1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why are you a Cowboys fan?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by tyke1doe, Nov 1, 2013.

1. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,974 Messages
    919 Likes Received
    I asked this question on another site (more in general to why people route for the team they do), but I want to explore this topic beyond the surface. I hear so many Cowboys fans say to other Cowboys fans "Well, you're not a true fan"? Can a true fan get fed up with losing? What defines a true fan? Or more to my question ...

Why are you a Cowboys fan? I'm not asking when you became a fan but why? What is it about the Dallas Cowboys that makes you a fan and continue to be a fan?

Is it the star? Is it the location (Dallas)? Is it the history? Is it because they won in their earlier years, and you were enamored with that? Is it the players?

What holds your loyalty as a fan? And what circumstance would have to happen for you not to be a fan?

Could you be a fan if the Cowboys moved to Los Angeles? Could you be a fan if the Cowboys changed the "star" emblem?

I'm curious to read your comments. Thanks.
  2. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,960 Messages
    464 Likes Received
    Born and raised in Dallas.
  3. 30yrheel

30yrheel Well-Known Member

2,648 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    As a kid I liked the uniform and their style. When they lost to the Colts in the SB was my first Cowboy heartache. Then Roger took over and I was hooked.
  4. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

2,174 Messages
    848 Likes Received
    I have been a fan since I was seven. I was a huge Tony Dorsett fan, and became a fan of the team watching him play. From his cool, slow walk to his great spin move, to his explosive speed and great ability in the screen game, watching Dorsett hooked me.

I continue to be a fan because once I became a fan of the team, I don't change my loyalties.

It's ingrained in me at this point. I'm not going to change my loyalty in terms of rooting, no matter how much Jerry Jones attempts to make that happen.

Considering I was New York born and bred, and currently live in Chicago, the location doesn't matter to me.

As far as the logo is concerned, it will never change from the star, as it is too iconic, and very much the brand of the Cowboys. If they did, it wouldn't change my fandom. After all, I have stuck with the team despite going away from the serif numbering and adding green pants.
  5. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    Yes, Stars are my favorite shape.

Srs though. All family members have been fans... The Cowboys are the only thing that keeps Thanksgiving dinner tolerable.
    Doomsay likes this.
  6. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,905 Messages
    1,010 Likes Received
    This. My dad worked for the Cowboys indirectly as part of the airline ground crew when they traveled. I couldn't help becoming a fan when I was getting cocktail napkins with autographs every week from coaches and players. I still have an autographed Tom Landry picture on my nightstand next to my wife's picture. :D
    RastaRocket likes this.
  7. XDez88BeastX

XDez88BeastX Active Member

273 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    Because as a child they were every where. The fantastic 3 of Jordan pippen & rodman for basketball & aikman smith & Irvin for football where like real life super heroes to me & just because of long term mediocrity past the 90's you can't turn your back on your favorite team
  8. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

2,016 Messages
    506 Likes Received
    Tony Dorsett and Danny White
    alicetooljam likes this.
  9. Canadian BoyzFan

Canadian BoyzFan Active Member

3,315 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    ...because I am blessed.
    jobberone and theranchsucks like this.
  10. eyato

eyato New Member

27 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    Third-generation SMU Mustang
  11. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,947 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    My mother grew up in Fort Worth: her parents made me a fan.
  12. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    I ask myself this all the damn time.

Raised in Dallas though.
  13. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,496 Messages
    390 Likes Received
    1970s, I liked the team name city name and star, 9 year olds tend to be superficial like that.
  14. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,847 Messages
    1,452 Likes Received
    Live 1,500 miles away, but Roger Staubach made me a fan, and nothing ever will stop me from loving them
  15. dragon_mikal

dragon_mikal Darth Jones strikes again! Zone Supporter

5,526 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    I was born with it and there is no cure. The only remedy is post season success so I've suffered. Man have I suffered.

Dad is a die hard and I followed in his footsteps. Been really watching and paying attention since Campo's last year. (I was 18 years old) my first true memory was of my dad after SBXXX and how emotional he was, lol. He really hates the Steelers.
    Corso likes this.
  16. TheCowboy

TheCowboy The Teen

2,515 Messages
    519 Likes Received
    Honestly when I was a kid I watched little Giants and loved the Cowboys in the movie. They had great uniforms and were the bigger team. So since I was 3 or 4 I've been a Cowboys fan since.
  17. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Benched

97 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    I'm a local. Fan of Cowboys, Mavs, Stars, and Rangers. Just need the Rangers to win a World Series and it will be a clean sweep of the major team titles.
  18. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,814 Messages
    4,888 Likes Received
    Jason Garrett
    BigStar and jobberone like this.
  19. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,496 Messages
    390 Likes Received
    I see what you did there ;)
    theranchsucks likes this.
  20. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,117 Messages
    5,596 Likes Received
    Born n raised in Dallas. I've had several family members work for the Cowboy over the years.