1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why all the Gruden love?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Hussein, Jan 12, 2013.

1. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,613 Messages
    2,500 Likes Received
    Look he has not been very good but 'no name' is pretty ignorant. He was given several HC interviews and was offered a job for what that is worth. They know who he is by name.
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    What record would be good enough from previous coaching jobs to be worth considering?

I'm always curious when people bring up his record because it isn't like there are guys with amazing winning percentages, skins on the wall and youth just waiting to be picked up. Teams seem to have a hard time letting those qualifications go for some reason.

Honestly just looking for some sort of agreeable area so as to make future discussions easier in that we can rule out anyone below a set point.

Perhaps people would like Gruden because he's won before. Even if we take the leap that Dungy built his team, lets throw out a few other implications of that argument.

1. Gruden had a chance because Dungy couldn't win with that team. At the very least management didn't think he could and based on the fact that Dungy only got 1 SB out of one of the best QBs to ever play, it's hard to argue he would have somehow put it all together with Brad Johnson.

2. If Dungy built Tampa, doesn't Gruden get credit for building Oakland? So basically he built one team into a Superbowl contender and then got another team over the hump?

3. If Dungy built Tampa, Parcells built the 2007 season. There's an interesting thought. This board is pretty polarized over him, having this Dungy example should make future discussions a little less argumentative regarding what Parcells did for the team now that we're going to carry following season successes and failures over to a new head coach.

Perhaps people think that Gruden wouldn't take the job as a puppet and in getting Gruden, you get less Jerry..........unlikely but I think it's not out of the realm of reality that a guy with a championship under his belt would accept unnecessary meddling when he could go elsewhere and not have to deal with it.

Or, perhaps people realize that Gruden worked under Al at one point which pretty much means if there's anyone capable of dealing with the nuisance, it might be Gruden.

Maybe though, people realize that Gruden has never had a QB as good as Romo and if he could win with the slop he had at QB, theres hope he could win with Romo.

The record argument cracks me up because there are times when members on this board seemingly ignore Garrett's lackluster start as a head coach because Jimmy or Landry had their fair share of growing pains. Somehow the successes of others from decades ago implies success in the future for Garrett.

Amazing coaching records aren't sitting at home next to the phone. Basing what a guy can do for you on a record that was built with largely inferior QB play seems like a pretty narrow perspective. Here's what we know about Gruden. With the right pieces he can win a championship.
  3. FuzzyLumpkins

16,613 Messages
    2,500 Likes Received
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...on-gruden-to-interview-for-open-coaching-jobs
  4. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,550 Messages
    731 Likes Received
  5. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    Perhaps he's waiting for a job he wants.

Dude's young and has a very cushy job right now. Time is on his side, he doesn't need to dive head first into a sewer just for the sake of being a coach again.
  6. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    Common.sense should tell you some things don't reach the media. Don't you think trams try to keep these things private? How many teams want to go public with getting turned down? Did you brag about girls that wouldn't go out with you? You question the December meeting between Jerry and Gruden because it was just a rumor. Now you want rumors as evidence that Gruden has had job offers.
  7. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,437 Messages
    1,034 Likes Received
    :post:

Thank you Hoof. I was beginning to feel like some people are insane.
  8. ryanbabs

ryanbabs Active Member

759 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Lets not forget he built up the Raiders too and ironically played them in the SB.
  9. FuzzyLumpkins

16,613 Messages
    2,500 Likes Received
    I just gave you an article from less than a month ago saying that multiple teams contacted him. That article is from NFL.com.

I normally like your takes but the article is pretty explicit about multiple teams contacting him.
  10. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,758 Messages
    10,046 Likes Received
    I think both Gruden and Cowher are extremely picky about where they will coach next.
  11. Silverstar

Silverstar Active Member

3,969 Messages
    24 Likes Received
  12. Bluestang

5,550 Messages
    731 Likes Received
    This time of year you can [insert any HC/OC/DC's name] in a media article about a job opportunity and make it stick.

Gruden has been linked to the Cowboys for 3 years now and I've grown tired of same senseless media reported whatever they can to make story.

The day Gruden actually has a formal interview with one team I'll believe the stories but the facts are that the guy everyone covets hasn't gotten the time of day while his brother Jay seems to be the more popular Gruden in the family.
  13. FuzzyLumpkins

16,613 Messages
    2,500 Likes Received
    And you seem to be intent on a blanket dismissal despite proof to the contrary. With your paradigm any article is questionable and to be discounted. You wanted proof that teams talk to him and you were given it.

The article was explicit in saying that teams had contacted him and what the response was. There was no 'maybe,' 'possibility,' or other speculative language. It was declarative. You are saying they are lying essentially.

I don't want him here by any means but its not like he is a pariah.
  14. Bluestang

5,550 Messages
    731 Likes Received

So now he "coveted" CAR? What happened to the Eagles job that Jaws lobbied for him?

But the structure wouldn't work for him:

Unbelieavable.
  15. Bluestang

5,550 Messages
    731 Likes Received

I wanted proof of an interview, but it appears that the specific teams that Gruden wants to work for don't even want him in the first place.
  16. FuzzyLumpkins

16,613 Messages
    2,500 Likes Received
    You make the assumption they turned him down. They contacted him from what was said and he wanted to wait until the season is over. Super Bowl is in 3 weeks right?

You really don't like Gruden.
  17. Bluestang

5,550 Messages
    731 Likes Received
    It makes sense to you that he wants to wait until the SB is over to interview with a team meanwhile other teams without HCs are interviewing candidates now?

I actually think he'd be a good fit here because of his personality. He'd be well received with the media, sort of like Parcells, and like his coaching style. He's no nonsense type of guy.
  18. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,408 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    Crediting Dungy for that win is like crediting Barry for the Cowboys SB win.

Gruden is better than Dungy. Much better.

Problem is that Gruden runs a very complex verbage in regards to his QBs.

Strange to me that he really only wants the Carolina job if it opens up.

Gruden is not coming to Dallas unless they make him the highest paid in the league. He would go to Carolina for less.
  19. FuzzyLumpkins

16,613 Messages
    2,500 Likes Received
    Since when does what I think matter? The article was explicit. You have La Confora saying 4 teams contacted him. I don't know what Gruden is thinking nor do you. Making the assumption that he thinks like either of us is fallacious.

4 teams contacted him. He said he wanted to wait. Why? We haven't been told but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.
  20. FuzzyLumpkins

16,613 Messages
    2,500 Likes Received
    Nice story. I like making stuff up too but I prefer prefacing it with an admission that I am just guessing.