stays in the SEC East where he thinks he can dominate. Urban Meyer stays at OSU ... he was an assitant there years ago and knows he can win in columbus. Do you get "The man ... hes 40?" from Ok St? .... Your best option would probably be Patterson at TCU or Briles at Baylor ... but im sure the Texas alumni wont settle for those guys.

Im guessing they go into the NFL ranks to get their next coach. Probably John Harbaugh once Baltimore fires him. Or even better get the O Coordinator from New England
  18. Cythim

Cythim Benched

1,691 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Would Dantonio leave Michigan State? Saban left it for LSU, seems like a dead end job with so many big programs in a small area up there. He might be the best guy for the job but I'm not sure if he wants to move.
  19. Dallas

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Because he is starving for recruits in the SEC? You would think if it was only recruiting, Mack would be winning championships each and every year. Is Saban really not recruiting well? I can't tell.

More money than the 5.4mill / year he's already gettting? They would never pay him 6-7+, that has already been stated, so I don't think it is money at all.
  20. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,442 Messages
    1,910 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
    I was thinking the same thing.

Over the last 5 years, Alabama has enjoyed one of the best recruiting runs in the history of of college football.

They are WAY out in front of everyone else, on average.

Not that Texas has done poorly. They have been, on average int he top 5 or so.