1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

why can't Mike Thomas be Steve Smith?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Bob Sacamano, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,679 Messages
    6,439 Likes Received
    Guys, he's 5'8". That's really short. Plus, he's a filthy Mildcat.
  2. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,801 Messages
    1,594 Likes Received
    Hey, Wes Welker's only 5'9" and I'd take him in a heartbeat too.

I think Thomas could give this team a lot of what it currently needs, some speed and shiftiness in both the receiving and return areas.
  3. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    MJD.

[youtube]QuANqQw_d4s[/youtube]

I will show that video to anyone who thinks that size should be a determining factor when trying to figure out if a player can make it in the NFL.
  4. dcfanatic

dcfanatic Benched

10,408 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Goose likes your comparison to Steve Smith...

http://nflblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/04/anatomy-of-a-prospect-arizona.html

Anatomy of a prospect: Arizona WR Mike Thomas

3:00 PM Sat, Apr 18, 2009 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
    Rick Gosselin [IMG] E-mail [IMG] News tips

Take one look at Mike Thomas and you see a commodity the NFL does not want -- a 5-7 1/2 wide receiver. Big people play at the next level and big people survive.

But the more you look at Thomas, the more you like him -- which is why he's going to turn up in this draft in the middle rounds. What he lacks in size, he makes up in speed. Thomas ran a 4.30 40-yard dash for the NFL at the combine. That showed the NFL he certainly has the speed to play at the next level. Thomas also launched a vertical jump of 40 1/2 inches, so he has the athletic ability to play at the next level as well.

I saved the best for last -- watch tape of what Thomas does with the football in his hands. He was a two-time All-Pac 10 selection as a wide receiver. He leaves Arizona as the Pac 10's all-time leading receiver with 259 receptions. He also was a two-time All-Pac 10 choice as a kick returner and leaves campus with career averages of 23.5 yards on kickoffs and 13 yards on punts. He scored 28 career touchdowns -- 23 on receptions, two on runs and two on kickoff returns.

With the NFL moving more and more toward the pass and the influx of three- and four-receiver sets, Thomas pencils in as an elite slot receiver.

Think Steve Smith.
  5. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received

It's hard to argue with that production for sure.