1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Who's our best defensive player - Lee or Ware?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Cowboy Brian, Sep 26, 2012.

1. EvilJerry88

EvilJerry88 Active Member

356 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Yes, he's not. Was a top 10 CB for one year. Was a** the next. Then average. Top 10.... is vastly overrating him.
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

76,269 Messages
    2,338 Likes Received
    I would say it is a tie. Clearly Lee can't do the things Ware does on the other hand Lee has skills that Ware does not have. 2 different players at 2 different positions both are key players on this defense.
  3. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,040 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    Matthews can't be stopped? Not only did he not record a sack against Seattle, he didn't even get a solo tackle. And if you want to just count this year, I'll also take 4 sacks and two forced fumbles over 6 sacks and 0 forced fumbles.
  4. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,237 Messages
    849 Likes Received
    I dont compare the two I'm just glad we have both of them.

I do however think #54 will be in this discussion by the end of the season though.
  5. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,745 Messages
    1,094 Likes Received
    Apples to oranges, two different positions.

Glad we have them both, and glad I don't have to choose, .. it's silly.

(hope you are even remotely right about #54)
  6. bigdnlaca

bigdnlaca Active Member

955 Messages
    29 Likes Received

Flowers and Lewis who are a part of that secondary hasn't played a snap yet.

They have Reeves being the 2nd corner and I think they just put him on IR.

We really don't know how well the Chiefs would of been if they had their secondary healthy at the start.
  7. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

10,583 Messages
    1,825 Likes Received
    They both are playing great. Ware's position makes bigger plays (sacks) on a more regular basis, but Lee does more for the defense as far as directing the unit and lining up guys before the play.

You can count on Ware to pressure the QB and disrupt things up front, but Lee is all over the place and his coverage in the middle of the field is superb.

The big pass rusher is more valuable and more difficult to find, but Lee is terrific in the middle.
  8. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,698 Messages
    2,049 Likes Received
    Ware.

I actually think the gap will soon (1-2 years) begin to close the gap between Lee and Carter.
    And Mo Clai may close and surpass the gap on both of them in 2-3 years.
  9. Joshmvii

Joshmvii Cowboys baby!

2,642 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    D Ware is one of the all time greats as a pass rusher. It's not some small thing to have more sacks than anybody else in the league over the past 5 or 6 years. And on top of that, if you watch the games, he makes more plays in the run game than most guys who are great pass rushers too.

Lee is a fantastic player, and I think he's going to be in the discussion of the top ILBs in the league soon, but he's not on the same plane of existence as D Ware yet. No way.

If Sean Lee had 2 sacks or forced fumbles in a game, fans are like holy crap look at this guy. If Ware does it, it's like oh cool he did it again, I wish he'd get like 4 sacks this game instead. =P
  10. EMMITTnROY

EMMITTnROY Well-Known Member

2,491 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    Thank you for bringing some sanity to this thread. I couldn't believe the replies I was reading. Agreed 100%.
  11. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,866 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    Lee is all-pro level.. He is leading the league in every stat for ILBs. He has 7 ints since 2010 (his rookie year) most of any LB.
  12. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,866 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    Lee continues to improve at a rapid pace. That needs to stop before Carter can catch him. Claiborne we will see, it is too early to make predictions like that.
  13. pupulehaole

pupulehaole Well-Known Member

1,424 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    Lee has never finished a season being the top at his position. DeMarcus Ware has done this countless times. Sean Lee is a very good player but he has some catching up to do when you're talking about Ware's HoF level of play IMO.
  14. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,592 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    Lee is incredible but Ware may be the best pass rusher of all time when its all said and done.

Better than Reggie, LT, all of em. And he's done it for the majority of his career without a solid secondary to give him extra time to get to the QB, no real pressure player opposite him to draw attention, and constantly facing double teams/chips.
  15. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,940 Messages
    323 Likes Received
    Say what? The ONLY stat he leads for inside linebackers is forced fumbles -- he and a bunch of other guys are tied with 1. He's not leading in interceptions (D'Qwell Jackson has 2, Lee has 1), passes defensed (Jackson has 5, Lee has 2), fumble recoveries (Lee has 0), sacks (Lee has 0) or tackles for loss (Mason Foster has 5.5, Lee has 0.5). Tackles are not an official stat, but Lee also doesn't lead inside linebackers in solo, assisted or combined tackles.

You might think Lee is playing at an all-pro level, but after three games, a lot of guys can say that. We'll see if Lee can make the Pro Bowl this season. I hope he does, but for the time being, he's still trying to get to that level.
  16. Apollo Creed

8,592 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    Lee isn't even the best ILB in his conference. Ware might be the best pass rusher of all time, definitely the best of his generation.

It's not a debate. For us sane people at least.
  17. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's definitely the best in this conference. Probably the best in the league.
  18. The Realist

The Realist Active Member

3,284 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  19. Apollo Creed

8,592 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    Patrick Willis says you're high.
  20. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Willis isn't even the best on his own team let alone the NFC.