1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Who's the SAM linebacker?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by TheSport78, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,309 Messages
    6,286 Likes Received
    The team has been preaching BPA lately. So I don't know how anyone can say there's no way we take a position in the first few rounds. That completely goes against that philosophy and really undercuts your scouts.
  2. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,474 Messages
    973 Likes Received
    Exactly. And our drafts lately have been exponentially better because of it.
  3. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,174 Messages
    717 Likes Received
    Here is a spot where I expect we'll likely look to fill in FA -- Wilber etc. are great if they develop, but a mid range FA who fits that system isn't going to be a huge investment
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,666 Messages
    2,390 Likes Received
    I don't think he's on the team right now.
  5. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,665 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    I agree, it doesn't make sense on the surface, but it depends on who's there, relative to who's available at those other positions. Besides, we took Murray in the 3rd two years ago, when RB didn't seem to be a need, and other positions seemed a higher priority.
  6. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,059 Messages
    215 Likes Received
    Was there a week 18 or week 19 game that i missed where Wilber looked excellent or even good? I was and still am hopeful on him but at no point was i impressed with his play last season. Hopefully he settles in and emerges next season.

Even though we're moving to the 4-3, the LB position should not be overlooked in the draft. Sims without the concussions would've been perfect on a 2 yr deal, but now you've got to unfortunately question his health. It can be argued that the Cowboys have better personnel along the DL, especially if Spencer and Ratliff are back, than they do at LB.
  7. blindzebra

blindzebra Well-Known Member

9,200 Messages
    351 Likes Received
    Need to add Orie Lemon to the mix at 6-1 242 he is the right size and showed pretty good coverage skills.
  8. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,271 Messages
    123 Likes Received

You don't think drafting in the top 10 the past 2yrs has anything to do with that?
  9. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    But it's also landing guys who seem like they can develop like Murray, Lee, Carter, Hanna, Crawford, etc.

I do think we have been drafting better the last couple of years. Maybe it's just luck . . . . but I have to give Garrett credit here. Maybe it's just that the staff is listening to the scouts more.
  10. TheRomoSexual

2,474 Messages
    973 Likes Received
    Um, no, considering I'm discussing our entire drafts, not just our first rounders.
  11. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,605 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    You know the funny thing to me is their isn't a position group on this team that couldn't use some youth or cut a guy for youth. Yet we still have some that say 'we can't draft blah blah blah', and the problem with this statement is it totally flies in the face of BPA and the recent success we have had from it.

Draft the BPA and worry about how they fit on the team later, the draft is about adding talent, not reaching for need. There will be alot of people on this board asking for us to reach for a linemen that they think will be ok according to their own board which they have no bias other than some internet website or youtube 'tape' they watched. Never interviewed the prospects, don't know anything about them other than what they read on some website.

Every time I read a post that says what we shouldn't draft it makes me laugh to myself and be glad that the Cowboys won't listen to the recipe for failure (and they used to do this garbage) that the poster wants us to do come draft day.
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,716 Messages
    3,220 Likes Received
    I don't. The NFL draft history of top 10 picks is littered with horrible picks.
  13. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,192 Messages
    761 Likes Received
    They drafted Kyle Wilber in the 4th round last year. He didn't do much as a rookie but he was drafted to be a potential starter and even the Ravens had interest in him. Jerry also mentioned they had high hopes for him at that spot. That's the guy I want starting there.
  14. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,605 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    I share in your hope for Kyle, as really he is the best hope for the spot. With that said, he had plenty of time last year to take hold of playing time and a starting spot with all the injuries and he didn't do it.

Kyle shouldn't be the reason we don't draft a guy for the position if a talented one is available, cause he has proven nothing. We should be in the business of talent acquisition when it comes to the draft cause I would rather have a talent overload than a bunch of reaches to fill needs (of course SLB is a need anyway).
  15. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,271 Messages
    123 Likes Received

Tyron Smith---Good rookie year struggled 2nd year with a switch to LT(still think it was a great pick)
    Bruce Carter--Hurt 1st year, hurt 2nd half of 2nd year---injury prone
    Demarco Murray----Hurt rookie year, but when on field was great, same his 2nd year, injury prone.
    David Arkin---Can not make it to the field
    Josh Thomas---cut
    Dwayne Harris---Not a great rookie, came on strong 2nd half of 2nd year
    Chapas---Cut
    Nagy----Cut

Claibourne---Not really an elite corner IMO(I liked the pick though)
    Crawford---Seemed serviceable, I don't really see a pass rush for him to play end.
    Wilber---Got nothing
    Johnson---Injury prone
    Coale---nothing
    Hanna---Seems to be talent there.
    McSurdy---Nothing

I think the drafts have been a tad better, but nothing to write home about.
  16. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I think if you look at many NFL franchises, you typically only get 2-3 solid contributors in any one draft.

In fact, imo, if you end up with 4+ contributors from a single draft class, you're doing very well. And if you can do that consistently for several years, you're doing incredibly well.

As for our last 2 draft classes, I think we can have between 4 to 5 solid contributors from each of the last 2 draft classes.

Unfortunately, we need another couple of very solid draft classes to compensate for some of the poorer previous drafts from a few years ago.
  17. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,192 Messages
    761 Likes Received
    In Kiffin's defense it's just not a position that he needs an impact player at. FS and DT (DE if they lose Spencer) are the positions of need.
  18. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,788 Messages
    3,523 Likes Received
    He was a better fit in the 3-4 scheme. Speed is his biggest issue.
  19. TheRomoSexual

2,474 Messages
    973 Likes Received
    Your point? We're talking about a third rounder, not a first.
  20. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

35,895 Messages
    3,043 Likes Received
    I don't see the draft and BPA/position of need as being a black and white issue. While you rank players numerically top to bottom you can also put them into tiers. Nothing wrong with drafting a player at a position of need if they are in the same tier as your other options.