1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

why can't Mike Thomas be Steve Smith?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Bob Sacamano, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    both are short, stocky WRs, but Mike Thomas had better workout numbers than Steve Smith did coming out, better vert, better broad-jump, better 10-yard, better everything, yet all the pubs say that he can't challenge deep

Steve Smith was also projected to go in the 2nd/3rd round, and wasn't in the tier 1 of WRs in his class

so why can't Mike Thomas be like Steve Smith?
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,224 Messages
    1,818 Likes Received
    You never know. On paper he could...and I like Thomas. Still, I give him a 5% chance--which is pretty good given Smith's skill level. :eek:
  3. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,657 Messages
    2,360 Likes Received
    He could. But shorter WRs are always going to be lower-rated, no matter how many times guys like Smith and Moss show that shorter guys can kill.
  4. dallasfaniac

dallasfaniac Active Member

4,197 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I really like Thomas and would be happy to see him in Dallas. I think he will make it into the 3rd and could possibly see late 2nd but with this deep WR class who knows.
  5. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    what I'm talking about is Steve Smith is considered a deep threat while people are writing off Thomas ever being that, when he's got just as good long-speed and leaping ability
  6. Paniolo22

Paniolo22 Hawaiian Cowboy

3,606 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I would be ecstatic if we got Thomas with our 3 or 4. I think he'll be a steal. His quickness is unreal and he's got great hands.
  7. dallasfaniac

4,197 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    There are two questions scouts had about Mike Thomas. First, his size. Second, Arizona's spread offense. I think they were answered with great combine numbers and standing out at both the Senior and Shrine bowls.
  8. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I'd like him in the 3rd.

He's got great speed as well.
  9. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He can.

Like you said. Steve Smith wasn't 'Steve Smith' when he first got into the NFL.

All of these rookie WR's will have to put in a lot of work to become solid pros and that includes Crabtree.
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,991 Messages
    1,023 Likes Received
    Not to mention excellent PR guy. Fills two holes, stretch the field and special teams.
  11. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    i thought steve smith was faster than mike thomas
  12. dallasfaniac

4,197 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Steve Smith's fastest ever 40 was 4.38. Thomas' official combine time was 4.4 (4.3 unofficial). Smith is about an inch taller and weighs 10 pounds less. Smith was drafted to be a returner but proved people wrong, the jury is still out on Thomas. I think he'll be good but it's all up to him.
  13. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,092 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    cool thanks dallas
    i thought steve smith was faster;
  14. SLATEmosphere

SLATEmosphere Benched

9,633 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think Mike Thomas can very much be like Steve Smith. I remember When Steve came out of Utah being very raw and just simply being a speedy guy. I really hope we take him..worst case scenario..he's a solid punt returner.
  15. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,405 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    i like Thomas a lot, would be my pick as we need some speed and we need a PR/KR. I'd still take another WR like Wallace, Iglesias, Dillard, Barden, or Knox.
  16. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,991 Messages
    1,023 Likes Received
    I'd take any of those guys except Barden. I'd rather have Patrick Turner than Barden.
  17. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,615 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    if we draft him, lets hope he has Smith's playmaking ability and brashness, but not Smith's knuckleheaded behavior.
  18. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,991 Messages
    1,023 Likes Received
    Listen to Fiutak gush about this guy, Dallas needs to draft him. Love the plays through pain part.

19. Letemburn

Letemburn Member

787 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I would love to have Mike Thomas, ive watched him quite a bit throughout his career at Arizona. Pac-10 all time reception leader.
  20. This is Our Year

This is Our Year Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike

1,395 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    The more I'm reading about this kid he sounds like an interesting prospect, would be of great value in the 5th if we could land him!