1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why all the Gruden love?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Hussein, Jan 12, 2013.

1. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,041 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    After Elway retired, Shanahan went 7 years with no playoff wins, along with three losing seasons. Jake the Snake was his QB choice. His drafting record was very spotty. (Outside of running backs, where he is spectacular).

According to your plan, you'd fire Shanahan again.

For the record, I think Shanahan's done a real good job this year (depending on the RG3 knee blowout outcome).

Gruden's just another shiny toy. Grasping at the next available shiny toy is pretty much the definition of suspect management.
  2. lane

lane The Chairman

11,020 Messages
    882 Likes Received
    :bow:
  3. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,972 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    thanks tony dungy. I owe you one.
  4. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,562 Messages
    537 Likes Received
    Aftter watching years of Cupcake Wade and Red, we are desperate for a motivating football guy who runs an offense that Romo and our OL could thrive in.

Plus Callahan went to SB with Gruden's team in OAK so what is your point?

:banghead:
  5. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,589 Messages
    2,467 Likes Received
    Gruden took the Raiders out of the toilet and into the AFCCG before he went to the Bucs.

He was also 8-8 his forst two years at Oakland. He's a winner but he's been away from football for years now and a is a first class abrasive jerk. He alienates people including management and his players.
  6. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,139 Messages
    829 Likes Received
    What the hell are you talking about? What is my "plan?"
  7. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Mostly because of his attitude and that he's a fiery guy and knows how to coach in many situations. I'd rather have Cowher though.
  8. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Dallas needs a jerk in the country club. Maybe he could break the that mentality up. He has mellowed with age it seems.
  9. arglebargle

5,041 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Gruden, who desperately tried to trade for and sign an aging Jake Plummer, and Cowher, who steadfastly claimed that Kordell Stewart was a pro QB....hmnn...
  10. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    Does anyone find it odd that no one can name one team that Gruden has interviewed with?

By all accounts teams should be lining up at his door...
  11. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,889 Messages
    2,064 Likes Received
    If only those GM's and owners were as football smart as some of the CZ posters.
  12. arglebargle

5,041 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    The 'change coaches every two years' plan? All the coaches mentioned here have had bad runs, some of which included really poor personel management. I personally feel you have to give a coach 3-5 years, if you are willing to hire them in the first place. Barring complete meltdowns, or obvious chicanery, that is.

The fanbase desperately wants a simple scapegoat.
  13. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Gruden has let it be known that he is happy where he is. In other words he has let it be known that he is not going to interview. He seems to make the statement every offseason.
  14. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Then you have Garrett. He has a good QB and don't know what to do with him.
  15. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,139 Messages
    829 Likes Received
    Except that is not a plan, much less mine.

As I said, Shanahan is an experienced, accomplished coach who didn't have a QB until his 3rd season. No reason to fire him last year when he didn't have a QB to work with and there were obvious improvements anyway, especially on defense.

Garrett was an inexperienced coordinator who had never been the HC of so much as a pee wee team. He has never even been a particularly successful coordinator, his best years coming when Sparano was here and helping him. And he inherited a team that was in the playoffs the year before he took over, and had an established QB already on the roster and in his system for his entire career.

Garrett has done not a single thing, not one, in my eyes that proves to me that he is a)qualified for this position and b) not in over his head. I'm not in favor of having a "learn on the job" HC, and even his most ardent supporters have to admit some of his mistakes have been flat out bush league.

Again, I would not have fired Shanahan because he has the skins on the wall that prove he knows what the heck he is doing, and he was showing incremental progress even before getting RG3. And he did a marvelous job this year with him. Yeah he ended with a bad run at Denver, but so did Reid in Philly. That's the way it goes sometime when a good HC is too long in one spot.

I would happily fire Garrett tomorrow because he was given much more than Shanahan to start with and has done a lot less with it. And he has no history, no experience, no resume, no accomplishments as a professional football coach I can point at that indicates that next year is going to be significantly different than this one.
  16. Bluestang

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received

So why all the hub-bub about him in the 1st place if he's happy where he's at?
  17. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Dallas HC is one of a very few position that would bring him back to coaching. He has made several comments hinting that he would like to coach the Cowboys. It would take a special situation to bring him back. This is it.
  18. Bluestang

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received

He's also made comments about getting an opportunity with the Eagles but they haven't given him the time of day.

When the first time actually gives him a call, then I'll believe it but since he hasn't even gotten a phone call from anyone despite his desire to return I'll keep laughing at this.
  19. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Do you honestly think he hasn't had calls? He wouldn't have to come out and repeat he is staying at his current position every year if he hasn't gotten some calls. You may be a Garrett supporter or a Gruden hater, maybe both. Jerry meeting with Gruden in December starter some of these rumors and Gruden is a proven coach with a Super Bowl and playoff sucess, something Garrett lacks.
  20. Bluestang

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received

Where is the proof that Jerry met with Gruden?

I understand that Gruden wants a high-profile job but I wouldn't consider the Eagles or the Bears low-profile jobs.

One phone call, just one, heck I just want someone to name one team...