1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Why Callahan as OC/Playcaller is Genius

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by brooksey1, Jan 22, 2013.

1. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,122 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    It really would be a great move for us. The biggest weakness Jason has had as the OC is situational game & time management, no answer to the blitz in big games, problems running the ball and scoring inside the redzone. Some of these problems are personnel problems mainly on the offensive line and some are based on the offensive "Air Coryell" philospohy with these particular players. The Air Coryell vertical attack is not very friendly to Romo with this line...especially against the blitz. They plays take a long time to develop and zone blitzes force Tony in turnovers.

Callahan fixes these problems. First Jason will be able to fully immerse himself in the game management process on both sides of the ball. Callahan will continue to run the Cowboys Air Coryell "number based" system and add some of his WCO plays for Tony. This is important, because we don't have to learn a new offense just add new plays.

Callahan can install WCO plays, assign them a number with Garrett and make the offense more Romo friendly. When we're not in shotgun, more three step drops and get rid of it, the short passes should open up more running lanes and deep balls plus take some pressure of Romo and the "OL". If we can get the running game going we have the play action/boot rollouts for Romo similar to how Rich Gannon was used and how and Aaron Rodgers is used today. It allows them to make more plays with their feet and and can punish the blitz. Both systems are timing based and I think we can thrive with Dez and Romo now on the same page. Romo may need to make some adjustments from reading the deep man first to going through more progressions and dumping it off if nothing is open. I think we can bring that along slowly and he can do it, he's a great student.

Really what we'd be doing is moving from Coryell to a hybrid Coryell/Walsh WCO using the same number system we are using now. At the end of the day Jason will be better, Tony will be better and we can focus the main philisophical difference on the defensive side of the ball.

I love the idea and think this is where we're heading.
  2. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    And he has headcoaching experience if we start off slow.

Im not really wild about this, it has an air of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, but I also dont see how it could possibly be worse than the crap we watched in the first half of football games last season.
  3. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,675 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    not to be a jerk, but how do you know all this?
  4. EvilJerry88

EvilJerry88 Active Member

355 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I think it's in Garrett's best interest as a head coach. He won't be overly involved in one side of the ball. Callahan is definitely, experienced. We won't be totally revamping the offense, but Callahan may show better in game management on offense than JG, more creative play calling, etc. Offense shouldn't change so I don't see any kind of huge change but those little costly mistakes at the end of games with clock management and things may be better handled by Callahan which could be the difference between 7-9 and 11-5 or 8-8 and 12-4. We have potential.
  5. dupree89

dupree89 Well-Known Member

1,837 Messages
    996 Likes Received
    I love the idea of Garrett not calling plays/in charge of the offense anymore.

I have been negative about Garrett but I am man enough to admit that I think this might make a world of difference in Garrett's success as head coach.

As for whether they appointed the right guy...I will take your word for it as I dont have enough background on his philosophy/tendencies to make my own judgement.
  6. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,549 Messages
    3,399 Likes Received
  7. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,579 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    The idea that Garrett will get better at game management by having more time to think about his decisions does not make me optimistic.

He's already lost in the headlights and overthinks things. Now, he'll suddenly improve at this thing he's so horrible at by having more time to make the wrong decision?
  8. brooksey1

1,122 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    I dont. I'm listening to Jerry who has been very vocal about making the offense more romo friendly since our loss to the skins. It is no secret that Romo is suited for a WCO. Callahan is a WCO guy but there is no way we are installing the WCO. The offense is very complex and we don't need to do that while we also flip to a 4-3 on defense. With Callahan and Garrett together, we simply add some WCO "Romo " plays and keep our current number system.

Jerry wants it now and this gives us the best chance to do it, in the shortest amount of time.
  9. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,243 Messages
    328 Likes Received
    Jerry has been trying to make the offense more 'romo friendly' for 7 years now. How is that working out? Maybe things shouldn't be so friendly. Just saying.
  10. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

4,812 Messages
    610 Likes Received
    Yeh and who's been the OC/playcaller for most of that 7 years? It's about time we make a change.
  11. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,428 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    While I may not be as optimistic about this as you, I'd like to thank you for an intelligently thought out post. Nice change of pace from the troll party.
  12. Sb or Bust

Sb or Bust Active Member

211 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    Wonder if Callahan will also send in two plays at the same time. Romo yelling kill kill kill and snapping the ball with 1 sec left is something I've grown very fond of the last couple of years. (Sarcasm)
  13. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,381 Messages
    530 Likes Received
    I heard callahan calls in four plays :eek:
  14. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

8,655 Messages
    3,578 Likes Received
    whoa that sig hurts.
  15. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,155 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    I'm guessing SF fans have the same sig since they have had 3 players arrested in the last year and let's not forget Crabtree and his "questioning" about sexual assault prior to a playoff game.
  16. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,387 Messages
    167 Likes Received

sig of the year. LMAO:lmao2:
  17. egn22

egn22 Active Member

815 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    You make a good case for why you feel that way, but in the past we've all been guilty (including jerry) of believing we've diagnosed the problem and provided a solution, only to find out that the diagnosis was wrong.

Don't get me wrong, i don't care for Garrett's playcalling at all. I've just seen similar situations to this, where Jerry addresses the change that is believed to be necessary, only to find out that there are a slew of other issues.

We got Rob Ryan who was believed to be an ultra aggressive, ultra creative defensive mind. This was supposed to solve the issue with the lack of pressure... his style was supposed to be just what we needed..... 2 yrs later... fired. And Monte Kiffin is the new hot name (and i'm just as guilty as everyone else because i'm thoroughly excited about the switch to 4-3)

Callahan was supposed to be the O-Line wizard that was going to resurrect the careers of Bernadeau and Livings, and maximize the talent of Free, Smith, & Costa..... ummm yeah, no.

Now Callahan is our knight in shining armor that will provide just the right solution to our offensive woes.... i gotta pump the brakes here. I'm at a point that i just have to see it to believe it.

i get the excitement. i totally get it, and i'm not criticizing any posters here. I just can't help the been there done that feeling i have in my gut right now. not completely sold just yet. the draft and free agency will do a lot to ease my concerns if we do a good job there.
  18. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,336 Messages
    677 Likes Received
    Didn't you know that Gandalf is just a myth and only God can create miracles? :p:

Callahan needs more talent! :)
  19. egn22

egn22 Active Member

815 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    exactly, and hopefully this will happen through both the draft and free agency.
    I still have hope! they can't take that away from me! lol
  20. brooksey1

1,122 Messages
    218 Likes Received

I hear you but I think that Callahan improved our offensive line the best he could considering what he was working with. Toward the end of the season there was noticable improvement.