1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why all the Gruden love?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Hussein, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Hussein

Hussein Member

131 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I have no idea why so many people are in love with this guy. Ever since his SB win (granted he won one), with a team assembled by Dungy, he has a record of 45 - 51 with 2 wild-card losses in the first round.

That doesn't scream overwhelming success to me. No other team seems interested in him - so why should we?

:bang2:
  2. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

27,388 Messages
    474 Likes Received
    cause he's a shiny object people will equate to instant success.
  3. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,152 Messages
    273 Likes Received
  4. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

......he's pretty comfy in the broadcast booth too: he isn't going anywhere IMO: he can stay at espn for another 10 years plus if he keeps his nose clean. Make a mil per year plus endorsements and work 80% less hard than he would as a HC. Jimmy and Cowher found out the same thing: it's easy money and head coaching is a hornets nest.

.....I think JJ goes to Holmgren when it's over and done with Red: doesn't matter if it's this offseason or next: he's been enamored with Mike for a LONG time. And as we saw yesterday, age isn't a hurdle with Al Jr.:laugh2:
  5. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

26,869 Messages
    1,134 Likes Received
    I'm not a big fan to be honest.

His offensive schemes are just as bland as Jason's.
  6. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,043 Messages
    59 Likes Received

I am not a fan of Gruden, but he wants to work hard. He sleeps something like 3-4hrs per night.
  7. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

26,869 Messages
    1,134 Likes Received
    Agreed but if you have a quarterback you should be able to get better success than Garrett has gotten.

But since we don't play to win until the game is on the line he has a 500 record.
  8. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

26,869 Messages
    1,134 Likes Received
    I don't doubt that Garrett works hard. He's just not that good of a coach unless he can out athlete the opposing team.
  9. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,437 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    I think that Gruden could do a lot with this offense. He has never - as far as I know - even had a decent QB on one of his teams and he has still won. He has a bit of swagger/attitude about him and I like that as well.

He has a really good offensive mind and I think he and Romo would be outstanding.

I would love him to come here as OC - I know it would never happen though.
  10. Venger

Venger Well-Known Member

2,357 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    I absolutely do not want Gruden. Everything I hear from him in the booth reinforces that opinion.
  11. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

5,199 Messages
    555 Likes Received
    No, he is a better coach. Anything over 8-8 is an improvement.
  12. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,460 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    And let's not forget that Gruden's last team flat quit on him. It was the 2008 season. All the Bucs needed to do to get in the playoffs that year, was win one game in December, with the last two being at home against teams below .500 at the time, and lost all of them. Have friends in Tampa/St. Pete, and they all said his act had gotten old.
  13. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,143 Messages
    258 Likes Received
    I would rather jerry go and over pay for dungy.
    I don't really care for either Dungy or Gruden.
    Gruden won due to Kiffin great defense.
    Dungy won due to Payton Manning.

I think if we give Romo a OL Murray will give romo a great ground game and get kiffin guys this team will be fine with Garrett.

No matter whos the HC, without a running game, OL, and Kiffin having thw right pieces we arent going to win
  14. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    No Gruden love here, I dont want him anywhere around this team
  15. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,460 Messages
    509 Likes Received
    Read the OP. In six years following a SB win with a team he didn't build, the team went 45-51, only making the playoffs twice and losing their first game both times. If all we're going by is the fact that he won a SB, then we never should have fired Switzer.
  16. Aurican

Aurican Member

89 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Because he has actually accomplished something unlike Garrett who is the posterchild of mediocrity? Not only did Gruden win a SB with Tampa he also built an Oakland Raiders team that went to the AFC Championship game and the following year under Callahan went to the Superbowl. He also did it under a meddling owner very like our own and will keep Romo on a very short leash.
  17. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,595 Messages
    176 Likes Received
    You have to realize that you are dealing with a good amount of folk in here that believe major changes do not need to be made. Which is crap..

no Gruden Love here.. He beat a team that he built and had a blueprint as to what they were going to do to win the Superbowl.. Plus. hahah, it was the Raiders...

Most in here are being content with what Dallas has. Others in here think one turd is shinier than another turd.

Both turds are turds.

Nothing gets better until the GM is removed and the HC is gone.

Don't care who they bring in. And, we will sit through the hell because the Dallas Cowboys are like our children..

And you don't abandon your children. No matter how bad they piss you off.
  18. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,175 Messages
    1,433 Likes Received
    Oh, maybe it's the one Superbowl win with Brad Johnson and another 12-4, AFC Championship game season with Rich Gannon.
  19. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

9,737 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    Gruden is a Holmgren disciple. He runs a WCO variant and was considered one of the better game planners in the business for a while.
  20. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,436 Messages
    386 Likes Received
    What has he done with a team he has to build himself?