1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Who's our best defensive player - Lee or Ware?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Cowboy Brian, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,892 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    In the pre-season this would've still seemed like a ridiculous question, of course DeMarcus is better than Sean Lee but now after 3 weeks it doesn't seem so ridiculous. Ware is having an outstanding season as per usual but Lee is having an equally outstanding season. At this point I give the edge to Ware but I don't think that will be set in stone come next season. Sean may be out best defensive player at that point.

What does everyone think?
  2. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ware, but the gap is closing fast. I don't think Ware has declined at all I just think Sean has gotten so much better.
  3. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,464 Messages
    398 Likes Received
    :starspin :starspin :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: Ware ... not even close.
  4. BubbleScreen

BubbleScreen Member

832 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    I don't think there's a big gap between Ware and Lee. Meaningless, really.

The gap between those two elite players and Hatcher/Carter in the front seven is much larger.
  5. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,331 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    You're foolish if you think it's not close. It's definitely close
  6. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,839 Messages
    700 Likes Received

Are we considering just ability or the overall package? While not necessarily tangible or measurable, Lee's leadership contribute's to both the play and development of the overall team. Albeit a close argument, I'd say thing's are already edging towards Lee.
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,506 Messages
    6,254 Likes Received
    I'm on record that I think Lee's on track to be our defensive MVP this year. That hasn't changed in my mind after 3 games.
  8. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Care to elaborate on why it's not close? Again it's no knock on Ware he's still a great, great player and as good as ever, one of the all time greats, but Sean Lee is one damn good football player in his own right. I absolutely LOVE this kid. He plays the game with passion, he's great in coverage, he's great at making solid tackles, he's just great all around.
  9. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I apologize for saying that comment was ridiculous because I agree with it now.
  10. Cowboy Brian

11,892 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    Basically my belief in 1 sentence :D

With the way our defense is playing as a unit right now I think Ryan is our MVP :laugh1:. Lee does have a good shot at being the MVP this season, Ware already has 4 sacks, 2 ff so it won't be a blow away at the end of the season by either party. It'll be close between Ware and Lee.

The whole package, atleast that's how I look at it. The intangibles surely play in Lee's favor by a wade margin.
  11. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,008 Messages
    630 Likes Received
    Is this a trick question?
  12. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No it's an legit question. Just answer it or don't post in the thread.
  13. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,965 Messages
    423 Likes Received
    It's not close.

If Lee makes one impact play in a game, people point to it and talk about how great he is. If Ware makes one impact play in a game, people point to the other 65 plays and talk about how he disappears.

Lee is the best inside linebacker we've had in a long time and looks like he'll get much better, but he still has a ways to go -- and/or Ware has to decline quite a bit -- before he's on Ware's level as a player.

Ware is an all-time great who is still in his prime. Lee is still trying to get to a Pro Bowl level.
  14. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,480 Messages
    8,379 Likes Received
    Agreed. Not close at all. It's a ridiculous question to ask.

DeMarcus Ware is the only player in the league that could put up a 14 sack season and people would ask what's wrong with him.

You're used to Ware. You've become numb to his production. Lee's a new guy. His play is more eye opening.
  15. Cowboy Brian

11,892 Messages
    324 Likes Received
    You make a fair point. We are used to Ware being an absolute stud, but right now Lee is playing on that level. He is the best ILB in football right now, yes better than Bowman, Beason, Cushing and Willis. If you don't believe me the stats say the same thing, watching the game shows the same thing.

As dominant as Ware is on the field he is surely not a leader for this team, atleast not vocally. He leads by example but Lee has that vocal, Ray Lewis, let's get this going type of leadership in him. I certainly agree Ware is better right now but it isn't Ware at level 94 and Lee at level 65. Lee is knocking on the door.
  16. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,211 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Ware is the best defensive player on the team and probably the NFL. The better question would be: which player is more important to this defense? Lee is the quarterback of the defense, makes the calls and gets everyone lined up and makes the most tackles. How many seasons did the Cowboys have horrible defenses WITH a player like Ware? But when Lee plays, the entire defense seems to play better.
  17. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,933 Messages
    1,000 Likes Received
    This isn't really even up for discussion.
  18. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,331 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    You make a good point on Lee when he makes a great play vs when Ware makes a great play...but Lee makes just as many other plays as ware
  19. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,480 Messages
    8,379 Likes Received
    Ware's the best and most important player. By a country mile. He's the one pressure player we have on defense and he happens to be a generational type talent. You're talking about a guy putting up Reggie White type career numbers.

Sorry, Sean Lee can't carry his jock. That's just the reality of the situation.
  20. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,211 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Well the linebackers are the playmakers in a 3-4 defense. But really in a Ryan style defense they don’t really need a Ware type player, it’s more of a luxury. You generate pressure with scheme and with great corner play.

Rob compared Lee to Tedy Bruschi. That’s pretty good company. I think you are underestimating how important Lee is to the defense. You guys are too stuck on sack numbers vs team defense.