1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Who'll be the Next Number 2 Quarterback?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboyMcCoy, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,384 Messages
    3,725 Likes Received
    Clearly I think this team needs to focus on the team as a whole. We have had some season where offense is putting up points only for defense to allow late TD and the end of the game to lose the game.

I agree with need to improve in our running attack so that defense can't just pin their ears back and go after Romo
  2. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,176 Messages
    2,012 Likes Received
    I completely understand your point of view here but honestly, I think we can't afford not to take a player like Manuel if he's there.

We have to start developing a QB or we will be in big trouble in a few years. It's not likely that we will be able to sign an UFA and strike gold again like we did with Romo. Lighting just doesn't strike twice like that.
  3. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Yeah sure did help Houston.

I would like a solid running game to have balance, but its not some magic cure to get us another ring. There is alot more wrong with this team than that and its just not that simple although I wish it was. We need to be trying to develop a QB now before we wait too late and have to be Redskin desperate.
  4. Doomsday101

78,384 Messages
    3,725 Likes Received
    One thing for sure before I stick a rookie QB behind center you better find an OL who can protect.
  5. Doomsday101

78,384 Messages
    3,725 Likes Received
    True it is not one thing however any thing that can help take pressure off the QB and give the defense something to worry about so that they don't just come after the QB would be a big help.

Does not change the fact we give up late leads, we put ourselfs in position to get back into the game only to see the other team march down the field and put up points.
  6. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,609 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    Brad Johnson.

That guy could really spin it.

I was so angry during the 2008 Brad Johnson fiasco that I was trying to challenge him to a throwing contest. I felt then, and definitely feel now - that I could throw a football farther in the air than him.

I figure on a good day with the wind behind me, I could pump it up a good 50-55 yards.

Figure on a good day with the wind behind him, Brad could throw it about 30.

Let's put these questions to rest, someone contacts Brad's agent.
  7. trueblue1687

trueblue1687 Well-Known Member

1,672 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    NO thanks...in any round
  8. Deep_Freeze

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    Yeah, I guess my issue with that line of thinking is that it would completely solve the problem. Pointing out QBs who help their teams by being able to run the ball themselves isn't something that we need to be worried about at all, not like Romo can read option.

The point is we need to think of all of our needs, and while a viable option at QB isn't an absolute need, its something that could decide our future more than any other position. Obviously I'm willing to give Romo another season, but to say we should just sit back and hope that he does better without preparing and planning ahead is just plain naive. Developing a QB outside of the Denver reject should be considered, doesn't have to be done but it also shouldn't be thrown out the window either.
  9. Doomsday101

78,384 Messages
    3,725 Likes Received
    I'm not opposed to getting a QB however if Dallas does not deal with their OL a rookie QB is going to get the crap kicked out of him.

Sorry I don't see the Cowboys problem as not having a QB I see the problem is we depend too much on 1 position to overcome the lack of play at other positions.

QB is not going to make the defense play better, a QB is not going to make the OL block better. I agree with White in his view of Romo and what is actually being asked out of him.
  10. Deep_Freeze

6,661 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    I'm not saying they shouldn't deal with the lines. What I am saying is that if a good QB falls to us, we should consider drafting him regardless of all this need based drafting that alot of people seem to want to do (which would be a major fail) around here.

We need more talent on this team period, and if its at the QB position, then I'm open to that also. At least the QB position can have trade value, unlike alot of other positions we 'need' so much. If they draft a QB, I won't be against it, but I'm not laying in bed at night wishing for one either, I can just see the need and not opposed to the pick if it happens.
  11. Doomsday101

78,384 Messages
    3,725 Likes Received
    I agree if a QB falls in the draft and the Cowboys can get him then great. Even if that player only becomes trade bait down the line. You either set yourself up for a replacement down the road or do what teams like NE and what GB did which was trade QB's they had drafted
  12. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,334 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    We need a mobile QB...someone who can simulate the read option offense in practices.