1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why all the Gruden love?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Hussein, Jan 12, 2013.

1. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,195 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    2 freaking years!
  2. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

9,802 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    Who built the Oakland Raiders he took to the AFC Championship game, or the Raider team that Callahan took to the Superbowl?
  3. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,099 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Check his rosters during that six year span...then check how far under the salary cap the Bucs were.

There's more blame on the owners and Bruce Allen then some want to believe. In my opinion, Gruden had enough his last season and wanted to open the checkbook.

To the member who posted that Gruden hasn't had a great QB, you are correct. I think Garcia was the best all-around QB that Gruden had coached.

I'd love to see what he could do with Romo.
  4. wileedog

9,802 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    And that's why I think Gruden would jump at this job despite having to deal with Jerry. He may be a PITA, but there is never a problem getting him to spend $$$.
  5. HowAboutThemCowboys

HowAboutThemCowboys Well-Known Member

2,447 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    I don't necessarrily have alot of love for Gruden, but he is a major uprade over Redball.
  6. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

4,894 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    A few questions that no one can answer...

1. Name one team that Jon Gruden has interviewed with this year?

2. What about baby brother Jay?

Can anybody explain why Jay is the flavor of the month and not Jon?
  7. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,005 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    Despite Gruden's chummy persona on TV, he's reported to be an abrasive schmuck behind the scenes. And not the 'Tough, gets people motivated' type, the 'What an ***hat, I can't wait to leave this team' type.

He ran a better offense than Dungy. Not a difficult thing, Dungy's offense was Parcells without the innovation and risk taking.

Going after Gruden is a Snyder-esque move -- oooh, a shiny name that I recognize! It would actually be far more of an indictment of JJ than staying the course. Anyway, the signing of Kiffen pretty much nixes that deal, if those numerous reports are to be believed.
  8. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    John has let it be known that he is content where he's at. Reports have said he would only come back to the right situation. Rumor has it that Dallas is the right situation. Jay would be happy with a HC position anywhere.
  9. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,756 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Will you guys put down the stat books for a second and look at what he brings vs. Garrett. He's a hard nosed intense guy that would have never let monstrosities like Chicago and Seattle happen this year.
  10. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

4,894 Messages
    145 Likes Received

He also made it known that he wanted to get an opportunity with the Eagles but they haven't even given him the time of day.

I wonder..
  11. wileedog

9,802 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    I don't care what Keyshawn has to say...

Seriously, win and no one wants to go anywhere.

Again, to quote Lab above, he took Rich Gannon to an AFC Championship and Brad Johnson to a Lombardi.

I'm sorry, I'll take that kind of bad offensive coaching any day.

Last I checked Snyder was in the playoffs with a better HC and GM than we have.
  12. cowboyeric8

5,195 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    Haha okay. Check all the games he has coached, and get back to me.
  13. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,606 Messages
    631 Likes Received
    That's a good point. Still don't like the way things ended in 2008. Seemed like he lost the team.
  14. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,156 Messages
    1,334 Likes Received
    Remember when we beat Tampa with Brad Johnson as our QB?

Our defense was awful that year but somehow our defense completely shut down Grudens offense.
  15. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,756 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    I forgot about the indisputable success we've had under Garrett. 0/3 in season finale elimination games. Look I'm not saying a switch to Gruden is the right move but he's a better coach
  16. cowboyeric8

5,195 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    0/3? Yeah right now Gruden is better. But it is hard to tell what kind of head coach he will be after only 2 years. Give it time. IGS.
  17. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

2,972 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    I think Gruden was probably a bit burned out himself.
  18. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,005 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    Of course, if Snyder had followed your plan, he would have fired them last year.
  19. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,278 Messages
    2,836 Likes Received
    Pro coaching career
    In January 1992 when he was 28, Gruden was hired by Mike Holmgren, his former boss at the San Francisco 49ers, to be the special offensive assistant/wide receivers coach with the Green Bay Packers. After three seasons in Green Bay, Gruden became the offensive coordinator of the Philadelphia Eagles under former Packers assistant coach Ray Rhodes. Gruden then was chosen by the owner and general manager of the Oakland Raiders, Al Davis, to be the Raiders' new head coach for the 1998 season.

Oakland Raiders
    Under Gruden, the Raiders posted consecutive 8–8 seasons in 1998 and 1999, and leapt out of last place in the AFC West. After uniting with journeyman quarterback Rich Gannon, Gruden led the Raiders to the top of the AFC West and made the playoffs three straight seasons (the third time under Head Coach Bill Callahan). Oakland finished 12–4 in the 2000 season, the team's most successful in a decade, and its first division title since 1990, ultimately reaching the AFC Championship, where they lost 16–3 to the eventual Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens. While Gruden was with the Raiders, Gruden acquired his nickname "Chucky" from Raiders defensive lineman Grady Jackson, who thought that the coach looked like the fictional character "Chucky" in the 1988 movie Child's Play.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    After compiling a 40–28 win-loss record (including playoffs) in four seasons with the Raiders, Gruden replaced the fired Tony Dungy as head coach of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2002, via a high-stakes trade that included Tampa Bay's 2002 and 2003 first-round draft picks, 2002 and 2004 second-round draft picks, and $8 million in cash. The trade took place for a number of reasons, including Davis' desire for a more vertical passing attack rather than Gruden's horizontal pass attack, the fact that Gruden's contract would expire a year after the trade, and Davis' uncertainty over whether Gruden was worth as much money as his next contract was sure to pay him. Gruden signed a five-year contract with the Buccaneers worth $17.5 million.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Gruden
  20. wileedog

9,802 Messages
    475 Likes Received
    Last I checked Shanahan is a veteran, widely respected, Superbowl winning coach who just got his QB this season.

Garret is a no name coordinator with no prior HC experience (and very little other experience) who inherited a team with a bona fide QB in his prime.

But yeah, the situations were exactly the same.